ADVERTISEMENT

FAFO: Never go pro se at the US border.

ACLU suggests otherwise:

You have the right to remain silent or tell the agent that you’ll only answer questions in the presence of an attorney, no matter your citizenship or immigration status. You do not have to answer questions about your immigration status. You may simply say that you do not wish to answer those questions. If you choose to remain silent, the agent will likely ask you questions for longer, but your silence alone is not enough to support probable cause or reasonable suspicion to arrest, detain, or search you or your belongings.
If ONLY that guy could have been silent. He wouldn't shut up.

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

It's so easy for us white folk to get across the border too.

BP: Are you a U.S. Citizen?

Me: Yes.

BP: Enjoy your day.

So what do you think happened to them. Especially the guy with the full understanding of the Constitution.
Not directed to me, but my guess is they searched the vehicle, and let them go. Too much paperwork to prosecute them for being loud, stupid a**holes. In a perfect world they'd be in jail, and, I'm not giving the driver a pass. He should have told the Con Law professor to STFU right from the start. I'd have told him to get out and walk the rest of the way.

Reactions: ericram and nelly02
Not directed to me, but my guess is they searched the vehicle, and let them go. Too much paperwork to prosecute them for being loud, stupid a**holes. In a perfect world they'd be in jail, and, I'm not giving the driver a pass. He should have told the Con Law professor to STFU right from the start. I'd have told him to get out and walk the rest of the way.
I hope the loud mouth at least got a cavity search. I mean he really needed it.

Let's play the double for more fun.

I think they probably ended up letting him go after he pissed himself when he realized it was about to get real and he finally dropped the constitutional scholar cosplay. Then he went home and changed out of his wet pants and went to some shit bar in his town of 600 and yapped on about how big a man he is and how he took down border patrol while swigging shitty light beer with his hillbilly friends.

I wish they would have done a American History X style curb stomp on him and it was recorded so we could all enjoy it.

ACLU suggests otherwise:

You have the right to remain silent or tell the agent that you’ll only answer questions in the presence of an attorney, no matter your citizenship or immigration status. You do not have to answer questions about your immigration status. You may simply say that you do not wish to answer those questions. If you choose to remain silent, the agent will likely ask you questions for longer, but your silence alone is not enough to support probable cause or reasonable suspicion to arrest, detain, or search you or your belongings.
You might want to read that whole article. You do you. Edit: ACLU guidelines for the situation in the video: https://www.acluaz.org/sites/default/files/field_documents/aclu_border_rights.pdf

Last edited:
You might want to read that whole article. You do you.
I didn’t think it was germane, but I provided the link:

A limited exception does exist: for people who do have permission to be in the U.S. for a specific reason and for, usually, a limited amount of time (a “nonimmigrant” on a visa, for example), the law does require you to provide information about your immigration status if asked. While you can still choose to remain silent or decline a request to produce your documents, people in this category should be aware that they could face arrest consequences. If you want to know whether you fall into this category, you should consult an attorney.

Need a lawyer to figure this out?

I think they probably ended up letting him go after he pissed himself when he realized it was about to get real and he finally dropped the constitutional scholar cosplay. Then he went home and changed out of his wet pants and went to some shit bar in his town of 600 and yapped on about how big a man he is and how he took down border patrol while swigging shitty light beer with his hillbilly friends.

I wish they would have done a American History X style curb stomp on him and it was recorded so we could all enjoy it.

Wow. That’s a REALLY good post.

A limited exception does exist: for people who do have permission to be in the U.S. for a specific reason and for, usually, a limited amount of time (a “nonimmigrant” on a visa, for example), the law does require you to provide information about your immigration status if asked. While you can still choose to remain silent or decline a request to produce your documents, people in this category should be aware that they could face arrest consequences. If you want to know whether you fall into this category, you should consult an attorney.

You are funny. Read my above edited post.

From your link:

REMEMBER
If you are detained or arrested by any law enforcement officials, you have the right to remain silent and the right to speak to an attorney. You do not have to provide information about where you were born, how you entered the U.S or how long you have been here.
Read the part about checkpoints. That is important to the situation in the video, You can do better.

Read the part about checkpoints. That is important to the situation in the video, You can do better.
I was responding to Belem’s comment:
They didn't need papers. All he needed to do was say "yes" when asked if he was a citizen and they wouldn't have passed thru.
I don't like the law, but this is 99% on him.

He doesn’t have to say anything.

That was a nice touch by the BP agents, putting a bunch of Hispanic guys in charge of searching them, after they went into Full MAGA White Boy Don't Touch Me Mode....

Bottom line, passenger should be charged with all kinds of crap (from a former defense attorney); his brother (driver) stuck between two rocks. He shouldn't be charged. Company that they work for should be put on notice.

I’d prosecute them just because they clearly rolled up there wanting to be jerks.

I've lived my entire life of 74 years within the CBP boundary. I've seen them twice. Once while on vacation traveling through southern Arizona and once in an out of the way state park in Michigan. Both times the meeting took less than 30 seconds. In AZ They looked in my car saw me, my wife, and young daughter and said you're cool. In MI, what are you doing here, we are chasing a bird for my wife to photograph. the agent see a large camera in my wife's lap, and says have fun.

It's very easy if you are legal and cool.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT