ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN NBA Draft Analyst: Payton has a Ready-Made Skill for the NBA

I can remember a player drawing as many fouls on 3 point attempts as PS. His crafty quick curl cut and immediately pulling up with his quick release is NASTY

I got in trouble here a while back when I mentioned that PS has a much higher and quicker release than JBO or Joe W. It was almost like i said JBo and Joe W sucked.

Payton can get his shot off in a crowd. it's so quick and high that's it's really tough to block even inside,
I'd compare him to Joe W, but with a quicker release. I thought Joe was a better shooter & better all around player than Sandfort.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I love Payton. But if Wieskamp can't stick in the league Payton pretty much has no shot
On the other hand, G League players are paid fairly well to develop new skills as well as refining current skills. There are always some teams that will look for a particular set of skills and fit for their organizations. Pascal Siakam is an example of a G League player who became really good in the NBA.

Reactions: hawkirugged17
On the other hand, G League players are paid fairly well to develop new skills as well as refining current skills. There are always some teams that will look for a particular set of skills and fit for their organizations. Pascal Siakam is an example of a G League player who became really good in the NBA.

Liam Neeson GIF

On a serious note, I think he has a shot... he just needs to be more consistent. 2-8 shooting nights in the NBA won't keep you around long. He can definitely improve a lot next year and be a drafted player.

That's a very NEGATIVE thing to say about a current Iowa player!!
I assume you're referring to my posts in the John McCaffery thread.

There is no existing mound of negativity about Payton that I'm contributing to. It's water beading off of wax vs water collecting with water.

Plus, when I start the post by saying that I love Payton, I think it can pretty easily be interpreted as objectivity rather than bashing

Reactions: cmhawks99
I assume you're referring to my posts in the John McCaffery thread.

There is no existing mound of negativity about Payton that I'm contributing to. It's water beading off of wax vs water collecting with water.

Plus, when I start the post by saying that I love Payton, I think it can pretty easily be interpreted as objectivity rather than bashing
I'm messing with you, in the other thread you were mad about Iowa fans being to critical.

Khris Middleton, Danny Green, and others as well.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I love Payton. But if Wieskamp can't stick in the league Payton pretty much has no shot
Way off base. They’re not the same player. Joe W while probably a better overall player does not have the 1 particular skill set of Sandfort. Guy can and will shoot it from anywhere and can get it off as quick as anyone. NBA and college are not comparable games.

Way off base. They’re not the same player. Joe W while probably a better overall player does not have the 1 particular skill set of Sandfort. Guy can and will shoot it from anywhere and can get it off as quick as anyone. NBA and college are not comparable games.
As far as an NBA 3pt shooter I would actually take Joe. He has more natural NBA range. His release has become quicker, he shoots better than PS off the dribble, and his athleticism allows him to get off shots with less space than PS needs

As far as an NBA 3pt shooter I would actually take Joe. He has more natural NBA range. His release has become quicker, he shoots better than PS off the dribble, and his athleticism allows him to get off shots with less space than PS needs
You're saying he has a quicker release than Sandfort?

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Disagree. Joe in college almost never drove for baskets and I don’t recall him hitting a lot of deep 3s. He mostly shot from the corners or layups. PS has developed a very good midrange shot as well as some floaters that Joe never did. PS is a much more versatile scorer. He’s also a much better passer, although he’s making a lot of stupid turnovers this year.

Disagree. Joe in college almost never drove for baskets and I don’t recall him hitting a lot of deep 3s. He mostly shot from the corners or layups. PS has developed a very good midrange shot as well as some floaters that Joe never did. PS is a much more versatile scorer. He’s also a much better passer, although he’s making a lot of stupid turnovers this year.
Payton's not playing with an elite scorer like Luka either. Or an all time 3 point shooter like JBo. Joe could score at three levels. They posted him up on mismatches quite a bit. Not knocking PS, but Joe was a tough as nails player.

Although Payton can shoot very well and is plenty tall, he has agility and ball handling deficits that affect his shot more than it should. The stepback airball 3 and the missed layup through minimal contact were two examples I would point out from yesterday.

Although Payton can shoot very well and is plenty tall, he has agility and ball handling deficits that affect his shot more than it should. The stepback airball 3 and the missed layup through minimal contact were two examples I would point out from yesterday.
Again, doesn’t matter. If he makes the NBA it will be as a 1 trick pony, which is because of his quick release and range. If a team thinks that’s valuable he’ll have a chance. If not he has way to many other weaknesses.

unfortunately for him, there are several reasons he's projected as a mid to late 2nd round draft pick

@BioHawk , there's been buzz for a while now
I know, that's why I'm asking. I've seen this happen with several other players that I didn't think were ready and many of them have had decent careers in Europe so I don't really trust what my feelings are. I think Sandfort is not good enough on defense but evidently that's not a big concern for the role he would play on a professional team so who knows.

Reactions: Franisdaman

Lol he hit a ton of deep threes

Despite what people think defense is actually more important for a role player than their offense is.

It's why so many Hawkeyes haven't been able to make it but Kris was a first rounder.

It's not primarily about offense.

Payton needs to come back to Iowa his senior season and get stronger, physically more mature and continue to work on his footspeed and other weaknesses.
Haase out of MSU has stuck with celtics after 4 years of college ball.
Juaquez out of UCLA was a 4 year college guy and he has been a big contributor immediately.

Good teams are starting to take older guys in the draft who can play right away.

Payton has played really well this season. Way better than I thought he would. I'm really pulling for him to get to the NBA. But he needs to use every bit of eligibility he has to get himself ready to have a career in the NBA. The Big 10 does not have half the talent that Joe's team played against. And doesn't compare well with the NBA. He needs to work on his strength, extending his distance and the consistency of his shot.

I know, that's why I'm asking. I've seen this happen with several other players that I didn't think were ready and many of them have had decent careers in Europe so I don't really trust what my feelings are. I think Sandfort is not good enough on defense but evidently that's not a big concern for the role he would play on a professional team so who knows.

I would be shocked if he is not back next year for his 4th season at Iowa

Reactions: BioHawk
From what I am seeing Siakam played 5 games ever in the G-League? He's been full time NBA since he was 21 years old so that's a bit different than Wiesy who is 24 going on 25 years old.

The next Thunder Dan Majerle?

Despite the fact that Majerle could jump out of the gym and was a decent defender, you might be on to something here :)

I had to look it up. ;)

This is Payton's 3rd year in college.

Dan Majerle's 3rd year in college at Central Michigan was in 1987 (37 years ago). The NBA, for better or for worse, is a lot different now.

Dan finished college in 1988 and went on to have a 14 year NBA career.

I don’t think he needs to get evaluated for that.
no shit shirley,,,, He just needs to hear it from someone other than "defense doesn't matter" Fran... & if you wanna make the league, D up MF'er.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT