ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp 2024

BDE420

HB MVP
Apr 28, 2024
Went about 3 pages and didn’t see anything so figured get this ball rolling as right around the corner.

Any freshman you feel will surprise and push for meaningful playing time?

Beside WR is kicking th biggest worry or OL?

Ill do a short list and provide thoughts/add what you feel
Is same or different from my views.

WR: I actually like Brown/Wetjen/Anderson and think this group will surprise/be adequate. I think Buie/Mora potentially see playing time/contribute.

QB: Not 100% sold on Cade but man I hope im wrong as a lot rides on him being the guy. Maybe Lester can make Sullivan Marco or Resar into system guys if Cade fails. Fingers crossed

OL: without details on every spot for some reason I feel this unit is a positive this season. Just think with the experience it cannot be worse. Blindly think it’s above average

RB: Williams, Patterson, Johnson, Moulton. Lots to like here and deep

ST: Steven’s will be solid I’m iffy on the new Punter Dakin but that’s just because Tory spoiled us so pessimistic me. Think good talent for returns and will be average but hoping for above.

DL: lots of depth but pressuring the QB is biggest concern. Hoping Allen is the guy to be the edge rusher. Overall strong and a strength but can they force the QB into early throws and bad decisions? I’m hopeful

TE: like all the guys in the room and hope Luke healthy all year as he’s a weapon

DB/Safety/Cash: The starting unit is good. Strong unit but I worry about depth if any injuries. But in Parker I trust so my worry level is low even with young replacements.

LB: Jackson Higgins Fisher when all 3 out as solid as you can ask for or 2 of the 3 when cash. Strong.

Thoughts and worries? Young guys you think will come in and surprise. I think WR and CB most likely to see any.

Hoping for a great season and minimal/no injuries in camp/season.

Go Hawks

Good analysis. I keep thinking Lester, if KF leaves him alone, is going to turn out a surprisingly effective offense. And I believe that whoever is under center will be well-coached and effective in Lester's version of the Shanahan offense. For some reason I just feel like all the angst that has festered for years over the inept BF offense is going to burst into a special season. I think you're right in that there is enough talent available. That talent just needs the right scheme and the right coach to maximize its potential. Lester may be that guy.

So I think we'll see what "complementary football" really looks like this season. One of the nation's top defenses and special teams will be complemented by an effective offense that will move the ball consistently and score TDs. I'm actually excited for the first time in years. Let's get it goin'.

If weather is decent I might try to pop out there for kids day practice, see if they show anything more than in the spring.

If weather is decent I might try to pop out there for kids day practice, see if they show anything more than in the spring.
I took the kids last year and if you need advice on which bathroom is the cleanest and least noisy, let me know. I spent all practice searching for the most suitable option for my daughter. Shout out to the "security" who let us wander to the other side of the stadium to check every single unlocked bathroom until we found the right one.

Good analysis. I keep thinking Lester, if KF leaves him alone, is going to turn out a surprisingly effective offense. And I believe that whoever is under center will be well-coached and effective in Lester's version of the Shanahan offense. For some reason I just feel like all the angst that has festered for years over the inept BF offense is going to burst into a special season. I think you're right in that there is enough talent available. That talent just needs the right scheme and the right coach to maximize its potential. Lester may be that guy.

So I think we'll see what "complementary football" really looks like this season. One of the nation's top defenses and special teams will be complemented by an effective offense that will move the ball consistently and score TDs. I'm actually excited for the first time in years. Let's get it goin'.
Agree on all this and really hoping this is the start of complementary football. If it happens could open recruits eyes and change to come play with this style of defense.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
Went about 3 pages and didn’t see anything so figured get this ball rolling as right around the corner.

Any freshman you feel will surprise and push for meaningful playing time?

Beside WR is kicking th biggest worry or OL?

Ill do a short list and provide thoughts/add what you feel
Is same or different from my views.

WR: I actually like Brown/Wetjen/Anderson and think this group will surprise/be adequate. I think Buie/Mora potentially see playing time/contribute.

QB: Not 100% sold on Cade but man I hope im wrong as a lot rides on him being the guy. Maybe Lester can make Sullivan Marco or Resar into system guys if Cade fails. Fingers crossed

OL: without details on every spot for some reason I feel this unit is a positive this season. Just think with the experience it cannot be worse. Blindly think it’s above average

RB: Williams, Patterson, Johnson, Moulton. Lots to like here and deep

ST: Steven’s will be solid I’m iffy on the new Punter Dakin but that’s just because Tory spoiled us so pessimistic me. Think good talent for returns and will be average but hoping for above.

DL: lots of depth but pressuring the QB is biggest concern. Hoping Allen is the guy to be the edge rusher. Overall strong and a strength but can they force the QB into early throws and bad decisions? I’m hopeful

TE: like all the guys in the room and hope Luke healthy all year as he’s a weapon

DB/Safety/Cash: The starting unit is good. Strong unit but I worry about depth if any injuries. But in Parker I trust so my worry level is low even with young replacements.

LB: Jackson Higgins Fisher when all 3 out as solid as you can ask for or 2 of the 3 when cash. Strong.

Thoughts and worries? Young guys you think will come in and surprise. I think WR and CB most likely to see any.

Hoping for a great season and minimal/no injuries in camp/season.

Go Hawks
The biggest concern I have with the punting is whether or not it will be the primary offensive weapon or not. If we're still printing "punting is winning" t-shirts I'm going to be very disappointed.

As always, this time of year, I'm anxious and excited for the start of the new season. On offense, we do have a chance to be be much improved. Biggest question; can the the OL protect Cade? I'm hopeful they can. The defense should be one the best in the country. Special teams will be an asset even with a new punter. Injuries are always a concern but that is part of the game. I believe 2024 is going to be a memorable season. Go Hawks!

The biggest concern I have with the punting is whether or not it will be the primary offensive weapon or not. If we're still printing "punting is winning" t-shirts I'm going to be very disappointed.
Facts. As much as it’s been a major positive I’m all for it being used sparingly

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
Definitely concerned about WRs. I have a good feeling about Vander Zee. Seems really athletic, tall, good hops, over 200 lbs. Realistically it will probably take a couple of years, but would love to see him surprise.

This feels about the fourth season in a row where we think "the OL has to be better this time." Hopefully it finally comes true.
IMO, it was better last year. They went from one of the worst in the country to just one of the worst in the B1G. In their defense I don't think the staff helped them either with their "we just have to out-execute them" philosophy. If they can reach average this year the offense could be much improved.

IMO, it was better last year. They went from one of the worst in the country to just one of the worst in the B1G. In their defense I don't think the staff helped them either with their "we just have to out-execute them" philosophy. If they can reach average this year the offense could be much improved.
The O-line was definitely a little better last year.

'22 it was terrible. '23 it might have been approaching below average

QB- I have faith in a 100% healthy Cade. In my opinion with us being a potential playoff team I think the biggest acquisition this offseason was Sullivan given Cade's injury history.

RB- LeShon, Kaleb, Patterson, and Moulton is a great start. Obviously they need the holes but I think it's a good group

WR- I'm not expecting greatness here but I think Lester is good enough to get Brown/Anderson open and get em the ball. Desperately need a 3rd option to step up for a couple catches a game like WashingtonJr, Wetjen, NW transfer, maybe a Buie or Howard

TE- It's Iowa this group will be productive

OL- Desperately need improvement here. I Feel like for 2 years we have played with 1 Center and 4 Guards along the line. Not really a draftable guy yet outside of maybe Colby. We will find out this year if this groups struggles were due to NepoBaby's awful schemes or if they just aren't that talented.

Defense- My only concern is depth along the DL. Outside the assumed starters of Craig, Black, Graves, and Hurkett the only depth players with good PT are Llewyen and Pittman. Need some young dudes to step up.

Overall I think we go about 10-2 and get in the playoffs somewhere between #8-#12.
Go Hawks and F**k Nebraska.

WR- I'm not expecting greatness here but I think Lester is good enough to get Brown/Anderson open and get em the ball. Desperately need a 3rd option to step up for a couple catches a game like WashingtonJr, Wetjen, NW transfer, maybe a Buie or Howard
If we can at least throw downfield enough to keep defenses honest it'll be a plus. Patterns that actually get our guys open from time to time would be a real win.

I have absolutely no concerns about defense, ST, TE or RB.

QB room is best it’s been since Stanley was here, and we actually have a real QB coach, so I am optimistic here.

WR is a bit of a question mark, but I think our upgrades at QB, TE and OC will automatically lead to some improvement here.

I still have major concerns about the OL. I have very little faith in most of the players and even less in the OL coach. I am just praying for this unit to surprise the heck out of me.

If we can at least throw downfield enough to keep defenses honest it'll be a plus. Patterns that actually get our guys open from time to time would be a real win.
I think/hope the biggest difference we see this year will be Lester's ability to use motion presnap and routes to actually scheme guys open.
Obviously we know Brian wasn't able to figure that out.

Are Brown/Anderson good enough to get open on their own and then to catch it?
I don't know about catching because that's on them. I'm a firm believer though that if an OC uses good route concepts and formations that he can scheme average talent open.
If you watch Brian's passing tree nothing played off of each other. No bunch sets, rarely see clearing routes, and rarely saw rub routes near the goalline, constantly saw 2 or 3 receivers within 5 yards of each other. It almost was like every receiver had a 3 yard wall on both sides of him that he couldn't go outside of.

This feels about the fourth season in a row where we think "the OL has to be better this time." Hopefully it finally comes true.
Well, we were correct last year. The problem was that it went from abhorrent in 2022, to quite bad in 2023.

In all seriousness, they should be decent if they can avoid the number injuries they had in 2023. Richman and Colby are good players, but not when they are playing as injured as they were last year. Hopefully the depth is a little better, and guys injured to that degree don’t have to play.

I took the kids last year and if you need advice on which bathroom is the cleanest and least noisy, let me know. I spent all practice searching for the most suitable option for my daughter. Shout out to the "security" who let us wander to the other side of the stadium to check every single unlocked bathroom until we found the right one.
When is the open practice? Date and Time?

QB- I have faith in a 100% healthy Cade. In my opinion with us being a potential playoff team I think the biggest acquisition this offseason was Sullivan given Cade's injury history.

RB- LeShon, Kaleb, Patterson, and Moulton is a great start. Obviously they need the holes but I think it's a good group

TE- It's Iowa this group will be productive

OL- Desperately need improvement here. I Feel like for 2 years we have played with 1 Center and 4 Guards along the line. Not really a draftable guy yet outside of maybe Colby. We will find out this year if this groups struggles were due to NepoBaby's awful schemes or if they just aren't that talented.

Defense- My only concern is depth along the DL. Outside the assumed starters of Craig, Black, Graves, and Hurkett the only depth players with good PT are Llewyen and Pittman. Need some young dudes to step up.

Overall I think we go about 10-2 and get in the playoffs somewhere between #8-#12.
Go Hawks and F**k Nebraska.
Totally spaced it in my post about the defense but defensively we know our 2nd level is Higgins, Jackson, and Castro. We know one CB and both safeties will be Harris, Schulte, and Nwankpa.

Are we penciling in DeShaun Lee as the 2nd CB? Or do we think Nestor or TJ Hall is going to make a strong push for that other spot?

Totally spaced it in my post about the defense but defensively we know our 2nd level is Higgins, Jackson, and Castro. We know one CB and both safeties will be Harris, Schulte, and Nwankpa.

Are we penciling in DeShaun Lee as the 2nd CB? Or do we think Nestor or TJ Hall is going to make a strong push for that other spot?
I think that, and one of OL spots are probably the most interesting camp battles.

I would love to see Beau Stephens take a big leap and make our line look something like this.......
LT- Richman
LG- Stephens
C- Jones/Elsbury
RG- Colby
RT- Dunker
I think the battle is probably between Elsbury and Stephens for that guard spot.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
A recent pod with Barnett said that Leighton Jones is one name to watch, as is Pieper from Nebraska. DeJong will be a swing tackle and add depth inside too George said. I think he did say Lauck is a name to watch too..just how much early? Depends on that starting 5 mentioned above. Also, Dunker has cut some weight (was playing at 340 and above last year) and has cut 20-25 lbs which should help with edge steps, interesting.

Well, we were correct last year. The problem was that it went from abhorrent in 2022, to quite bad in 2023.

It is funny that you say that. When our offense was so dog gone terrible, I kept thinking "if only our QB and OL could advance from absolutely terrible to simply below average, we'd be much improved." Maybe this year we'll be slightly below average in both, which would be great. An offense that is below average but competent can succeed with this defense.

We can only hope.

A recent pod with Barnett said that Leighton Jones is one name to watch, as is Pieper from Nebraska. DeJong will be a swing tackle and add depth inside too George said. I think he did say Lauck is a name to watch too..just how much early? Depends on that starting 5 mentioned above. Also, Dunker has cut some weight (was playing at 340 and above last year) and has cut 20-25 lbs which should help with edge steps, interesting.
Hay bale contest is this Friday night in Solon. Dunk will defend his title and see if can set a new record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT