ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone hates us and we don’t care…

SJP80

Team MVP
Sep 22, 2013
I know this won’t be popular, but I’ll lay it out there all the same. There are some guys who just have a persona that is just unlikable… Pete Rose, Bryce Harper, Draymond Green, Patrick Reed (golf), Ndamukong Suh. I found them all detestable and would root against them at every turn. Check a list for most unpopular athletes and those names are there.

A funny thing happens tho. When they become your guy, you overlook all that. That thing that made them detestable is outweighed by the determination and overall commitment to the same team or thing you love. You love them regardless and in spite of every one else’s thoughts.

That is why a lot outside of Iowa don’t like the Brands schtick. They rub a lot of people a lot wrong as they are not as likable as a Gable was or Cael is. Gable was intense, but likable. For the rest of the world, the twins are so unlikable. They are your guy and you should love em. But, in my opinion, that’s some of the reason for the overall Iowa wrestling hate. People just don’t like the Brands. Don’t know that there is or needs to be a fix. Easier to just adopt our Philly attitude and say “everyone hates us and we don’t care.”

I know this won’t be popular, but I’ll lay it out there all the same. There are some guys who just have a persona that is just unlikable… Pete Rose, Bryce Harper, Draymond Green, Patrick Reed (golf), Ndamukong Suh. I found them all detestable and would root against them at every turn. Check a list for most unpopular athletes and those names are there.

A funny thing happens tho. When they become your guy, you overlook all that. That thing that made them detestable is outweighed by the determination and overall commitment to the same team or thing you love. You love them regardless and in spite of every one else’s thoughts.

That is why a lot outside of Iowa don’t like the Brands schtick. They rub a lot of people a lot wrong as they are not as likable as a Gable was or Cael is. Gable was intense, but likable. For the rest of the world, the twins are so unlikable. They are your guy and you should love em. But, in my opinion, that’s some of the reason for the overall Iowa wrestling hate. People just don’t like the Brands. Don’t know that there is or needs to be a fix. Easier to just adopt our Philly attitude and say “everyone hates us and we don’t care.”
Yeah, except we need to be able to recruit.

Nailed it. Probably the best post I have seen.

Nailed it. Probably the best post I have seen.
I think that Tom is very likeable, but he is also very old school. TnT are so old school that they don't care much about spin or internet trolls, and over many years non-Iowa wrestling fans have made them pay for being so naive. Like in politics, If you don't define yourself, your enemies will define you to their advantage.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT