ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz Spring Presser Transcript

Originally posted by illhawkdvv:

Jake is leaving when he finds someone that wants him and will promise him playing time. Yes I'm excited about football as I have been for fifty five years. When I'm not you won't find me on this board.
Amen brother. I am constantly amused by the numb nuts that come running to this board to complain about Iowa football and how they are done with it until KF is fired. The word unacceptable is thrown around a lot.

Like you, when Iowa football becomes unacceptable to me the last place you will find me is on a message board dedicated to Iowa football. These people are trolls and I am guessing most are Iowa St or Nebraska fans. These are the two fan bases that for whatever reason seem obsessed with Iowa athletics.

They say they can't stand mediocrity and I am guessing that is because their own personal lives are in mediocrity. I mean if you don't play, don't coach, this is 100% entertainment. There is no reason for people to take an average football team personally especially when most of them do nothing but come here and complain about it after sitting on their asses watching it.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:
Originally posted by thewop:

Originally posted by Hawks2405:
Wow, I am always blown away when I read through his pressers. He is digging in his heels. The run game coordinator stuff made no sense whatsoever. It's kind of scary when he starts talking about the wide receiver and linebacker depth. He thinks Greg Davis is a great teacher. There are no meaningful changes. He is untouchable. It's another 6-6 year and more mediocrity.
to be fair, Greg Davis may in fact be a great teacher. Now, what happens on gameday may be another story altogether...

I agree the run game coordinator stuff made no sense. I guess he's telling us he gave is son a better sounding title but he's mostly doing the same thing? Maybe it's a contingency plan for '16: if '15 fails, they're all gone, if '15 succeeds, GD will go out on a high note, and BF will be the new OC, through a relatively small jump from "Run Game Coordinator" to "Offensive Coordinator."

I just came up with that steaming load, but figured I'd roll with it. All I can say is, I hope it works one way or another.
My question (which no one tries to ever answer) is how complicated our offense is. Seems to me you often hear of our younger guys (reason why Derek Willies arguably played much less than his skillset indicated he should) or transfers (a great example of this is Powell after 3 years) not catching on to our offense. People also pointed to it for some our upperclassman still not catching on to it in year 3 of the GDGD reign. Then you look at programs in the SEC where freshman skill players constantly see the field and make an impact. You don't have guys in year 3 under an OC still trying to figure out the offense.

So I have to ask, is our offense really that complicated and/or bad coaching, or are Iowa players just not as smart as SEC players (might want to look up some of the old SEC/academic standards threads for opinion on this)?
I was reading through the article linked below and remembered several of the comments in this thread. This is a bit of a head-scratcher but may be somewhat enlightening. Take this tidbit for example:

"We're hearing one voice from the run coordinator on, 'This is how this ties in with the O-line. This is what the coach is telling the back, and you need to know that he's pressing the hole here. He's reading this. These are the line calls. This is how it all ties in together,' "

Aren't these typically the kinds of details that normally fall under the OC's responsibility? Perhaps the real problems with the offense have been a lack of effective communication/instruction to the various units on how the game-plan is supposed to work.

Or take this:
White said he has been asking Davis and Brian about putting in a lag-draw running play for Akrum Wadley, "who ripped off a couple the other day." That's one example of how communication has improved.

I'm confused about how implementing the new RGC position has improved this type of request from one coach to another. Were requests such as this one unwelcome previously or what? Something about this new position doesn't smell right, but I am eager to see things improve. So if it works, great.

I'm just really hoping that we don't end up in the situation PSU was in during JoePa's last few seasons where they had co-OC's (one calling run plays and one calling pass plays if I remember correctly).

What does a Run Game Coordinator do?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT