ADVERTISEMENT

I think the chances of Caitlin Clark making Team USA for the Paris Olympics may have gone up

CC brings ratings. They’d be foolish to leave her off the team.
The Olympics can stand on their own. Most don't want to admit it, but she is a little toxic right now and it might be best if she sits this one out. Let the older women get their dues and she won't be a distraction. Her time will come! Might fit in like Christian Laettner on the Dream Team.
Excited I Want GIF by Chimpers

Boston is on the non-final roster right now.

Looking at the roster's guards, Taurasi could easily be replaced with Clark if Team USA was worried about the future.
GPMINPTSREBASTSTLBLKTOFG%3P%FT%PF

Compared to Clark who his high turnovers and a lower FG and 3P% for reasons explained below.

Rhyne Howard isn't exactly distancing herself either with worse distance shooting than Clark.

And then there's Ariel Atkins with similar shooting percentages, fewer points rebounds and assists, and only only has the advantage of fewer turnovers than Clark.

That's one guard listed on the roster that Clark is having a better season than right now and two others that are comparable. While Clark has played more games, against harder competition, with less rest, basically immediately after playing the most games possible in an NCAA season with no offseason break, and effectively no practice time with her team leading to worse shooting stats from tired legs and at least one or two extra turnovers per game.
I'd take Gustufsan before Boston right now but I'm sure there are half a dozen other players more deserving as well.

I haven't given up on Boston though. I think it's been a combination of being asked to play a style she's never played before and not having any time in the offseason to rebuild her game to adapt to it. I do think she has the athletic talent to do it, but just like Clark the schedule just hasn't provided any time to adapt to it. And, part of the responsibility falls on Sides' lap as well. It seems like she just didn't know what to do with Clark. I feel like management understood what Clark would bring to the team but Sides didn't do anything to prepare her offense or the team for it.

The Olympics can stand on their own. Most don't want to admit it, but she is a little toxic right now and it might be best if she sits this one out. Let the older women get their dues and she won't be a distraction. Her time will come! Might fit in like Christian Laettner on the Dream Team.
Not so much about the Olympics, but it would build more interest for the league for the rest of the season. The early numbers for the WNBA don't lie, the increased attendance, viewership are connected to games Caitlin has played in. (Although my guess is NBC would have more people watching women's basketball than ever before if she's on the team.) Not knowing very much about the WNBA before this year, it strikes me as a very deferential group, so if my perception is correct, it would mean to the extent the WNBA is involved, she sits this one out. It sort of depends on who is calling the shots. I'm sure NBC has a vote, at least a silent vote.

To be honest, her stats just aren't that good. Leading the league in turnovers and shooting only 35% (less than 30% from 3) seems to be a huge negative for not making the team. However, she still has time to turn things around.
You’re overstating the shooting percentages of the WNBA….of the top 50 scorers, only 4 out of 12 of the players who shoot a lot of threes are shooting higher than 39% overall from the field. The shooting percentages across the league are not as good as some of the talking heads try to make them out to be.

They would be dumb to pass on the ratings, and it looks like they will do it. If they pass on her and they draw less than a fever game in terms of viewership I will laugh my ass off.

Chelsea Gray hasn't played all year due to an injury. I'm going to hold out hope that she decides to pull out.
You beat me to it. She suffered a serious foot injury last summer. Has not played a WNBA game all year. Still no timetable or target date for her return.

I understand that the USOC prefers a squad of proven veterans but availability and playing shape should take priority over career accomplishments.

It will be interesting to see what direction USA basketball, the WNBA or anyone else involved goes. The obvious huge marketing bump there would be by putting her on the team (again she'd be deserving so putting her on the team isn't only about marketing) or the assuaging the egos of those who would be left off? It could be tricky for those involved in making the decision. They'll be criticized either way.

If Caitlin doesn't get named to the team, I expect her to be her typical gracious self when people poke her for a reaction.
It seems like we have our answer.

Reactions: Tenacious E
The Olympics can certainly stand in their own, but some sports are covered considerably more than others. Women's basketball with Caitlin would earn coverage right up their with gymnastics and swimming. Without her and it's like coverage of women's wrestling.

The Olympics can certainly stand in their own, but some sports are covered considerably more than others. Women's basketball with Caitlin would earn coverage right up their with gymnastics and swimming. Without her and it's like coverage of women's wrestling.
It’s a little different but same result. That is, the women are so dominant they don’t get covered, because who cares if we beat another country by 25 points or 45 points. So, no drama or suspense. Or at least, that is what I read. Now they will have drama and suspense at the press conferences.

I'd watch womens topless mud wrestling.

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
It’s a little different but same result. That is, the women are so dominant they don’t get covered, because who cares if we beat another country by 25 points or 45 points. So, no drama or suspense. Or at least, that is what I read. Now they will have drama and suspense at the press conferences.
So they can be dominant with almost no one watching or dominant with millions watching…yeah, let’s go with the no one watching option.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT