ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN NBA Draft Analyst: Payton has a Ready-Made Skill for the NBA

The comments on Payton:

Sandfort proved to be one of the nations most lethal and versatile shooters, knocking down 38% of his threes on a tough shot diet/massive volume (13.2 3PA/100) and over 90% of his FTs. Sandfort not just a shooter used his gravity to make plays for his teammates, upping his ASTs to ~3 a game with a 2/1 AST/TO ratio. The 6’7” wing has a lot of Sam Hauser in his game.

Check this out & watch:

The comments on Payton:

Sandfort proved to be one of the nations most lethal and versatile shooters, knocking down 38% of his threes on a tough shot diet/massive volume (13.2 3PA/100) and over 90% of his FTs. Sandfort not just a shooter used his gravity to make plays for his teammates, upping his ASTs to ~3 a game with a 2/1 AST/TO ratio. The 6’7” wing has a lot of Sam Hauser in his game.

Check this out & watch:

Used his gravity to make plays for his teammates????

• Haha
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Some more video of his workouts:

I think we can all appreciate the tremendous talent, skill and work it takes to refine ones game in order to get to the highest level of any sport. Just watching that video exhausts me. To make those moves so many times over, and over, and over that it becomes as easy for them as drinking a glass of water is insane. Kudos to all of them for putting in the work. Hope it pays off and they make a nice return on their investment.

With that said, at the end of the day, his career at the next level will come down to 75% on how well he plays defense and not be a liability when isolated. Not so long ago there we many who could have a nice long career just because they could shoot lights out, while also being a defensive liability...that is not the case in today's league.

And so we're clear, I'm not saying Payton can't get there, hopefully he does.

Just not until after he comes back for one more year as a Hawkeye. :cool:

I think we can all appreciate the tremendous talent, skill and work it takes to refine ones game in order to get to the highest level of any sport. Just watching that video exhausts me. To make those moves so many times over, and over, and over that it becomes as easy for them as drinking a glass of water is insane. Kudos to all of them for putting in the work. Hope it pays off and they make a nice return on their investment.

With that said, at the end of the day, his career at the next level will come down to 75% on how well he plays defense and not be a liability when isolated. Not so long ago there we many who could have a nice long career just because they could shoot lights out, while also being a defensive liability...that is not the case in today's league.

And so we're clear, I'm not saying Payton can't get there, hopefully he does.

Just not until after he comes back for one more year as a Hawkeye. :cool:
Yep, just like Luka. His defense has kept him from sticking in the league. The guy can score...

Defense looks different when you are defending the most skilled players in the world and you aren't allowed to grab and bump.

Most of what passes for defense in college would be called a foul in the NBA.
Absolutely. Guys who say they don’t play defense haven’t watch a game since Jordan retired and they changed the hand check rules.

Absolutely. Guys who say they don’t play defense haven’t watch a game since Jordan retired and they changed the hand check rules.
The 90s were awesome in their own way, it was equal parts basketball, football and wrestling.

It was definitely a more intense sport but the skill level was so much lower.

A lot of the guys today probably couldn't make it in that era and most of the guys from that era couldn't play in this nba.

The 90s were awesome in their own way, it was equal parts basketball, football and wrestling.

It was definitely a more intense sport but the skill level was so much lower.

A lot of the guys today probably couldn't make it in that era and most of the guys from that era couldn't play in this nba.
Well said. 80’s and 90’s was my era as well. While the players today are more skilled than ever, and the way they call the game is actually how it was meant to be called, it’s still just hard to get used to watching teams shoot 35-40 3’s a game. But these guys today are phenomenally skilled.

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT