ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz Doesn't Forgive or Forget

Drinkin Buddy

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2015
Hiawatha
Found one question and answer portion of the Tim Lester press conference to be a fascinating reminder of exactly who KF is and has always been.

---

Q. You were quoted in the past as kind of downplaying the total offense stat. I believe you were quoted in the Big Ten Network as saying it was the most overrated stat in football. Do you stand by that? I noticed in the press release about Tim’s hiring that his numbers at Western Michigan specifically in total offense were cited. Do you still believe that’s a stat —
KIRK FERENTZ: Is that in the context of making this hire? Is that for clarification, me talking about total offense?

Q. As far as goals and criteria for evaluating Tim’s performance.
KIRK FERENTZ: Yeah, I’ll give you what I was referring to specifically and then I’m going to step aside and let everybody else talk. But basically my reference is it’s an interesting — believe it or not, I do pay attention to what goes on nationally, and I’ve kind of been fascinated through my career. There’s certain guys that get reputations. In fact, I worked with one 26 years ago. Do the math here, 26, 27 years ago — no, holy smokes, 35 years ago, okay. It was a guy who it was all about him and it was all about the next job, so it was all about his numbers, and the place I was at had a pretty prolific quarterback. In fact, we actually had two really good ones, but it was all about what he was trying to do, his agenda.

Over my career, I’ve noticed there are certain people — I’m not saying that’s all they’re thinking about, but it’s more about their portion of the equation, if you will. I really don’t gravitate towards people like that.

---

Certainly he is speaking about Bob Davie, who was a GA on the 1980 Pitt team, along with Kirk. The prolific QB was none other than Dan Marino.

Joe Moore, Kirk's HS coach and mentor, was OL Coach on the '80 Pitt team.

As a reminder, when Davie took over the Notre Dame from Lou Holtz he unceremoniously fired Joe Moore who was the sitting ND OL coach.

Moore subsequently sued ND for age discrimination and ultimately won.

Davie was fired as HC from ND in 2001 (edit) and Kirk was the hot name for his replacement.

KF refused to interview with a school that would hire Bob Davie.

Edit 2: I omitted this piece of the story. It was not 2001 when Kirk was a hot commodity, but rather 2009 after an 11-2 season, Orange Bowl victory and #7/8 final ranking. The ND job opened up after Charlie Weiss was fired from ND. My apologies for any confusion or consternation.

Last edited:
Davie was fired as HC from ND in 2009
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Interesting history although 1980 is 43 years ago but maybe the actually tooting their own horn took place later. But later would have had Kirk on the Iowa staff.

Found one question and answer portion of the Tim Lester press conference to be a fascinating reminder of exactly who KF is and has always been.

---

Q. You were quoted in the past as kind of downplaying the total offense stat. I believe you were quoted in the Big Ten Network as saying it was the most overrated stat in football. Do you stand by that? I noticed in the press release about Tim’s hiring that his numbers at Western Michigan specifically in total offense were cited. Do you still believe that’s a stat —
KIRK FERENTZ: Is that in the context of making this hire? Is that for clarification, me talking about total offense?

KIRK FERENTZ: Yeah, I’ll give you what I was referring to specifically and then I’m going to step aside and let everybody else talk. But basically my reference is it’s an interesting — believe it or not, I do pay attention to what goes on nationally, and I’ve kind of been fascinated through my career. There’s certain guys that get reputations. In fact, I worked with one 26 years ago. Do the math here, 26, 27 years ago — no, holy smokes, 35 years ago, okay. It was a guy who it was all about him and it was all about the next job, so it was all about his numbers, and the place I was at had a pretty prolific quarterback. In fact, we actually had two really good ones, but it was all about what he was trying to do, his agenda.

Over my career, I’ve noticed there are certain people — I’m not saying that’s all they’re thinking about, but it’s more about their portion of the equation, if you will. I really don’t gravitate towards people like that.

---

Certainly he is speaking about Bob Davie, who was a GA on the 1980 Pitt team, along with Kirk. The prolific QB was none other than Dan Marino.

As a reminder, when Davie took over the Notre Dame from Lou Holtz he unceremoniously fired Joe Moore who was the sitting ND OL coach.

Davie was fired as HC from ND in 2009 and Kirk was the hot name for his replacement.

I think that is some pretty weak sauce by Kirk deflecting the ineptitude of our offense. Being competent and good at your job does not mean you are job-hopping glory hound with an agenda, not looking out for the best interest of the team. Look at Phil Parker.

Interesting history although 1980 is 43 years ago but maybe the actually tooting their own horn took place later. But later would have had Kirk on the Iowa staff.
His on the fly math is wrong. 35 years ago would have put him at Iowa with a 5-6 team and Jim Hartlieb as QB. Not really a prolific QB.

His on the fly math is wrong. 35 years ago would have put him at Iowa with a 5-6 team and Jim Hartlieb as QB. Not really a prolific QB.
I believe Matt Rodgers was the starting QB on that 5-6 team. Tom Poholsky and Jim Hartlieb were backups.

But I believe you are correct, in that Kirk simply got his math wrong. It was more like 45 years ago, rather than 35. I can speak from experience that it gets harder and harder to remember how long ago things occurred.

If you are correct, the other "really good" QB was probably Rick Trocano, who was drafted in the 11th round of the NFL draft, despite being a backup to Marino.

I'd say this theory checks out. Good sleuthing.

This Kirk's comments here bug me. He routinely states how hard it is at Iowa and its disadvantages in an attempt to make himself look like the savior. Also, it's easy to have his mentality after he's at the top making $7M/year.
Always my main rub with Kirk. Gives off the impression we are lowly Iowa. We don’t deserve any better than what he gives us. We should just be happy with 7-9 wins and shut up about anything else.

Man, I thought TDS was bad, that hysteria is nothing compared to FDS. The sniveling contempt is actually funny at this point. Just not the way these astute posters think it is.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Hell, he could’ve been talking about Mike Sherman when they were at Worcester, with QB’s Prescott McGoldenarm and Nigel Slingington.

Kirk's comments here bug me. He routinely states how hard it is at Iowa and it's disadvantages in an attempt to make himself look like the savior. Also, it's easy to have his mentality after he's at the top making $7M/year.
The comment that really made me chuckle was when he was talking about high powered offenses are great until you're turning the ball over routinely inside your own 20. We literally led the nation in that stat last year with the worst offense in the country. Oh the lack of self-awareness

Seriously though, Bob Davie, as a GA, would have no power to do what Kirk is describing. And Davie was ALWAYS criticized as a HC for how he handled his offenses and particularly, his QB’s. His calling card was DEFENSE.

Kirk may have been talking about Wally English, the OC on that Pitt team, that finished #2 in the country.

I see nothing wrong with his comments. He's simply saying he wants coaches that work for the team, and not necessarily their own best interests.

And as for his comments at times about the offense, I will say this -

1. Most people will defend themselves.
2. What people think when under duress and what they say aren't necessarily the same thing.

---

---

Davie was fired as HC from ND in 2001 (edit) and Kirk was the hot name for his replacement.

Edit 2: I omitted this piece of the story. It was not 2001 when Kirk was a hot commodity, but rather 2009 after an 11-2 season, Orange Bowl victory and #7/8 final ranking. The ND job opened up after Charlie Weiss was fired from ND. My apologies for any confusion or consternation.
TBH he can be a bit sensitive and petty

I see nothing wrong with his comments. He's simply saying he wants coaches that work for the team, and not necessarily their own best interests.

2. What people think when under duress and what they say aren't necessarily the same thing.
I wasn't aware that he was under duress in that presser. Defending yourself is one thing. Literally criticizing an outcome from a style you don't prefer while your style is producing the thing you're complaining about and claiming to avoid, is quite another.

I wasn't aware that he was under duress in that presser. Defending yourself is one thing. Literally criticizing an outcome from a style you don't prefer while your style is producing the thing you're complaining about and claiming to avoid, is quite another.
I was referring to comments he made over that last couple of years about the offense (that's the under duress part) vs that interview. Some comments in this thread about those. I don't see where he really defended the offense in that interview - just the way he goes about hiring coaches.

Reactions: Niko13
I was referring to comments he made over that last couple of years about the offense (that's the under duress part) vs that interview. Some comments in this thread about those. I don't see where he really defended the offense in that interview - just the way he goes about hiring coaches.
Any duress he was under was of his own making and he surely didn't do his son any good (financially excepted, of course).

Always my main rub with Kirk. Gives off the impression we are lowly Iowa. We don’t deserve any better than what he gives us. We should just be happy with 7-9 wins and shut up about anything else.
I’m pretty sure he’s had offers to coach at better college and nfl programs. The loyalty is worth something to him and it should be to you as a fan.

Yeah, I agree. I mean could you imagine the part you would have to play as a coach in keeping the locker room together when one side of the ball is really good and the other side is really bad? So it can't be about oneself and what one is doing as a coach, because if it is, that is going to bleed over into the players. Iron sharpens Iron, or so they say.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
What did he say that indicates he didn't forgive something that would be expected to be forgiven? He just said he doesn't gravitate towards wanting to work towards individuals that put their overall accomplishments before the team.

That makes plenty of sense throughout your career to develop some tendencies and preferences for type of personalities and traits you work best with.

However, what is funny, he basically is saying he wouldn't want to work with someone that would agree to sign a contract like BF did lol. That contract put BF in a position to be incentivized to put the offense scoring before anything else.

Seriously though, Bob Davie, as a GA, would have no power to do what Kirk is describing. And Davie was ALWAYS criticized as a HC for how he handled his offenses and particularly, his QB’s. His calling card was DEFENSE.

Kirk may have been talking about Wally English, the OC on that Pitt team, that finished #2 in the country.

The idea that he was talking about Davie is hilarious. I'm glad you pointed that out, but I'm a bit disappointed it took so many posts for someone to point out the obvious.

The idea that he was talking about Davie is hilarious. I'm glad you pointed that out, but I'm a bit disappointed it took so many posts for someone to point out the obvious.
Well we’re not all old as hell. 😀

It has to get annoying for KF at times.

His job is to win. He wins at a darn good clip with amazing consistency and still takes an amazing amount of crap.

It's really almost impossible to believe at times. Interesting times we live in

Not sure about Kirk's comments, but since his name was brought up, I'd take Matt Rogers over any of our QBs for many years. Way underrated! Absolute gamer!

Reactions: Max_Rebo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT