ADVERTISEMENT

Fast food quality tiers

Hoosierhawkeye

HR King
Sep 16, 2008
With all the talk about fast food places why don't we just post our opinion on tiers. I'm going to use 5 tiers. Tier 1 I think is exceptional for fast food, Tier 2 is pretty good, Tier 3 is slightly above average, Tier 4 is average, Tier 5 is below average, just edible on the fly or when there are few other options.

Tier 1: Portillos, Zaxby's, Chik-Fil-A, Five Guys,

Tier 2: Hardees, Panda Express, In & Out

Tier 3: Rally's, Wendy's, Culvers, What-a-Burger

Tier 4: Burger King, Subway,

Tier 5: McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell, Little Caesars

Won't Eat: Long John Silvers (I don't like seafood)

Reactions: SIXERS24
Five Guys charges like it’s Tier 1 but is only Tier 3 ish.

The good sub shops like JJ’s and Capriotti’s would be in 2 at a minimum. Subway is definitely at the bottom tier.

Solid steak burger restaurants like Freddy’s would be way up there.

Hardees Tier 2?

With Subway on the list, where would you put Jimmy Johns and Jersey Mike's?

KFC is way too low.

I didn't know Portillos was fast food.

I could see the argument to move Hardee's to tier 3.

I would put Jimmy Johns alongside subway. I think the quality of their food is slightly better but I don't feel as much ability to customize my sandwich as I do at Subway. For me that's the main selling point of Subway.

Never had Jersey Mikes.

I've never been that big of a fan of KFC. Honestly I feel like I can go to a grocery store and get fried chicken that's just as good with sides that are as good or better.

I would count Portillos as fast food. I mean the one near me has a drive thru and serves it in a bag. I would say they are more fast food than five guys who doesn't have a drive thru and I only call them fast food because they serve it in a bag and you don't have a waiter.

Need to add Raising Cane's to the list. Chicken is very, very subjective. I know people that love Cane's, others that don't like it, same with Zaxby's and Chik-fil-A. It seems like if you ask 6 people, 2 would rank each as number 1. Our town always seems to have a Hardee's and it is always empty, no idea how it stays open. I would put Culver's in tier 2 and drop Hardee's for sure. And Subway is probably Tier 5 with Jersey Mike's and Firehouse above it.

Five Guys charges like it’s Tier 1 but is only Tier 3 ish.

The good sub shops like JJ’s and Capriotti’s would be in 2 at a minimum. Subway is definitely at the bottom tier.

Solid steak burger restaurants like Freddy’s would be way up there.

Only steak burger place I have tried is Steak and Shake and I sort of struggled as to if it was considered fast food or not. I guess they have a drive thru now but my experience with them has always been going in. I'd probably put it at tier 3 if it counts as fast food.

Places I don't frequent - thoughts?

Sonic - never been
Popeyes - been a couple of times - turrible.

Soon to the area - Raising Cane's chicken fingers

Need to add Raising Cane's to the list. Chicken is very, very subjective. I know people that love Cane's, others that don't like it, same with Zaxby's and Chik-fil-A. It seems like if you ask 6 people, 2 would rank each as number 1. Our town always seems to have a Hardee's and it is always empty, no idea how it stays open. I would put Culver's in tier 2 and drop Hardee's for sure. And Subway is probably Tier 5 with Jersey Mike's and Firehouse above it.

Sounds like the sub places are kind of subjective as well with others putting JJ and JM towards the top. I like JJ's quality of food better but I feel locked in to their toppings where as Subway I'm less a fan of the quality of their food but I feel free to do whatever I like with my sandwich.

Never had Raising Canes. Zaxby's might get inflated in my mind slightly because I don't get to go there much due to not having them in the area. On the way back from Florida just recently we ate there a couple times but that was the first time in about 5 years.

Reactions: EasyHawk

Sonic - never been

Sonic would be a low Tier 3 in my mind. The big advantage to them is they have really good deserts which sort of bumps them up to tier 3. Another advantage is they do have a good variety of choices. But the burgers and fries. . . Not great but not bad either.

Sonic - never been

Sonic is pretty good. Decent variety of items.

Cane’s is tricky. I crave it about twice a year because the sauce and the garlic toast are spectacular. The chicken fingers are what they are - chicken fingers. But they are definitely better than what you’ll find in sports bars that use the same pre-packaged stuff.

But the peanut oil they cook them in, while tasty, is kinda hard on my stomach. I don’t totally get why people will wait in 20 car lines to get it but that’s what I see all the time.

With all the talk about fast food places why don't we just post our opinion on tiers. I'm going to use 5 tiers. Tier 1 I think is exceptional for fast food, Tier 2 is pretty good, Tier 3 is slightly above average, Tier 4 is average, Tier 5 is below average, just edible on the fly or when there are few other options.

this is a joke, right?

Zaxby's is awful
Panda express is disgusting
no Arby's???

worst list ever

this is a joke, right?

Zaxby's is awful
Panda express is disgusting
no Arby's???

worst list ever

I can't really rate Arby's much like I can't really rate LJS because it's just not my type of food.

You are free to post your own list, that was kind of my intent.

Sonic is pretty good. Decent variety of items.

Cane’s is tricky. I crave it about twice a year because the sauce and the garlic toast are spectacular. The chicken fingers are what they are - chicken fingers. But they are definitely better than what you’ll find in sports bars that use the same pre-packaged stuff.

But the peanut oil they cook them in, while tasty, is kinda hard on my stomach. I don’t totally get why people will wait in 20 car lines to get it but that’s what I see all the time.
Cane's going up in CR right across the street from Chik-fil-a and in a location that's not easily accessible. I say good luck to them.

Subway is pure garbage ranked somewhere around Tier 7.

JJ's is above mediocre but not good enough to push into Tier 2. It's just solid. Firehouse, Jersey Mike's could be Tier 1 or 2 depending on your subjective tastes, both would be worthy of the rank. Herbert's & Gerbert's is in Tier 2.

Much like the M1 v. M2 issue, where M1ers, like @JWolf74 molest collies, does the ranking involve the food when it is served as it should be or how it is typically served?

First, I love Long John Silvers. I would drink the oil if I could. If it swims, batter and fry it.

And how the f is Hardees, Tier 2? Their quality is garbage these days, at least in Coralville, Iowa.

• Love
Reactions: cfbfan23
I will have to try Jersey Mike's and Firehouse at some point. There are locations in the area, not really convenient locations though.

Sounds like a lot of people like Taco Johns but I looked and the nearest location is easily more than an hour's drive. But it does make me want to try it.

First, I love Long John Silvers. I would drink the oil if I could. If it swims, batter and fry it.

And how the f is Hardees, Tier 2? Their quality is garbage these days, at least in Coralville, Iowa.

I don't go there often but the few times I've been there the I thought the burgers where pretty good for fast food. Kind of on the greasy side but that would be my only complaint.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I will have to try Jersey Mike's and Firehouse at some point. There are locations in the area, not really convenient locations though.

Sounds like a lot of people like Taco Johns but I looked and the nearest location is easily more than an hour's drive.
I love Jersey Mike's but I don't want to take out a loan to eat a sub sandwich.

? A regular sized sub is $9-$10. That seems right it line with JJs and the others. Hell, disgusting ass subway is $9 for a footlong.
Oh subway sucks too. I guess I have inflationism (I made that up). I just make my own food. Can't justify things haha.

Reactions: Derekd3408
Oh subway sucks too. I guess I have inflationism (I made that up). I just make my own food. Can't justify things haha.
Prices are definitely up. I have to eat out for lunch almost every day and I'm happy if it's under $13.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Only steak burger place I have tried is Steak and Shake and I sort of struggled as to if it was considered fast food or not. I guess they have a drive thru now but my experience with them has always been going in. I'd probably put it at tier 3 if it counts as fast food.
Steak & Shake has had drive-thru for as long as I can remember. Most of their locations were open 24 hours before COVID, so if I was traveling late at night it was my go-to option if most other places were closed.

Taco Johns, KFC, Arby's, Checkers, Taco Bell, Sonic and Popeyes are all Tier 6 hot garbage in the QC.

Reactions: srams21
Nothing like walking into some of these places and walking out smelling like the fry box. Can’t stand that about some of these places, always drive through or order on the app if you can.

I’d rate these as the tops in their category:
CFA, Jersey Mike’s, Capriotti’s, Wendy’s for fresh burgers/size selection too, Cane’s for chicken fingers. All other places are for the poors.

Has anyone tried Slim Chickens? I saw one either just opened, or is just about to open, in Tally (out on Monroe, near where the old Tallahassee Mall was located).

I'd never heard of them, but online reviews for the chain are pretty good.

I've eaten enough subs in life to stretch from LA to NY if you laid them out. I've got this.

Tier1: Your local butcher, jewish deli, italian joint
Tier2: Jersey Mikes, Schlotzky's
Tier3: Jimmy Johns, Firehouse, Potbelly
Tier4: Which 'wich, Quizno's (purely for the Mesquite Chicken)
Tier10: Blimpie
Tier10000: Subway

I ate at Firehouse exactly one time. I was about two bites into my sandwich when I noticed mold in the bottom of the bun. In addition to the visceral image of biting into mold, it pissed me off because they advertise that they make their bread fresh every day but I know damn well that fresh bread doesn’t mold the same day. In fact, it generally takes about 3 days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT