ADVERTISEMENT

Fickle Fans

GunnerHawk

HB All-American
Mar 16, 2014
After last week's beat down of Washington - everybody was amped about the Hawks. This week, they suck, coaches suck and the sky is falling. To add to the negativity the same cast of characters piled on about firing Kirk, benching McNamara, record inflated because we play bad teams, etc.

Nobody wants to admit that it is tough to win on the road, especially at MSU. I was there for our last two wins in East Lansing, the crowd is loud and hostile. I'm willing to bet few of the board whiners have been there.

My honest take for this game. We were flat and they came out fresh and ready to go. The bye week really helped them. Our defense played way too conservative against Chiles. Instead of pinning our ears back and going after him, we held our blocks and let him pick us apart. They had well over 200 yards of offense on first down, we were always backing up. Once again we played one half of football.

Yes, our secondary is not good. Losing Castro is a huge loss for us. Then Entringer went down. DB depth wasn't good to start the year. Parker has been saying that since the start of the year. McNamara played one decent half, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the first half. I thought Hill was playing.

Lester needs to open it up early. Our stubborness to run when they stack the box is not good. Getting stuffed on first and second down and having third and long, doesn't work. That is Bob Cummings football.

Bottom line, MSU played better. They have better team speed. RB's were elusive and strong runners. They beat us on the edge all day. They won both lines if scrimmage and moved the ball well.

MY 9-3 prediction now looks to be questionable. Wiscy looks very good, UCLA is getting better and it's a Friday night game out there, Maryland beat USC yesterday and Nebraska is much improved. I easily could see two losses.

After last week's beat down of Washington - everybody was amped about the Hawks. This week, they suck, coaches suck and the sky is falling. To add to the negativity the same cast of characters piled on about firing Kirk, benching McNamara, record inflated because we play bad teams, etc.

Nobody wants to admit that it is tough to win on the road, especially at MSU. I was there for our last two wins in East Lansing, the crowd is loud and hostile. I'm willing to bet few of the board whiners have been there.

My honest take for this game. We were flat and they came out fresh and ready to go. The bye week really helped them. Our defense played way too conservative against Chiles. Instead of pinning our ears back and going after him, we held our blocks and let him pick us apart. They had well over 200 yards of offense on first down, we were always backing up. Once again we played one half of football.

Yes, our secondary is not good. Losing Castro is a huge loss for us. Then Entringer went down. DB depth wasn't good to start the year. Parker has been saying that since the start of the year. McNamara played one decent half, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the first half. I thought Hill was playing.

Lester needs to open it up early. Our stubborness to run when they stack the box is not good. Getting stuffed on first and second down and having third and long, doesn't work. That is Bob Cummings football.

Bottom line, MSU played better. They have better team speed. RB's were elusive and strong runners. They beat us on the edge all day. They won both lines if scrimmage and moved the ball well.

MY 9-3 prediction now looks to be questionable. Wiscy looks very good, UCLA is getting better and it's a Friday night game out there, Maryland beat USC yesterday and Nebraska is much improved. I easily could see two losses.
Two losses? I can easily see only 2 more wins. And next year is going to be worse.

“Nebraska is much improved”. How drunk are you??

Didn't read all of that.

Yeah, sports fans are fickle but I'm ready for some new blood. KF has accomplished little to nothing the past 15 years other than to get blown out when his team does actually get to the big stage (Rose Bowl, B10 title games). 26 years is plenty..

Yes, playing on the road in the B1G is hard. A simple loss to MSU would not have been shocking. A total beat down by a 3-3 team was completely unexpected.

MSU scored 8 times. 8 times. If they convert a couple of those FG's into TD's the score would look more representative of the game we watched - 40-20.

Edit: 32 First downs for Sparty? 32?

It's just an L on the record, but it felt much worse.

Last edited:
hope no longer springs eternal apparently
Hope is not, never was, and never will be a strategy. You need a plan. Not a concept of a plan. You need a real plan. Iowa's should be to can KF and his ENTIRE staff ASAP. But if you're looking for hope, cast your eyes on Bloomington, Indiana, where a first-year coach has Indiana poised to play for a Big Ten title in his first season on the job. When he arrived, he said he planned on doing two things: winning and entertaining. Check and check.

Of course, Indiana is a football factory that went to the Rose Bowl for its first and only time as recently as 1967, so the guy did step into a pretty sweet gig . . .

George Clooney Reaction GIF

“Nebraska is much improved”. How drunk are you??
Yeah. The problem isn't Nebraska. The problem is Iowa. They looked bad on both sides of the ball yesterday and if they play like that the rest of the year it's going to end with a thud. They need Castro back, and I'm not sure what he did to get benched, but we need Lee out on that right corner as well because the others were really bad yesterday.

The QB thing is a total mystery as well, but there's nothing new there. The passing game has dragged the team all year.

Hope is not, never was, and never will be a strategy. You need a plan. Not a concept of a plan. You need a real plan. Iowa's should be to can KF and his ENTIRE staff ASAP. But if you're looking for hope, cast your eyes on Bloomington, Indiana, where a first-year coach has Indiana poised to play for a Big Ten title in his first season on the job. When he arrived, he said he planned oTn doing two things: winning and entertaining. Check and check.

Of course, Indiana is a football factory that went to the Rose Bowl for its first and only time as recently as 1967, so the guy did step into a pretty sweet gig . . .
There is indiana this year. Hawks have been good to very good for 45 years. Then you have minnesota, nebraska, purdue, jnw, illinois, rutgers, Maryland that would love to have 45 decent years.

Sounds like a case of Lester having to take orders from Capt Fossil, to our ruin.
Not at all convinced that Lester has been given meaningful autonomy.

Speak for yourself, old timer.

Ain’t no one who can call me fickle.

This is the same script nearly every year. I said it during the Minnesota game and I am saying it now. Iowa will get blown out against legit top 25 teams, have one surprise performance like vs. Washington, and will have a WTF game like at MSU.

Next week, Iowa will “right the ship” against Northwestern, winning a barn burner 16-10, and you will be back on here riding Kirk’s dick while flexing.

Iowa will go to the Outback Bowl and get their ass kicked and you will be here flexing again about Kirk’s integrity and clean program.

I would say rinse and repeat but next year will be a lot different with an actual P5 schedule.

Yes, playing on the road in the B1G is hard. A simple loss to MSU would not have been shocking. A total beat down by a 3-3 team was completely unexpected.

MSU scored 8 times. 8 times. If they convert a couple of those FG's into TD's the score would look more representative of the game we watched - 40-20.

They never had to punt.

There is indiana this year. Hawks have been good to very good for 45 years. Then you have minnesota, nebraska, purdue, jnw, illinois, rutgers, Maryland that would love to have 45 decent years.
1980 has zero bearing on the last 3 years. Unless that tight end from Miami is going to transfer to Iowa in the offseason.

Well at least YOU admitted Iowa is not as good as you think they are.

People like you, are why Iowa's football program can be double lapped by the likes of Indiana--do they even have a weight room--in less than 1/2 year.

• Haha
Reactions: Iron Doc

Not everyone was amped. Like many of us said earlier in the season, if you enjoy following a team that consistently under performs in key areas like recruiting, QB play, overall offense philosophy/decision-making and enjoys average seasons (outside of 1 or 2 good seasons every decade), then KF's program is for you. If you're not happy with it, stop donating resources to this mess.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
BTW ...for anyone wondering, 12 is the number of times OP criticized or outright insulted coaches or players in his post chastising all of us for having the audacity to criticize coaches and players.

Rules for thee....
Yeah, but he has been to MIchigan State a couple of times, so he is obviously an expert. I guess............

Sounds like a case of Lester having to take orders from Capt Fossil, to our ruin.
Not at all convinced that Lester has been given meaningful autonomy.
Yeah watching Lester's O run the ball into a brick wall 20 times a game is eerily similar to what BF did. Wonder why that is. 🤔

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Yeah watching Lester's O run the ball into a brick wall 20 times a game is eerily similar to what BF did. Wonder why that is. 🤔
yes, quite a coincidence to say the least. Maybe if we think really really hard, we can figure out the reason.

Post of day…
This times a million. We weren’t even in the same zip code yesterday .

Right. Because you are knee jerk negative.
Finally, another superfan comes in to the defense.

BTW, your fellow superfan said (and I quote) he could “easily see two losses,” which if my math is working right, translates directly into “easily seeing only three more wins.”

But “easily seeing only two more wins” is being knee jerk negative. Lol.

Never change, mark, never change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT