ADVERTISEMENT

Father's Day Cookout Ideas?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
I'd like to fire up the Pit Barrel Cooker on Sunday for Dad's Day.

Want to do something special, but not something huge like a butt or a packer. Something for a small number of people that's out of the ordinary. Thinking about a picanha, but does anyone have any great ideas?

Reactions: BrianNole777
Pork belly burnt ends for snacks and a pork loin for the meal. I like to marinade the loin in Italian dressing and a heavy black pepper steak seasoning for a few days. Look up Tini’s Mac and cheese recipe for a side dish.

Reactions: The Tradition
I'm from Northwest Indiana just outside Chicago. We go as Chicago goes, usually. Therefore, rib tips are on the order. Rib tips are popular in these neck of the woods.

I’ll be doing St Louis ribs on the recteq with some homemade mac and cheese. I do a 3-2-1 for the ribs, shred them like pulled pork and mix it in the Mac. Rufus Teague Honey sweet bbq sauce with my homemade rub gives the ribs some nice sweet heat.

Want to do something special, but not something huge like a butt packer. Something for a small number of people that's out of the ordinary. Thinking about a picanha, but does anyone have any great ideas?
FIFY.

Butt packer. Haha, too easy

"Fall off the bone" means overcooked, mushy ribs. I like the meat to still have some texture and a clean bite through. One hour in the wrap is enough unless you're cooking full spares.
Had my Primo smoker for 3 years now and am still trying to find my ideal rib and brisket method. My pork butt and all chicken recipes are awesome (wings are amazing). Im about 75% great on ribs. Still tweaking the rib thing.. Might try to wrap a bit less time. see how it goes.

Want to do something special, but not something huge like a butt or a packer. Something for a small number of people that's out of the ordinary. Thinking about a picanha, but does anyone have any great ideas?
Alas, I won’t have time for ribs due to time constraints. Going juicy cheeseburgers on the green egg. Lettuce, tomatoes, and onions would be nice. I’ve missed burgers and my cooking implements so very much.

"Fall off the bone" means overcooked, mushy ribs. I like the meat to still have some texture and a clean bite through. One hour in the wrap is enough unless you're cooking full spares.
Yes, sir. Fall off the bone ribs are overcooked. I do 2.5 hours on the smoker between 250°F to 275°F. About 1.5 hours wrapped. Then up to 0.5 hours with sauce.

Had my Primo smoker for 3 years now and am still trying to find my ideal rib and brisket method. My pork butt and all chicken recipes are awesome (wings are amazing). Im about 75% great on ribs. Still tweaking the rib thing.. Might try to wrap a bit less time. see how it goes.
Try going 5 hours without wrapping them. Let them smoke for 1.5-2 hours at 225 then spritz with apple juice or cider every 45 minutes. Baste with Bbq sauce for the last 30 minutes. Shoot for an internal temp of 185-190. After cooked let them rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

Try going 5 hours without wrapping them. Let them smoke for 1.5-2 hours at 225 then spritz with apple juice or cider every 45 minutes. Baste with Bbq sauce for the last 30 minutes. Shoot for an internal temp of 185-190. After cooked let them rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

This is definitely the way for full spares.

Reactions: mjtommy
I’m doing a smoked meatloaf for sandwiches.
giphy.gif

Picanha is very good.

If you crew likes lamb, get a boneless leg, marinate (I use lemon juice, olive oil and red wine vinegar with a dash of Worcestershire sauce) it overnight and smoke it unrolled/flat. Serve with a mixture of horseradish, sour cream and spicy mustard.

Picanha is very good.

If you crew likes lamb, get a boneless leg, marinate (I use lemon juice, olive oil and red wine vinegar with a dash of Worcestershire sauce) it overnight and smoke it unrolled/flat. Serve with a mixture of horseradish, sour cream and spicy mustard.

Mrs. Tradition (no pics) won't eat any baby animals, but I love me some lamb....

Well you’ve got two years more experience smoking meats etc. than me, and the most important thing I’ve learned from smoking proteins is any technique that relies on time is complete and utter bullshit. The meat is done when it’s done. Timers be damned.

Internal temperature monitoring of the protein and proper consistent smoker temperature is far and away the most important part of a successful smoke. That being said, correctly reading and monitoring internal temps on ribs is a challenge and at the end of the day even poorly executed smoked meats are still pretty damn tasty most of the time.

Picana is solid choice. Quick and easy

Pork tenderloin is a good and cheap play.
Leg of lamb
Tomahawk ribeye
Tri tip
Smoked sausage
Whole chicken
Chicken Drumsticks

I have one of those things most people hate on this site, a housewife, so she will walk to one of the seafood markets and get whatever she wants like most days. I like stingrays but the markets don’t often have them. If its beef or pork she will sous vide it so I will know days in advance. Sous vide your beef and pork and give your smoker away.

• Sad
Well you’ve got two years more experience smoking meats etc. than me, and the most important thing I’ve learned from smoking proteins is any technique that relies on time is complete and utter bullshit. The meat is done when it’s done. Timers be damned.

Internal temperature monitoring of the protein and proper consistent smoker temperature is far and away the most important part of a successful smoke. That being said, correctly reading and monitoring internal temps on ribs is a challenge and at the end of the day even poorly executed smoked meats are still pretty damn tasty most of the time.
While I can appreciate the sentiment, if you have something that holds a constant temp, times are usually spot on for ribs. Looser for pork butt but usually kinda consistent. I have not yet figured out the voodoo of brisket. I just do that in a slow cooker for corned beef.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT