ADVERTISEMENT

McDonald's may introduce $5 value meal

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
oh boy do I miss the $1 value meal

WASHINGTON — McDonald's is reportedly considering launching a $5 meal deal in an effort to lure back inflation-weary customers, according to multiple media reports.
The $5 value meal could include four items: a McChicken or McDouble, a four-piece chicken nuggets, fries and a drink, sources told CNBC, Bloomberg and Reuters.

During an earnings call two weeks ago, the fast food giant said inflation-weary customers are eating out less often in many big markets.
McDonald's President and CEO Chris Kempczinski said during the call that the company needs a nationwide value message and marketing to back it up. In some areas, it's losing out to competitors on customers' perception of value and affordability, he said. Wendy's is currently offering free fries with the purchase of a medium burger, for example.

“There’s a lot of great value out there, but everyone else has a value message too,” Kempczinski said.

Wendy's has a similar $5 meal deal to the one McDonald's is reportedly considering, which offers a sandwich, chicken nuggets, fries and a drink.
According to Bloomberg, U.S. franchisees already rejected the proposed value meal plan once. CNBC reported Coca-Cola has added marketing funds to the proposal to try and make it more appealing for franchisees.

Also during last month's earnings call, McDonald's CFO Ian Borden announced the company would be testing a larger burger in a few markets later this year.

WASHINGTON — McDonald's is reportedly considering launching a $5 meal deal in an effort to lure back inflation-weary customers, according to multiple media reports.
The $5 value meal could include four items: a McChicken or McDouble, a four-piece chicken nuggets, fries and a drink, sources told CNBC, Bloomberg and Reuters.

During an earnings call two weeks ago, the fast food giant said inflation-weary customers are eating out less often in many big markets.
McDonald's President and CEO Chris Kempczinski said during the call that the company needs a nationwide value message and marketing to back it up. In some areas, it's losing out to competitors on customers' perception of value and affordability, he said. Wendy's is currently offering free fries with the purchase of a medium burger, for example.

“There’s a lot of great value out there, but everyone else has a value message too,” Kempczinski said.

Wendy's has a similar $5 meal deal to the one McDonald's is reportedly considering, which offers a sandwich, chicken nuggets, fries and a drink.
According to Bloomberg, U.S. franchisees already rejected the proposed value meal plan once. CNBC reported Coca-Cola has added marketing funds to the proposal to try and make it more appealing for franchisees.

Also during last month's earnings call, McDonald's CFO Ian Borden announced the company would be testing a larger burger in a few markets later this year.

McDonald's problem is that they used to be cheaper than their competition. Now they arn't even that. Just lower quality.

Once McD's pricing got closer to that of other way better options, they should've known that consumers would quit choosing their terrible burgers. They (and Burger King) exist to fill the market for the cheapest of the cheap burgers and fries. If they price themselves out of that lane, they're doomed.

They've had a $5 meal deal on the app for the last few years. The problem is that you can only buy 1 meal per day, although the overall health of America is better off with this reduced condition.

Once McD's pricing got closer to that of other way better options, they should've known that consumers would quit choosing their terrible burgers. They (and Burger King) exist to fill the market for the cheapest of the cheap burgers and fries. If they price themselves out of that lane, they're doomed.
The only time I eat McDonald's is on a road trip. I like getting a couple of McDoubles because I can pound them without worrying about lettuce and shit getting all over me, which might happen with a quality burger or chicken sandwich. That's all the good I have to say about that.

FWIW, I am just coming off a weekend where we took our family on a weekend getaway/waterpark adventure. (It was a blast for all, thank you.)

Therefore, we found ourselves in a fast food restaurant, not McDonalds. a couple of times this weekend and it was an eye opener in terms of high prices and low quality. It was bad enough that I, someone that is easily lured into places of convenience with relatively higher prices, was seriously thinking about getting a cooler and some fixings to make our own lunches/dinners.

To me, all fast food is way down these days. CSB.

F McDonalds. About the only things I’ll eat there are breakfast sandwiches and that’s about once a month, if that.

Last time through the drive through my son and I ordered an Egg McMuffin meal with a soda, Sausage egg McMuffin and 2 hashbrowns. $23.
joke.
Quality is awful too.
I refuse to touch McDonald's food. Pure trash.

F McDonalds. About the only things I’ll eat there are breakfast sandwiches and that’s about once a month, if that.

Last time through the drive through my son and I ordered an Egg McMuffin meal with a soda, Sausage egg McMuffin and 2 hashbrowns. $23.
Where did you order that?

You spend $100/week for groceries for 5 people? That's $2.86 per person, per meal.
Yeah, we are pretty good about buying in bulk at Costco/Sam's and we spend a hell of a lot more on groceries than that. But, we do consume a lot of chicken, beef, and fresh vegetables.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
a39767c6-1116-4a65-b596-32d1bae4c84a.png

Yeah, we are pretty good about buying in bulk at Costco/Sam's and we spend a hell of a lot more on groceries than that. But, we do consume a lot of chicken, beef, and fresh vegetables.
I'm not even questioning the math, as much as I'm amazed, wondering what the meals are. Sure, for one meal I get it, but I don't know how it could be sustainable for a long period of time.

And you've got to pretty much have water to drink for every meal, unless you maybe own a cow and an orange tree.

I'm not even questioning the math, as much as I'm amazed, wondering what the meals are. Sure, for one meal I get it, but I don't know how it could be sustainable for a long period of time.

And you've got to pretty much have water to drink for every meal, unless you maybe own a cow and an orange tree.
My guess would be lots of potatoes, dry pasta, and rice.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
If it has to be fast we grab something from the now plentiful "Stars". They raised their prices too but not near as much as fast food rest.

If time isn't an issue and you are 55 or older....Perkins over 55 is the best overall value out there. Better price and quality than fast food.

We grilled steaks yesterday. 4.5 lbs of excellent steaks for $42. Add in som simple sides and I bet we were less than $55-60.

That’s Subway or Jimmy John’s for a family of 5.
Shopping at Sam's/Costco, for $50, you could do 4.5 pounds of reasonably good steak along with skewers of grilled onions and peppers, in addition to baked potatoes.

I don't eat fast food often enough to really care about the prices. I can't remember the last time I even had some/csb

But I do want some fresh McD's fries now. That's about the only thing worth getting anymore.

Family of 5 chiming in here. We drink water for every meal and my kids get free lunches at school. Still dropping 300-350 a week on groceries. That will probably push $400 here in a couple weeks when they are out of school.

Shopping at Sam's/Costco, you can make breakfast for a family of 5 and burgers for a family of 5 for less than $50!
But see, people don't want to do that. They want to have it all prepared for them, be delicious and be very cheap. Having to shop for bargains in a store and then preparing it yourself? What are we, barbarians?

Reactions: Tenacious E
"Inflation-weary customers"? That's obviously a lie. Biden told us there is no inflation.

I don't eat fast food often enough to really care about the prices. I can't remember the last time I even had some/csb

But I do want some fresh McD's fries now. That's about the only thing worth getting anymore.
they're not like you remember them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT