ADVERTISEMENT

FDR Did Not Want Truman as VP in 1944

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003
FDR is the most successful Democratic Pres of all time. He changed his VP's twice.

In 1944, he wanted James Byrnes. The party elders wanted Truman.

JFK did not like LBJ.

Biden needs to be pragmatic.

Biden will lose if he keeps Harris.

FDR is the most successful Democratic Pres of all time. He changed his VP's twice.

In 1944, he wanted James Byrnes. The party elders wanted Truman.

JFK did not like LBJ.

Biden needs to be pragmatic.

Biden will lose if he keeps Harris.
Honestly west….who the phuque votes for the VP? The Prez ought to pick his VP for whatever reasons he feels necessary. Have you ever voted for a POTUS because of who his running mate was? In my 14 general elections, I cant remember who the VP was half the time for the guy I voted for…..

Honestly west….who the phuque votes for the VP? The Prez ought to pick his VP for whatever reasons he feels necessary. Have you ever voted for a POTUS because of who his running mate was? In my 14 general elections, I cant remember who the VP was half the time for the guy I voted for…..
Normally I agree with this. But Biden is in his 80s. The vp pick has more meaning. That said Harris gets a bad rap because conservatives have attacked her hard-core because of Bidens age. No vp does much and neither has she but they nitpick everything and it's worked because they've convinced a lot of people she is worthless which is ridiculous because no one knows what she's done or how she would handle the job. One thing I know though is she would be a million times better than trump and that's all I need to know about Bidens vp

Harris is awful. The only reason she was picked was the color of her skin and the fact that she has a vagina. That's it. No other redeeming qualities.

Normally I agree with this. But Biden is in his 80s. The vp pick has more meaning. That said Harris gets a bad rap because conservatives have attacked her hard-core because of Bidens age. No vp does much and neither has she but they nitpick everything and it's worked because they've convinced a lot of people she is worthless which is ridiculous because no one knows what she's done or how she would handle the job. One thing I know though is she would be a million times better than trump and that's all I need to know about Bidens vp
So I was supposed to “feel good” when Mike Pence and Dan Quayle and Dick Cheney were sitting in the wings?

high quality GIF

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
She’s also a woman of color who has been portrayed as licentious, fair or not fair, and all rhetoric surrounding her is right out of the front page of every racist’s playbook. That doesn’t mean every criticism of her is racist, or that everyone critiquing her is a bigot, but it does mean that a lot of the anti-Kamala noise should be taken with a large grain of salt. After all, we’re not that far removed from the days when a POTUS’s wife was referred to as an “ape in heels.”

In short, I think there needs to be greater pushback from Dems in defense of her.

She’s also a woman of color who has been portrayed as licentious, fair or not fair, and all rhetoric surrounding her is right out of the front page of every racist’s playbook. That doesn’t mean every criticism of her is racist, or that everyone critiquing her is a bigot, but it does mean that a lot of the anti-Kamala noise should be taken with a large grain of salt. After all, we’re not that far removed from the days when a POTUS’s wife was referred to as an “ape in heels.”

In short, I think there needs to be greater pushback from Dems in defense of her.

Truth

I do hate the fact any criticism of hers gets categorized as either because she's a female or because she's black. When she was elected, I celebrated the milestone achievement. As a father of two daughters I quickly recognized the significance of her election and the message that it sent to my girls--you can do anything! For what it's worth, I thought McCain's VP choice was terrible too and it had nothing to do with the fact Palin was a female.

Reactions: nelly02
Previous VP's have done plenty - Pence led a lot of things specifically COVID response, Biden, well he was in charge of Ukraine and was supposed to be Obama's foreign relations guy, Cheney did a lot of post 9-11 stuff. Harris has done nothing. Where Biden has says she's in charge, she's done nothing. She has demonstrated (and if you think it's nitpicking, fine) that she cannot verbally communicate anything that isn't a rambling, repetitive mess. Biden has not been any times better than Trump, I highly doubt she could exceed Joe

Previous VP's have done plenty - Pence led a lot of things specifically COVID response, Biden, well he was in charge of Ukraine and was supposed to be Obama's foreign relations guy, Cheney did a lot of post 9-11 stuff. Harris has done nothing. Where Biden has says she's in charge, she's done nothing. She has demonstrated (and if you think it's nitpicking, fine) that she cannot verbally communicate anything that isn't a rambling, repetitive mess. Biden has not been any times better than Trump, I highly doubt she could exceed Joe
Oh gee Titan...I forgot how great those GOP VPs have been.
Biden and his foreign policy team have run circles around the inept Trump foreign policy team. Sorry.

Reactions: nelly02
So I was supposed to “feel good” when Mike Pence and Dan Quayle and Dick Cheney were sitting in the wings?
Not a fan of any of the VP's you mentioned but having said that what would have happened if Gore had picked Sen. Graham of Florida in 2000 instead of Lieberman?

Sen Graham had been the Gov of Florida and was very popular as a Senator.

Gore lost Florida in a very close race. Lieberman did nothing to help Gore.

Why did JFK pick LBJ? Let's see, JFK was a Roman Catholic from the Northeast. How would that have gone over in Texas in 1960?

My Dad was in great physical/mental shape at age 81. Within a few years he had dementia. Think how old Biden is. He would be 86 at the end of his term.

I had an open mind on Harris but the first time I saw her speak, she looked at Biden and pulled the victim card on busing. She said Biden hurt her feelings.

Did FDR say that Tojo hurt his feelings after Pearl Harbor? What if Xi attacks the Philippines? Do we say he hurt our feelings?

Harris was then given the border to come up with a solution. How has that gone?

My top Dem picks are either Manchin, Whitmer or Raimondo.

Not a fan of any of the VP's you mentioned but having said that what would have happened if Gore had picked Sen. Graham of Florida in 2000 instead of Lieberman?

Sen Graham had been the Gov of Florida and was very popular as a Senator.

Gore lost Florida in a very close race. Lieberman did nothing to help Gore.

Why did JFK pick LBJ? Let's see, JFK was a Roman Catholic from the Northeast. How would that have gone over in Texas in 1960?

My Dad was in great physical/mental shape at age 81. Within a few years he had dementia. Think how old Biden is. He would be 86 at the end of his term.

I had an open mind on Harris but the first time I saw her speak, she looked at Biden and pulled the victim card on busing. She said Biden hurt her feelings.

Did FDR say that Tojo hurt his feelings after Pearl Harbor? What if Xi attacks the Philippines? Do we say he hurt our feelings?

Harris was then given the border to come up with a solution. How has that gone?

My top Dem picks are either Manchin, Whitmer or Raimondo.
My dad was healthy as a horse at age 63....he died of cancer at age 65....your point? Again...who the hell votes for a ticket based on who the CP nominee is? Other than the nominee’s family...

My dad was healthy as a horse at age 63....he died of cancer at age 65....your point? Again...who the hell votes for a ticket based on who the CP nominee is? Other than the nominee’s family...
Do you think the people of Texas in 1960 wanted a Yankee Catholic as President?

Do you think the people of Florida in 2000 wanted someone from Connecticut over someone from Florida?

Do you think FDR did not know politics in 1944?

Dementia/Alzheimer is common when people get in their 80's.

Sorry about your Dad but cancer hits all ages.

Do you think the people of Texas in 1960 wanted a Yankee Catholic as President?

Do you think the people of Florida in 2000 wanted someone from Connecticut over someone from Florida?

Do you think FDR did not know politics in 1944?

Dementia/Alzheimer is common when people get in their 80's.

Sorry about your Dad but cancer hits all ages.
There were a lot of Catholics in Texas who did.

Kamala does need to bow out. It is a pretty simple way to help alleviate Biden's age issue.

The problem for the Dems is that they have not brought along someone transformative like Obama to bring new blood in the last few years.

I want Pete to be VP

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT