ADVERTISEMENT

How many doughnuts does it take to get a buzz from this alcoholic doughnut shop?

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
There’s no bouncer at this new spot in Oak Hill Jackson, but the person at the counter may still ask to see your ID.

Glazed and Infused, the only shop serving alcohol-infused doughnuts in the Corridor, opts to offer a hole in the dough rather than a “hole in the wall.”

The latest offering under the Epic Catering LLC umbrella from managing partner and budding restaurateur Brie McLaughlin probably won’t make the average person tipsy on a single serving. But the semi-rotating selection has just enough liquor to enhance the sugar buzz.

With about one-third of an ounce of liquor or alcohol in each doughnut, it takes half a dozen doughnuts to get the equivalent of a cocktail.

“My dad is a nuclear operator. He can’t have these before going to work,” McLaughlin said.

The idea, inspired by luxe, elaborate doughnut shops in Las Vegas made famous by social media, is a riff between a creative angle and a practical one. With a not-so-cheap liquor license in use at sister restaurant Oak Hill Tavern next door, McLaughlin wanted to find more use for it.

If you go:​

What: Glazed and Infused

Address: 804 Fifth St. SE, Cedar Rapids

Hours: 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily, or until sold out

Online: facebook.com/p/Glazed-and-Infused-61557890392938/

Details: Yeast-based doughnuts, frosted with or without liquors are served alongside a small menu of nonalcoholic energy drinks. Liquor-infused doughnuts are $3.25 each; non-alcoholic options start at $2.15.

And like the restaurant, with novelties like the blueberry brie grilled cheese sandwich, she wanted to bring something unique to the scene.

“I like to provide something you can’t find anywhere else,” she said. “There’s not a lot of options in terms of boozy doughnuts in America.”

The liquor isn’t in the filling or the dough of the pastries themselves. Rather, the liquor is infused into the icing on top to avoid the flavor or potency of the alcohol being cooked out.

“I prefer to put it in the icing because it is a quicker delivery,” McLaughlin said. “You’ll taste your alcohol.”

The selection of alcohol-infused options includes the popular margarita with tequila in the icing, mimosa infused with champagne, the chocolate mojito with creme de menthe or the cosmopolitan. If straight sugar is more your drink of choice, regular flavors include vanilla or chocolate frosting, sprinkles, strawberry, blueberry and cherry.

Special upcoming flavors will be rotated regularly, and may include ideas like Cinnamon Toast Crunch with Fireball, bourbon pecan with Grand Marnier, or apple pie with Crown Royal whiskey. Some, in conjunction with the tavern next door, will feature cocktails from the Oak Hill Tavern menu, like the triple berry mule with strawberry, blueberry, blackberry syrup and vodka.

The whipped butter and powdered sugar-based icing keeps the light, yeast-based doughnuts from floating away. The self-taught creator opted for yeast over cake-based doughnuts to ensure a fluffier product that isn’t too heavy on the stomach.

“I want to be able to finish my doughnut — I don’t want it to sit like a rock halfway through,” she said. “Yeast is a light, blank canvas we’re able to manipulate however we want.”

Boozy doughnuts are priced at $3.25 each. Non-alcoholic options start at $2.15.

Aspirations​

In the future, McLaughlin has a vision for a 24-hour doughnut shop that can be an alternative to the slim number of late-night restaurants — many of which cut back on late hours during the pandemic and never returned.

And with THC becoming an increasingly viable option in commercial food and drink production, you may soon have the option to cure your munchies with the cause of your munchies. The element that causes a high in THC drinks sold around Iowa is now available in a simple syrup that can be infused into icing the same way as liquor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT