ADVERTISEMENT

N.C. GOP nominee compared Planned Parenthood, men with saggy pants to KKK

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Planned Parenthood. Men with saggy pants. People who tore down Confederate flags and monuments. The Rev. Al Sharpton.
Mark Robinson, the GOP nominee in one of this year’s most competitive governor’s races, has declared them all comparable to or worse than the Ku Klux Klan in social media posts that have drawn little attention. The posts are part of a long record of comments ranging from provocative to bigoted that are getting more scrutiny as the campaign heats up in North Carolina — and that some Republicans worry will be a liability in a battleground state.

Cut through the 2024 election noise. Get The Campaign Moment newsletter.

Robinson has become one of the year’s most polarizing candidates, winning enthusiastic support from the conservative base and disdain from Democrats. Campaigning to become his state’s first Black governor, he has touted his potential appeal to Democratic-leaning minority voters as a rising conservative who “looks like them” and offers “common-sense solutions to the problems that they face.”

His past comments could complicate that outreach, and they have drawn criticism from other Black leaders. Robinson has criticized the civil rights movement of the 1960s and attacked prominent Black people in harsh and offensive terms, calling Michelle Obama, for instance, a man and an “angry, anti-American, communist black lady” who speaks “ghetto” and “wookie.”

Robinson’s references to the KKK, a white-supremacist group that has terrorized Black Americans, underscore the risks Republicans have taken in nominating him — a longtime factory worker who posted a wide range of insults on Facebook before he became a viral hit on the right with a speech about gun laws in 2018. He was elected lieutenant governor of North Carolina in 2020 and won the gubernatorial primary by landslide this month with former president Donald Trump’s endorsement. At a rally, Trump praised Robinson as “Martin Luther King on steroids.”
In 2014, Robinson wrote on Facebook that “an ignorant man with a sheet over his face in the country and an ignorant man with his pants hanging off his behind in the city are two sides of the same worthless wooden nickel,” adding a hashtag that suggested he was talking about people of different races: “ignoranceknowsnotcolor.”

In 2016, he likened certain Black people to those enslaved on plantations: “A ‘plantation minded’ negro hates a free thinking black person worse than ANY Klansman EVER could or EVER will.”
The next year, he wrote that he considered the KKK less reprehensible than “Black gang murderers” and Planned Parenthood, a health nonprofit whose services include abortions. “The KKK never claimed to love black folks like many of the murders in Chicago probably do, and the KKK never tried to eradicate the black race like PLANNED PARENTHOOD is,” he said, putting the KKK third in his ranking of “most evil.” Other posts took similar aim at Planned Parenthood or, as he called it, “klanparenthood.”
A spokesman for Robinson’s campaign, Michael Lonergan, said in an email that The Washington Post’s and other news outlets’ reporting shows “there is one set of rules for white liberals in the press, and another for black conservatives.”

He noted two instances of cartoonists comparing Republicans to the KKK in local news outlets. One of them depicted former Kentucky attorney general Daniel Cameron, who is Black, grabbing the “coattails” of a white-hooded Trump. Another, from 2021, criticized Republican members of the North Carolina education board — which includes Robinson — with an illustration of a white-hooded elephant.
Both cartoons sparked backlash at the time, including from Robinson, who held a news conference denouncing the education board’s depiction. The opinion editor of the company behind the drawing had defended it as “hyperbole and satire.”
“That you would portray a Black man, just because he’s in the GOP, as a Klansman … the hypocrisy is mind-numbing, folks,” Robinson said next to a big screen displaying the cartoon. He called it “vile.”

A reporter noted at the news conference that Robinson’s critics might call him a hypocrite because of his own statements on social media. News outlets had not picked up on the KKK posts but had covered others that featured antisemitic tropes, homophobic statements and an abundance of abrasive language.
“When I made those posts as a private citizen, I was speaking directly to issues that I’m passionate about,” Robinson responded at the time. “But as a public servant … I have to put those opinions behind me and do what’s right for everyone in North Carolina. And I’m grown enough to do that.”
The policy dispute behind the cartoon was illustrative of Robinson’s approach to race as an elected official. Echoing other conservatives around the country, he has forcefully criticized many anti-racism efforts as misguided while arguing that Democrats are overly focused on racial identity. On the North Carolina education board, he opposed new social studies standards that eventually passed with the phrase “systemic” removed from a discussion of “racism.”

Marcus Bass, whose group Advance Carolina focuses on engaging Black voters in the state, said he will be working to raise awareness about Robinson’s past statements and record. “He is a culmination of the worst sound bites, the worst sections of blog sites,” Bass said.
Doug Wilson, a Democratic strategist in North Carolina who is Black, predicted that voters will recoil as they learn more.
“If you look at the folks we elect, they’re pretty mild-mannered,” Wilson said.
Robinson’s critics have sometimes taken his words out of context, fueling his supporters’ common refrain that people are out to smear him. Recently, widely shared video clips of Robinson saying he wanted to “go back to the America where women couldn’t vote” left out his justification that he admired Republicans in that era who he says “fought for real social change” and helped expand voting rights.

But the context of many of Robinson’s most controversial statements is clear, making some in the GOP queasy. North Carolina’s state treasurer, a Republican, accused Robinson of “spewing hate” while running against him in the primary contest.
Robinson has occasionally drawn attention on the forums of Stormfront, a white-supremacist website founded in the 1990s by a KKK leader from Alabama. A 2021 thread praised Robinson’s comments on LGBTQ people and Jewish people, among others. Asked about the mentions on Stormfront, Robinson’s campaign did not directly address them and generally accused the media of treating Black conservatives unfairly.
Other public figures of various backgrounds have gotten blowback for comparing foes to the KKK. Former GOP presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy, who is Indian American, was criticized for calling a Black Democratic congresswoman one of the “grand wizards of the modern KKK.” In 2019, Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), who is Black, defended his reference to Trump as “the grand wizard of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue” and cited Trump’s false claims about Barack Obama’s birthplace as well as his comments about good people “on both sides” of the infamous white-nationalist rally in Charlottesville.

Robinson made KKK comparisons in more than a dozen Facebook posts over several years. Some of them refer to Black people. In 2015, Robinson addressed a Facebook post to “all those black folks running around attacking people for carrying flags and ripping flags off houses and trucks and … all the people on social media who applaud their foolishness,” an apparent reference to Confederate flags.
He called them as ignorant as “any Klansman,” adding the hashtags “counterproductive” and “apelikebehavior.”
Another post featured a photo of Sharpton, a liberal Black civil rights leader, next to a picture of a Klan member and said, “TWINS!!!!!!!!!”
Sharpton predicted in an interview that Black North Carolinians will mobilize against Robinson and said that comparing Sharpton’s nonviolent activism on racism and voting rights to the KKK is “as politically asinine as one can get.”
Decades ago, according to news reports, Sharpton linked some New York politicians to the KKK while advocating for a woman whose rape allegations were eventually rejected by a jury, which concluded they were fabricated. Sharpton noted that the woman was found with the letters “KKK” on her torso and said, “I was speaking on behalf of someone I believed at the time.”

Let me just say this. At first I was a little worried that the reference to 'saggy pants' was simply describing the antithesis of the skinny pants that most male cub reporters at the WaPo wear, as I am decidedly in favor of those saggy pants relative to the alternative. As to the ones that are being held up by the thighs, get ones that fit, or a belt, or a rope, or at least something...don't be that guy this morning who reached into his and immediately lit up his skunk weed next to me when I exited the bus.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman
Here's a May 2020 tweet from the current GOP candidate for superintendent of public instruction:

RTV03iqC_400x400.jpg
Michele Morrow[/B]‏ @_stand_firm[/USER]
follow @_stand_firm
More
Replying to @[B]DeplorableChoir[/B]
I prefer a Pay Per View of him in front of the firing squad

I do not want to waste another dime on supporting his life.

We could make some money back from televising his death.
#Obamagate

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT