ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz Spring Presser Transcript

Wow, I am always blown away when I read through his pressers. He is digging in his heels. The run game coordinator stuff made no sense whatsoever. It's kind of scary when he starts talking about the wide receiver and linebacker depth. He thinks Greg Davis is a great teacher. There are no meaningful changes. He is untouchable. It's another 6-6 year and more mediocrity.

Originally posted by Sterling_Wildcat:
I don't see Jake on the roster or the scholarship distribution chart anymore.  

That is explained in presser. The assumption is Jake is leaving and Kirk has been classy and gave him unconditional release. Jake is still in building and working out there is a 1% chance Jake returns He just has not yet decided where he is going
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Hawks2405:
Wow, I am always blown away when I read through his pressers. He is digging in his heels. The run game coordinator stuff made no sense whatsoever. It's kind of scary when he starts talking about the wide receiver and linebacker depth. He thinks Greg Davis is a great teacher. There are no meaningful changes. He is untouchable. It's another 6-6 year and more mediocrity.
to be fair, Greg Davis may in fact be a great teacher. Now, what happens on gameday may be another story altogether...

I agree the run game coordinator stuff made no sense. I guess he's telling us he gave is son a better sounding title but he's mostly doing the same thing? Maybe it's a contingency plan for '16: if '15 fails, they're all gone, if '15 succeeds, GD will go out on a high note, and BF will be the new OC, through a relatively small jump from "Run Game Coordinator" to "Offensive Coordinator."

I just came up with that steaming load, but figured I'd roll with it. All I can say is, I hope it works one way or another.

"Again, I look at the quarterback position as a little bit unique; it's a little bit like a point guard maybe in basketball. On basketball teams like there's a lot of transfers at all positions,

What?

And - "You know, if it was in the bowl prep then we would have started‑‑ if we felt like CJ was the best guy to win the game, we would have gone with him in the bowl game, but we did make the decision to let them compete after our last regular season game, let them both compete throughout December, and we also made the commitment we were going to let them both play in the ballgame, and that's what we did. You know, and then at some point you've got to make a decision. You've got to name a starter. I think you do. You could have played it a couple different ways, but I think in the best interest of our football team, after that ballgame it was best to name a No.1, name a No.2, and then move on from there."

Why not have your QBs battle it out in the regular season instead of in a bowl game - is that really "best of the team"? The point of decision should have been made much earlier than a week after the last game!
This post was edited on 3/26 9:05 AM by Vroom_C14

Originally posted by SLarew:
I don't see Jake on the roster or the scholarship distribution chart anymore. Â

That is explained in presser. The assumption is Jake is leaving and Kirk has been classy and gave him unconditional release. Jake is still in building and working out there is a 1% chance Jake returns He just has not yet decided where he is going
It was classy of KF to lie to the qb's for all of 2014 starting in the spring.

Originally posted by thewop:

to be fair, Greg Davis may in fact be a great teacher. Now, what happens on gameday may be another story altogether...

I agree the run game coordinator stuff made no sense. I guess he's telling us he gave is son a better sounding title but he's mostly doing the same thing? Maybe it's a contingency plan for '16: if '15 fails, they're all gone, if '15 succeeds, GD will go out on a high note, and BF will be the new OC, through a relatively small jump from "Run Game Coordinator" to "Offensive Coordinator."

I just came up with that steaming load, but figured I'd roll with it. All I can say is, I hope it works one way or another.
My question (which no one tries to ever answer) is how complicated our offense is. Seems to me you often hear of our younger guys (reason why Derek Willies arguably played much less than his skillset indicated he should) or transfers (a great example of this is Powell after 3 years) not catching on to our offense. People also pointed to it for some our upperclassman still not catching on to it in year 3 of the GDGD reign. Then you look at programs in the SEC where freshman skill players constantly see the field and make an impact. You don't have guys in year 3 under an OC still trying to figure out the offense.

So I have to ask, is our offense really that complicated and/or bad coaching, or are Iowa players just not as smart as SEC players (might want to look up some of the old SEC/academic standards threads for opinion on this)?

Originally posted by TomKakert:
Here's the link to the Ferentz presser transcript from today along with a couple of video clips.
The QB decision seems to have been based solely on a conclusion that Iowa could not get better with JR at QB. There doesn't seem to be an indication that it was based on a decision Beathard might leave if he was not named as #1. One thing about it, if JR stays and everybody registers for fall, then it could be an open competition in fall camp.

Originally posted by SLarew:

I don't see Jake on the roster or the scholarship distribution chart anymore. Â

The presser says he's on the roster, I'm saying he isn't.

KIRK FERENTZ: He's on our roster, but I've certainly granted him ‑‑ permission is not the right word, we've signed releases or whatever the appropriate terms would be to explore options. Bottom line is I want him to be happy about his opportunities in front of him.

So Jake is openly looking to transfer is another program will take him and Ferentz is fine with this? Seems pretty strange to me. I don't think Ferentz would give Canzeri, Smith, or other athletes the same leeway. He has a history of being stubborn and unfair but in this case it is like Jake is the boss.

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:
So Jake is openly looking to transfer is another program will take him and Ferentz is fine with this? Seems pretty strange to me. I don't think Ferentz would give Canzeri, Smith, or other athletes the same leeway. He has a history of being stubborn and unfair but in this case it is like Jake is the boss.
On some things he's absolutely stubborn, but I don't recall any time recently where he has been stubborn or blocked guys from transferring. He's always been supportive of the player (at least to the media) to my recollection, unless there was a really bad breakup that I'm forgetting.

I think this is more everyone knows what's going on and accepting it, so it would just be petty to act otherwise. No reason for Kirk to not allow him to work out or block him from transferring.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

My question (which no one tries to ever answer) is how complicated our offense is. Seems to me you often hear of our younger guys (reason why Derek Willies arguably played much less than his skillset indicated he should) or transfers (a great example of this is Powell after 3 years) not catching on to our offense. People also pointed to it for some our upperclassman still not catching on to it in year 3 of the GDGD reign. Then you look at programs in the SEC where freshman skill players constantly see the field and make an impact. You don't have guys in year 3 under an OC still trying to figure out the offense.

So I have to ask, is our offense really that complicated and/or bad coaching, or are Iowa players just not as smart as SEC players (might want to look up some of the old SEC/academic standards threads for opinion on this)?
I'd have to say that whole "it takes a while to understand our offense" line that KF constantly tries to sell us is really poor coaching, plus it's a plausible sounding (at least to KF) reason/excuse why he seems to not want to pull the old reliable vet for a young, energetic up-and-comer. Some would call that loyalty... but when it comes down to talent on the field and the opportunity to win games, that stubborness is a detriment to the team.

So it was all good when Jake had the reigns and all his knuckle-dragging supporters told CJ he should shut his trap and be a good teammate and ride the pine until it was his turn.

Next thing you know Jake isn't the anointed starter anymore and he bails at the first opportunity.

And all these people on this site assured everyone that Jake was a class act and a good teammate.

Ooops!

roll.r191677.gif

this eerily reminds me of when Jake C bailed at adversity and he could have come in for Stanzi during the Northwestern 2009 game and been the hero and carried off the field.

If CJ gets hurt this year at any point Jake would be right back to full time duties but he isn't willing to hang around and do the same thing that was asked of CJ just last fall. My my what happens when the tables are turned.

I tend to agree, but think the 'class act' jab is a bit over-the-top. The people that know both of these kids have nothing but good things to say about them, the maligned head coach included.

I'm old school and just don't understand the 'take my ball and go home' mentality that seems to persist in many places these days. I personally didn't think CJ would shy from competition, then there was the interview by his dad. I didn't think Jake would shy from competition, and then this spring happened. Late 80s-early 90s when I was in the heat of this stuff, there wasn't drama like this. Some heralded guys never played, it was rare to play as an underclassmen, but guys stayed around for the most part. Yes, McGwire left, Ryan Terry transferred in, some couldn't hack it on the field or classroom, but it was very, very rare.

Maybe JR will stay once this all shakes out, and in this scenario he would be a dang good QB2. I find it hard to critique Ferentz on this one....helping a kid by not placing strings on the release is fair and courteous to the kid...but for the same reason, it's understandable why he shouldn't be involved. Spring practice is when the team gets first exposure to new twists and tweaks.

Last thought on this...hawkeye92 keep up with the, um, insightful posts. Good grief.
Originally posted by Phenomenally Frantastic:
So it was all good when Jake had the reigns and all his knuckle-dragging supporters told CJ he should shut his trap and be a good teammate and ride the pine until it was his turn.

Next thing you know Jake isn't the anointed starter anymore and he bails at the first opportunity.

And all these people on this site assured everyone that Jake was a class act and a good teammate.

Ooops!

roll.r191677.gif

this eerily reminds me of when Jake C bailed at adversity and he could have come in for Stanzi during the Northwestern 2009 game and been the hero and carried off the field.

If CJ gets hurt this year at any point Jake would be right back to full time duties but he isn't willing to hang around and do the same thing that was asked of CJ just last fall. My my what happens when the tables are turned.

Originally posted by cecilB:
I tend to agree, but think the 'class act' jab is a bit over-the-top. The people that know both of these kids have nothing but good things to say about them, the maligned head coach included.

I'm old school and just don't understand the 'take my ball and go home' mentality that seems to persist in many places these days. I personally didn't think CJ would shy from competition, then there was the interview by his dad. I didn't think Jake would shy from competition, and then this spring happened. Late 80s-early 90s when I was in the heat of this stuff, there wasn't drama like this. Some heralded guys never played, it was rare to play as an underclassmen, but guys stayed around for the most part. Yes, McGwire left, Ryan Terry transferred in, some couldn't hack it on the field or classroom, but it was very, very rare.

Maybe JR will stay once this all shakes out, and in this scenario he would be a dang good QB2. I find it hard to critique Ferentz on this one....helping a kid by not placing strings on the release is fair and courteous to the kid...but for the same reason, it's understandable why he shouldn't be involved. Spring practice is when the team gets first exposure to new twists and tweaks.

Last thought on this...hawkeye92 keep up with the, um, insightful posts. Good grief.

Ooops!

roll.r191677.gif

There was never a competition for CJ to earn the spot and he was lied to multiple times. Jake is trying to avoid competition but must not be finding any teams wanting him or giving him the Ferentz guaranteed starting spot.

Perhaps the Iowa roster is filled with "team" players like JR...who think they are better than they actually are.

Remember "back in the day" when a recruit would verbal to Iowa and then take another visit elsewhere? KF would drop his offer. KF walked all over these two current QB's (JR and CJB) and they have returned the favor. Looks weak, from the outside anyway.

Originally posted by revkev73:
Perhaps the Iowa roster is filled with "team" players like JR...who think they are better than they actually are.
Hey, no one got mad at Herbie when he quit the Elf team because he wanted to be a dentist! So why is everyone getting on Jake because he's quitting because he wants to be a surgeon?
We don't even know IF he is going to play football next year, let alone where. If he does, it will probably just to help pay for school, like almost ALL college football players who understand they are not going on to the NFL and are merely trading their services for an education. Let it play out and let it go, you bunch of Herbie haters:)

rudolph_headelf.jpg

What!!! A surgeon? Did you hear that, Jakey wants to be a surgeon...

Ooops!

roll.r191677.gif

Jake C the hero? I'm betting he would have gotten happy feet, threw the ball into the dirt and booed off the field.

Hawkeyesports92 has all made answers.

Tool
Figured you would be used to being wrong by now douche bag. Ferentz lied to CJ last spring and all season about it being open competition. He butchered the whole season.

Originally posted by afsocker:

On some things he's absolutely stubborn, but I don't recall any time recently where he has been stubborn or blocked guys from transferring. He's always been supportive of the player (at least to the media) to my recollection, unless there was a really bad breakup that I'm forgetting.

I think this is more everyone knows what's going on and accepting it, so it would just be petty to act otherwise. No reason for Kirk to not allow him to work out or block him from transferring.
And this is why most of the tool bags here hate him. Being loyal to the players is not a quality that many on this site seem to endure.

Tool
Figured you would be used to being wrong by now douche bag. Ferentz lied to CJ last spring and all season about it being open competition. He butchered the whole season.
examples? links? anything other than your opinion????

Originally posted by trippnschmidt:

Tool
That's the sound of crickets you hear in the background. He has no proof, just his ridiculous biased unsubstantiated opinion. He's a true Cyclone.

hawkeyespirts92,

I think you might be the poster child we'd be warned about during camp meetings. Coach Fry cautioned ''there are guys who never put a jock strap on in their life, they think they have all the answers, they get a few sodie pops in them, and they get the courage to want a piece of Ya...walk away, they aren't worth it'

You're one of them, aren't ya.

Amen. Amen. This is a 6-6 team that would be lucky to get 4 wins if it weren't for the cupcake schedule for the second year in a row.

Jake is leaving when he finds someone that wants him and will promise him playing time. Yes I'm excited about football as I have been for fifty five years. When I'm not you won't find me on this board.

Tool
Anyone with a brain saw the game Ferentz played with CJ last year.

Cecil you are a fat pussy so give it up.

Tool

And some on here simply cannot help themselves no matter how hard they might try.... h92 immediately excludes himself by limiting the scenario to 'anyone with a brain'.

clown.r191677.gif

Thanks, you answer the question about fitting a profile. Carry on

Tool

Tool

Would pay to watch Cecil kick your butt with one hand.

Originally posted by BuddyRydell:

Originally posted by revkev73:
Hey, no one got mad at Herbie when he quit the Elf team because he wanted to be a dentist! So why is everyone getting on Jake because he's quitting because he wants to be a surgeon?
We don't even know IF he is going to play football next year, let alone where. If he does, it will probably just to help pay for school, like almost ALL college football players who understand they are not going on to the NFL and are merely trading their services for an education. Let it play out and let it go, you bunch of Herbie haters:)

ec

What!!! A surgeon? Did you hear that, Jakey wants to be a surgeon...
Mattfoley....the elf's name is Hermey, not Herbie.

Originally posted by hawkjt:

Tool

Would pay to watch Cecil kick your butt with one hand.
You can jump on in any time cupcake.

Boy, I sure hope so. Right now I'm seeing 4 wins...

I don't think Ferentz would give him the release if it was just because Jake was unhappy about the starting situation. It has to be because of med school.

Originally posted by HawkeyeinOmaha:
I don't think Ferentz would give him the release if it was just because Jake was unhappy about the starting situation. It has to be because of med school.
Or it is an easy out for KF to not have to answer questions about the non existent qb battle.

Or it is an easy out for KF to not have to answer questions about the non existent qb battle.
Pretty much all we heard last spring and fall was JR distanced himself from the others...either a lie or blinded by love...

Originally posted by MadDogC:

Pretty much all we heard last spring and fall was JR distanced himself from the others...either a lie or blinded by love...
Yep. We also heard how terrible CJ practiced during the week before the Pitt or some other game.

Originally posted by sabula:

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

I'd have to say that whole "it takes a while to understand our offense" line that KF constantly tries to sell us is really poor coaching, plus it's a plausible sounding (at least to KF) reason/excuse why he seems to not want to pull the old reliable vet for a young, energetic up-and-comer. Some would call that loyalty... but when it comes down to talent on the field and the opportunity to win games, that stubborness is a detriment to the team.
Yes KF never plays the younger more energetic up and comers. Either that or fans have no idea what the hell they are talking about and are more often than not just flat out wrong. It's a puzzle!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT