ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz Doesn't Forgive or Forget

Found one question and answer portion of the Tim Lester press conference to be a fascinating reminder of exactly who KF is and has always been.

---

Q. You were quoted in the past as kind of downplaying the total offense stat. I believe you were quoted in the Big Ten Network as saying it was the most overrated stat in football. Do you stand by that? I noticed in the press release about Tim’s hiring that his numbers at Western Michigan specifically in total offense were cited. Do you still believe that’s a stat —
KIRK FERENTZ: Is that in the context of making this hire? Is that for clarification, me talking about total offense?

Q. As far as goals and criteria for evaluating Tim’s performance.
KIRK FERENTZ: Yeah, I’ll give you what I was referring to specifically and then I’m going to step aside and let everybody else talk. But basically my reference is it’s an interesting — believe it or not, I do pay attention to what goes on nationally, and I’ve kind of been fascinated through my career. There’s certain guys that get reputations. In fact, I worked with one 26 years ago. Do the math here, 26, 27 years ago — no, holy smokes, 35 years ago, okay. It was a guy who it was all about him and it was all about the next job, so it was all about his numbers, and the place I was at had a pretty prolific quarterback. In fact, we actually had two really good ones, but it was all about what he was trying to do, his agenda.

Over my career, I’ve noticed there are certain people — I’m not saying that’s all they’re thinking about, but it’s more about their portion of the equation, if you will. I really don’t gravitate towards people like that.

---

Certainly he is speaking about Bob Davie, who was a GA on the 1980 Pitt team, along with Kirk. The prolific QB was none other than Dan Marino.

Joe Moore, Kirk's HS coach and mentor, was OL Coach on the '80 Pitt team.

As a reminder, when Davie took over the Notre Dame from Lou Holtz he unceremoniously fired Joe Moore who was the sitting ND OL coach.

Moore subsequently sued ND for age discrimination and ultimately won.

Davie was fired as HC from ND in 2001 (edit) and Kirk was the hot name for his replacement.

KF refused to interview with a school that would hire Bob Davie.

Edit 2: I omitted this piece of the story. It was not 2001 when Kirk was a hot commodity, but rather 2009 after an 11-2 season, Orange Bowl victory and #7/8 final ranking. The ND job opened up after Charlie Weiss was fired from ND. My apologies for any confusion or consternation.
There was no place for that bone head question at the introduction of Iiwa's new OC. The so called media guy was trying to stir the pot. I refuse to watch his podcasts, which has a small following.

It has to get annoying for KF at times.

His job is to win. He wins at a darn good clip with amazing consistency and still takes an amazing amount of crap.

It's really almost impossible to believe at times. Interesting times we live in
Exactly

Davie loved the Hawks. He became my favorite all time announcer.
Wonder if Kirk ever granted Davie any type of interview before, during or after any of the Iowa games Davie was color commentator? Kirk hold a grudge? :rolleyes:

It has to get annoying for KF at times.

His job is to win. He wins at a darn good clip with amazing consistency and still takes an amazing amount of crap.

It's really almost impossible to believe at times. Interesting times we live in
You don't understand why the questions about the offense are asked?

Your lack of understanding is almost impossible to believe at times, Interesting times we live in

I believe that was his partner Mark Jones that coined that phrase for Freddie
Yes. Davie was responsible for "he's got so much time back there, he's eating sandwiches," in reference to Nathan Chandler (I think) and the OL.

The comment that really made me chuckle was when he was talking about high powered offenses are great until you're turning the ball over routinely inside your own 20. We literally led the nation in that stat last year with the worst offense in the country. Oh the lack of self-awareness
You are looking at just one year. In most years Iowa does pretty well on turnover margin. And KF has said a few times that the turnovers this year were a major problem, so I don't think it is a lack of self-awareness. How he responded (continuing to trot Deacon out there) is another story.

There was no place for that bone head question at the introduction of Iiwa's new OC. The so called media guy was trying to stir the pot. I refuse to watch his podcasts, which has a small following.
That question was pretty tame considering what could have been asked. And if KF does not want tough questions at a rah-rah press conference, then he should provide more opportunities for the tougher questions to be asked.

There was nothing wrong with that question. I have certainly been critical of him in the past, but his podcast is fairly solid, and unlike many other media members he will eat crow.

Reactions: Underscore2
I think he is speaking to the 88-89 season. Chuck Hartlieb the starter. Matt Rodgers was a FR.

I guessed he is talking about Del Miller. who ended up being Synders OC the next year.

Last edited:
You don't understand why the questions about the offense are asked?

Your lack of understanding is almost impossible to believe at times, Interesting times we live in
I understand why questions about the offense are asked.

I don't understand why the offense is the main narrative attached to Iowa football. There are a lot of people out there that I feel sorry for

KF has enjoyed a bubble of lightweight correspondents. If he were in almost any other location, he would get scorched on a weekly basis. He gets the huge paycheck. He needs to man up. Sticks and stones, etc

Brada? Not a small following, clearly. Some of his guests / co-hosts would not be on if it was indeed a "small" following.

Put his YT numbers up with anyone else, including those done by ppl affiliated with this site, and tell me which one is "small".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT