ADVERTISEMENT

Fascinating Ed Snowden interview

Moreover, Biden and Kerry

EDWARD SNOWDEN: Well, this is not an actively seeking, this is not a new thing. And this is important history, especially for those people who don't like me. For those people who doubt me, who have heard terrible things about me. It was never my intention to end up in Russia.

I was going to Latin America and my final destination was hopefully going to be Ecuador. I applied for asylum in 27 different countries around the world. Places like France and Germany, places like Norway, that I felt the U.S. government and the American public could be comfortable, that was fine for a whistleblower to be in, and yet every time one of these governments got close to opening their doors, the phone would ring in their foreign ministries and on the other end of the line would be a very senior American official.

It was one of two people. Then-Secretary of State John Kerry or then vice president Joe Biden. And they would say, look, we don't know what the law is, we don't care if you can do this or not, we understand that protecting whistleblowers is a matter of human rights and you could do this if you want to. But if you protect this man, if you let this guy out of Russia, there will be consequences. We're not going to say what they're going to be, but there will be a response.

I continue, to this day, to say, look, if the United States government, if these countries, are willing to open the door, that is not a hostile act. That is the act of a friend. If anything, if the United States continue is so concerned about Russia, right, shouldn't they be happy for me to leave? And yet we see they're trying so hard to prevent me from leaving. I would ask you, why is that?

Link to interview:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...m_source=mixi&utm_campaign=realclearpolitics\
He talked about this in the video also. That all administrations try to hush it and push the narrative away from the content and to the source. I think it's been touched in this thread that it's a broad policy thing and not just an administration thing.

Reactions: Nat Algren
Moreover, Biden and Kerry

EDWARD SNOWDEN: Well, this is not an actively seeking, this is not a new thing. And this is important history, especially for those people who don't like me. For those people who doubt me, who have heard terrible things about me. It was never my intention to end up in Russia.

I was going to Latin America and my final destination was hopefully going to be Ecuador. I applied for asylum in 27 different countries around the world. Places like France and Germany, places like Norway, that I felt the U.S. government and the American public could be comfortable, that was fine for a whistleblower to be in, and yet every time one of these governments got close to opening their doors, the phone would ring in their foreign ministries and on the other end of the line would be a very senior American official.

It was one of two people. Then-Secretary of State John Kerry or then vice president Joe Biden. And they would say, look, we don't know what the law is, we don't care if you can do this or not, we understand that protecting whistleblowers is a matter of human rights and you could do this if you want to. But if you protect this man, if you let this guy out of Russia, there will be consequences. We're not going to say what they're going to be, but there will be a response.

I continue, to this day, to say, look, if the United States government, if these countries, are willing to open the door, that is not a hostile act. That is the act of a friend. If anything, if the United States continue is so concerned about Russia, right, shouldn't they be happy for me to leave? And yet we see they're trying so hard to prevent me from leaving. I would ask you, why is that?

Link to interview:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...m_source=mixi&utm_campaign=realclearpolitics\
To add to the story, the US also forced down the plane of Bolivian President Evo Morales - then in Europe for something - thinking Snowden was being smuggled out of Russia under diplomatic cover. I forget which of our allies cooperated with this.

Needless to say, Snowden wasn't on the plane.

Reactions: Nat Algren
where are the falsehoods?
He went to Hong Kong. Technically part of China. But not like going to Communist China's mainland.

He gave the secrets to journalists, not to China or Russia, as your framing implies.

He clearly risked his safety and freedom. And he's stuck in Russia. It's not necessary to be punished for doing the right thing to be considered a hero. Doing the right thing at risk of your safety and freedom is enough. Heck, these days, just doing the right thing is enough, considering how seldom it happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT