ADVERTISEMENT

Ex-Bears Steve McMichael, Devin Hester, Julius Peppers make Hall of Fame: sources

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Hester also put up 3,427 yards and 17 touchdowns on offense, mostly as a wide receiver.

Peppers, 44, played most of his 17-year career with the Panthers, but had 37.5 sacks in four seasons with the Bears and was an All-Pro in 2010. He is fourth in NFL history with 159.5 sacks.

I can see a case for Peppers, but not the other two.

They were good at their jobs for a period of time, but not hall of famers.

Unless there's a specific "Punt Returner" category for Hester to go in under? He was really good at that one thing. But that means he wasn't that great the other 95% of the plays in a game.

Unless there's a specific "Punt Returner" category for Hester to go in under? He was really good at that one thing. But that means he wasn't that great the other 95% of the plays in a game.
I agree but people will argue that during Hester's career he was the best and effected the game the most at his position for a long time.

Reactions: bhawk24bob
I agree but people will argue that during Hester's career he was the best and effected the game the most at his position for a long time.
He was fortunate to play in the time he did, just like Dante Hall. They were returning kicks when you could use the wedge and a touchback was only 20 yards. They also played when punters weren’t as good as they are now and you could get away with blindside blocks.

Is Cordarelle Paterson a HOF player? His kick return stats in the post-wedge NFL are truly insane.

I'm sure that's it, and I don't disagree that he was the best PR for a good stretch. Like mnole above, I'm more saying that his position isn't/wasn't that important.

I was trying to figure out what % of the time he was fair catching balls, and I found this random line on the internet (not verified for accuracy!):

"The Bears forced 93 punts, and Hester returned 33 and fair caught 13, which means 47 went unreturned."

It doesn't say, but I can figure out from looking at his season totals that this is referring to 2010 where he was 1st team all-pro.

So that line - if accurate - means that even at the thing he was best at, he didn't get to do it almost 2/3 of the time (fair catches + no return / total punts). And 33 total punt returns across 16 games?

So, two plays a game he had a chance to make an impact? I don't get that you'd put someone in the hall of fame for 2 plays a game.

If that's the case, then they need to look at all-time great long snappers - a guy who never had a bad snap that resulted in a fumble on punts would be as valuable, to me.

I'm sure that's it, and I don't disagree that he was the best PR for a good stretch. Like mnole above, I'm more saying that his position isn't/wasn't that important.

I was trying to figure out what % of the time he was fair catching balls, and I found this random line on the internet (not verified for accuracy!):

"The Bears forced 93 punts, and Hester returned 33 and fair caught 13, which means 47 went unreturned."

It doesn't say, but I can figure out from looking at his season totals that this is referring to 2010 where he was 1st team all-pro.

So that line - if accurate - means that even at the thing he was best at, he didn't get to do it almost 2/3 of the time (fair catches + no return / total punts). And 33 total punt returns across 16 games?

So, two plays a game he had a chance to make an impact? I don't get that you'd put someone in the hall of fame for 2 plays a game.

If that's the case, then they need to look at all-time great long snappers - a guy who never had a bad snap that resulted in a fumble on punts would be as valuable, to me.
Devin Hester had 14 punt return TDs in his career.

Ted Hendricks blocked 10 punts (tied for best ever) and 14 placekicks. "Once he blocked a punt but was called offsides and the extra yards put the opponents into field goal position. So, Hendricks went ahead and blocked the field goal for good measure."

To me, that's as big of a deal, or bigger, than what Hester did in his career. But Hendricks [EDITED: is apparently in] the HOF.

Last edited:
Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
Yes sir Devin Hester! VERY much deserved!

This should mean Bears will get the Hall of Fame game.. with Caleb Williams first game as a Bear. Will be a fun one!

Reactions: bhawk24bob
Devin Hester had 14 punt return TDs in his career.

Ted Hendricks blocked 10 punts (tied for best ever) and 14 placekicks. "Once he blocked a punt but was called offsides and the extra yards put the opponents into field goal position. So, Hendricks went ahead and blocked the field goal for good measure."

To me, that's as big of a deal, or bigger, than what Hester did in his career. But Hendricks never got anywhere near the HOF.

Hendricks is in the HoF. Got in his second year of eligibility. Unless you're talking about another Ted Hendricks.

• Wow
Reactions: NDallasRuss
Mongo was a hilarious, lovable guy and certainly had a few great seasons. I feel like a lot of his shine is mere reflection of those legendary Buddy Ryan defenses though. If he’s HOF worthy, then why isn’t a guy like Mark Gastineau?

Mongo was a hilarious, lovable guy and certainly had a few great seasons. I feel like a lot of his shine is mere reflection of those legendary Buddy Ryan defenses though. If he’s HOF worthy, then why isn’t a guy like Mark Gastineau?
Gastineau was on steroids. It’s why the NFL didn’t punish anyone for colluding to get Strahan the sack record.

looks to me like he didn’t return to many punts. That got me thinking, I wonder how many times he fumbled the ball.
This is what I found. Now I don’t know for sure if this is kickoff returns, punt returns, rushing and receiving. But reguardless that still seems pretty high for the limited amount of touches he had over the years.

The NFL's all-time returns scoring leader (20 touchdowns) has averaged just four fumbles per season over his 11-year career, and hasn't had more than five since 2007.

Former Bear Steve 'Mongo' McMichael reacts to Hall of Fame induction

Steve McMichael calls out Angel Hernandez (Cubs Rockies 8.7.01)

Over Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne?
cc1311169241010897346f218c459b3a.gif

Over Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne?
cc1311169241010897346f218c459b3a.gif
  • Steve Smith Sr. (2001-2016): 1031 receptions - 14731 receiving yards - 81 touchdowns
  • Andre Johnson (2003-2016): 1062 receptions - 14185 receiving yards - 70 touchdowns
  • Reggie Wayne (2001-2014): 1070 receptions - 14345 receiving yards - 82 touchdowns

Reactions: mnole03

Hester was the greatest of all time at his job. Not only with his returns but how coaches had to adjust their ST game plans. Hester FORCED teams to just kick the ball out of bounds, short, to not risk a return. The greatest punter of all time is in the HOF. The greatest game changing return man should be as well.

Hester was the greatest of all time at his job. Not only with his returns but how coaches had to adjust their ST game plans. Hester FORCED teams to just kick the ball out of bounds, short, to not risk a return. The greatest punter of all time is in the HOF. The greatest game changing return man should be as well.

More importantly ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT