ADVERTISEMENT

ERs in Vermont

ihhawk

HR Legend
Feb 4, 2004
Fort Lauderdale
Interesting story about what’s happening in a Vermont but this easily could describe other states including Florida. I believe governors and the local media need to quickly hold press conferences letting people know of the proper procedures and locations for the PCR tests….like we did earlier.

Reactions: wjr1818
With the explosion in testing about to happen, there does need to be some new messaging when testing positive (I.e. don’t freak out). A lot of people that have followed all the masking and vaccination rules are still going to test positive and just guessing, are more likely to overreact.

Just had a thought pop in my head: will mass testing backfire? Maybe it actually will cause greater stress on the health care system when people freak out over minor symptoms with a positive at home test and seek doctor care or emergency room care when they do not require such care.

Just had a thought pop in my head: will mass testing backfire? Maybe it actually will cause greater stress on the health care system when people freak out over minor symptoms with a positive at home test and seek doctor care or emergency room care when they do not require such care.
It clogs the emergency rooms because people want the PCR test after their positive rapid test.

Case numbers mean nothing now. The sooner people realize that then the smoother this will go. It's about hospitalizations and deaths. I'm actually not opposed to only testing those with symptoms, and having no quarantine for asymptomatic cases or if you're 24 hours past symptoms.

Never understood through this whole pandemic unless your sick enough to need medical attention why does it matter if you have covid or a simple cold. Yes if a doctor is treating you he needs to know what you have. If your just staying home drink plenty of fluids and rest. All this testing just feeds the paranoia.
I think part of it is that people don’t want to get others sick and cause a school shutdown or workplace shutdown.

It’s the pandemic of the unvaccinated though.

Actually the tweet you posted agrees with the idea that it is a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

Vaccinated people are less likely to have symptoms, illness, hospitalization and death. The current version of the pandemic is harming and killing the unvaccinated in the whole. It was a pandemic of everyone when there were no vaccines. Hopefully the therapeutics will continue to tamp down the worst outcomes.

Case numbers mean nothing now. The sooner people realize that then the smoother this will go. It's about hospitalizations and deaths. I'm actually not opposed to only testing those with symptoms, and having no quarantine for asymptomatic cases or if you're 24 hours past symptoms.
My biggest issue with this is that I have no faith in people doing the right thing. Or many of them even having the ability to follow basic instructions.
I have a client booked to travel to Peru tomorrow. He called me last Monday to ask some questions and was extremely congested and coughing quite a bit as we were talking. Calls again Friday because he tested positive on his pre travel test. Calls me and says I don’t understand (cough, cough) how I could be positive. I have no symptoms. (Cough)

This is part of the bad messaging from the start. Our government and media sent everyone into full blown freak out mode from the start.
At that time, people were dying at a fairly high rate. The freak out was justified and saved millions of lives. Now doctors know how to better treat the infected.

Never understood through this whole pandemic unless your sick enough to need medical attention why does it matter if you have covid or a simple cold. Yes if a doctor is treating you he needs to know what you have. If your just staying home drink plenty of fluids and rest. All this testing just feeds the paranoia.
Im fine with only testing the people with symptoms especially since they can test sewage systems and measure broad level infection rates that way.

My wife and I, from Washington State, are visiting our daughter and family in New Jersey, which currently has the second highest infection rate in the country. This new omicron virus is super contagious. Our daughter lives in a masked-up highly vaccinated community. Numerous of her friends (in their 30’s and 40’s, and their elementary age children) have come down with the virus in the last week. Being vaccinated with the booster does not necessarily protect a person from catching the virus but the symptoms are usually mild, maybe congestion and aches. The people who are ending up with more serious cases or in the hospital, for the most part, are the unvaccinated or immune compromised. From our experience here, the following seems to be true: omicron is super contagious; if you are vaccinated, chances are your symptoms will be minor, like a mild case of the flu; if a person is unvaccinated, chances are much greater of having a more severe case and ending up in the hospital. The way this new strain is spreading so fast, I would expect it to continue rapidly moving West, so Iowa should expect a wave within the next month or even sooner.

Reactions: win4jj
My wife and I, from Washington State, are visiting our daughter and family in New Jersey, which currently has the second highest infection rate in the country. This new omicron virus is super contagious. Our daughter lives in a masked-up highly vaccinated community. Numerous of her friends (in their 30’s and 40’s, and their elementary age children) have come down with the virus in the last week. Being vaccinated with the booster does not necessarily protect a person from catching the virus but the symptoms are usually mild, maybe congestion and aches. The people who are ending up with more serious cases or in the hospital, for the most part, are the unvaccinated or immune compromised. From our experience here, the following seems to be true: omicron is super contagious; if you are vaccinated, chances are your symptoms will be minor, like a mild case of the flu; if a person is unvaccinated, chances are much greater of having a more severe case and ending up in the hospital. The way this new strain is spreading so fast, I would expect it to continue rapidly moving West, so Iowa should expect a wave within the next month or even sooner.
Where in NJ? It's true that the virus is out of control here right now. We were going to brave visiting friends for Christmas Eve, but received a call a few hours beforehand saying they were infected with Covid. Schools in our community will go remote for the first week back from break (I'm guessing they will extend that). Our suburban town of about 25K has about 100 confirmed new cases a day right now. I'm guessing the real infection rate is 2-4 times as high.

At that time, people were dying at a fairly high rate. The freak out was justified and saved millions of lives. Now doctors know how to better treat the infected.

No, there has never been a reason to freak out. For most individuals the odds of serious illness are very long. It’s a serious public health issue because it is so contagious that even though the odds of any individual dying are small, the absolute numbers are still very high.

We were less freaked out this fall than we were spring of 2020, even though just as many people were dying. This is not about numbers.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Im fine with only testing the people with symptoms especially since they can test sewage systems and measure broad level infection rates that way.
Exactly, and sewage samples indicate omicron was the dominant strain 2-3 weeks ago.

Where in NJ? It's true that the virus is out of control here right now. We were going to brave visiting friends for Christmas Eve, but received a call a few hours beforehand saying they were infected with Covid. Schools in our community will go remote for the first week back from break (I'm guessing they will extend that). Our suburban town of about 25K has about 100 confirmed new cases a day right now. I'm guessing the real infection rate is 2-4 times as high.
Ridgewood.

Ridgewood.

Coincidence. I lived in Ridgewood for twenty years - raised my children there. Wonderful town. We moved out six years ago when our kids were out of school because the $15k in property tax did not seem sustainable for retirement.

Coincidence. I lived in Ridgewood for twenty years - raised my children there. Wonderful town. We moved out six years ago when our kids were out of school because the $15k in property tax did not seem sustainable for retirement.
Our daughter and family moved to Ridgewood three and one-half years ago. They really like Ridgwood, and I think it is an exceptionally nice town. The downtown must have 30 restaurants and is an entertainment center for the surrounding communities. My daughter has lived in Portland, OR., San Francisco, LA, Dallas , Chapel Hill and the Battery in Manhattan, but Ridgewood appears to be where she and family will put down roots. Where did you move to?

Our daughter and family moved to Ridgewood three and one-half years ago. They really like Ridgwood, and I think it is an exceptionally nice town. The downtown must have 30 restaurants and is an entertainment center for the surrounding communities. My daughter has lived in Portland, OR., San Francisco, LA, Dallas , Chapel Hill and the Battery in Manhattan, but Ridgewood appears to be where she and family will put down roots. Where did you move to?

We moved to Delaware: about two hours south of Ridgewood. What schools do the grandkids attend?

The only somewhat down side of that area is that 90% of the people there were born and raised in the area, so all of their family and childhood friends still live there. My wife and I are very outgoing, and wound up running half the youth organizations in town, so we made a lot of friends. But we were never really “first circle” of anyone’s group. It was hard to plan things with people because almost every weekend they are going to a wedding/christening/funeral/birthday party/etc. but it was a great place to raise kids.

We moved to Delaware: about two hours south of Ridgewood. What schools do the grandkids attend?

The only somewhat down side of that area is that 90% of the people there were born and raised in the area, so all of their family and childhood friends still live there. My wife and I are very outgoing, and wound up running half the youth organizations in town, so we made a lot of friends. But we were never really “first circle” of anyone’s group. It was hard to plan things with people because almost every weekend they are going to a wedding/christening/funeral/birthday party/etc. but it was a great place to raise kids.
They attend Ridge elementary. Fortunately, it seems most of our daughter’s friends are not originally from the area but moved here from elsewhere.

They attend Ridge elementary. Fortunately, it seems most of our daughter’s friends are not originally from the area but moved here from elsewhere.

West side - nice. Can’t imagine what a house cost them, though whatever it was they’ve gained a bunch of equity by now.

Just did. We are not a smart country.
I’m not going that far. I think there is some mass confusion that needs some leadership from the governors.
People need to know where the best place to get a PCR test is if you tested positive on the rapid test. This summer I knew where all of the Free testing sites were but now I have no clue. The website have not been updated. People are going to the ER to get tested.

I’m not going that far. I think there is some mass confusion that needs some leadership from the governors.
People need to know where the best place to get a PCR test is if you tested positive on the rapid test. This summer I knew where all of the Free testing sites were but now I have no clue. The website have not been updated. People are going to the ER to get tested.
Our ER won't test. Triage tells them to go to their doctor.

Reactions: 3boysmom

Our purple county in a red state has very detailed information on the health department website showing where you can get tested, what kinds of testing they offer, hours they test, and it’s separated by free and at a cost. One of the biggest failures of this whole thing is that there is no coordination to make information transparent and easily accessible nationwide. Presumably what a pandemic response team would have done?

editing to add a link to what we have here

More and more even those of us who are vaccinated are resigned to the possibility that we may end up with some measure of illness from Omicron, be it a cold or cough.
Fwiw, I got a message today from someone that works for me that she is covid positive. Fully vaxxed, mild symptoms. I think A LOT of people are going to get it soon...but it will very mild for almost all.

Fwiw, I got a message today from someone that works for me that she is covid positive. Fully vaxxed, mild symptoms. I think A LOT of people are going to get it soon...but it will very mild for almost all.
Which is exactly why we need to move away from 10 day isolation ASAP. It makes no difference except to critical service industries where it negatively affects it. Teaching. Healthcare. EMS. etc.

Isolate until fever free 24 hrs and symptoms improving and well enough to work. Then back at it. Continuing to act as if we are even going to remotely be able to mitigate any of this at this point is a waste of time and ignores reality. We need way more policy that makes sense with the conditions on the ground. If we’d do that, peoples faith in said policy would go up massively. Instead we cling to prior decisions and recommendations like they were delivered to Moses on two tablets from God.

Postulate. Study. Learn. Adapt. Investigate etc.

My biggest issue with this is that I have no faith in people doing the right thing. Or many of them even having the ability to follow basic instructions.
I have a client booked to travel to Peru tomorrow. He called me last Monday to ask some questions and was extremely congested and coughing quite a bit as we were talking. Calls again Friday because he tested positive on his pre travel test. Calls me and says I don’t understand (cough, cough) how I could be positive. I have no symptoms. (Cough)
Yes people are idiot. Moreso after this pandemic started.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT