ADVERTISEMENT

Fight Night

Can someone give a breakdown of (1) what fight night is, (2) why iowa doesnt attend (3) any other interesting info about it.

I am apparently woefully uninformed and i am seeing lots of posts about it on facebook. The pictures look like thomas gilman was there (although those could be outdated photos)
I would think it’s at night and there are fights

Reactions: el dub
I cant speak for Coach -- but his best use of time is coaching in the room or recruiting-- This is one of those events that probably dont help much on either of those fronts. He makes himself available all over the state with Iclub meetings, HWC events, news conferences.
Send someone? He has been there and done that--we all know how that worked out--
Unfortunately he has MANY opportunities that he has to say no to --and some are fantastic events.

I don’t know…. Doesn’t sound like Spooner’s MO. He’s more inclined to call posters for saying stupid stuff, and less likely to encourage staff to say dumb shite in public.

Is the event held in a bar?
Used to be at Joe's Knight Hawk bar in Waverly. Joe is rather arrogant, imo.
The fans on this board sure make it difficult to continue to follow and support the program. Someone has a different opinion and you go off the rails and attack that viewpoint.
Dude, it's the cesspool. Kinda our "thing ".

Here’s an idea, send Spencer to the event. He is probably that hardest person to talk smack to because he’s so nice. Kill them with kindness.

Fight night is just stupid and it’s at a shitty bar owned by a shitty owner in a boring city. Who cares, not youth wrestlers.
I can only name five boring cities in Iowa. And don’t think this event is held in any of them. Lol

Reactions: SansSouci
Did you get kicked out of there by chance?

No I hooked up there, but I played pool for money when I was younger and I never brought my own stick and all theirs were 4 feet long with no tips on them.

My great-great-grandfather was treated like shit in Waverly by the Germans because he was an Irish immigrant. I hold grudges apparently. He left Waverly and settled Shellrock and became the biggest horse drawn carriage company owner in Iowa he wasn’t allowed to do that in Waverly. I go to Waverly everyday, it’s boring, nice town though with great schools. Joe’s Knight Hawk sucks ass all around. Just my opinion. Am I allowed to have one?

Reactions: MitchLL and el dub
No I hooked up there, but I played pool for money when I was younger and I never brought my own stick and all theirs were 4 feet long with no tips on them.

My great-great-grandfather was treated like shit in Waverly by the Germans because he was an Irish immigrant. I hold grudges apparently. He left Waverly and settled Shellrock and became the biggest horse drawn carriage company owner in Iowa he wasn’t allowed to do that in Waverly. I go to Waverly everyday, it’s boring, nice town though with great schools. Joe’s Knight Hawk sucks ass all around. Just my opinion. Am I allowed to have one?
Joe's has some of the best pizza and wings around here...nothing fancy but great food!

According to the Census Bureau
City: Minimum population requirement of 25,000 for new cities; ex- isting cities have a minimum population requirement of 5,000. Cities must be at least 4 square miles in area, have a minimum population density of 1,000 people per square mile, and an assessed property valuation of $2,500 per capita.

Typically, once a town reaches a population of somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 people, it will begin to be informally regarded as a city.

Speaking of 'fight night', noticed the ubiquitous Colby Covington fought for a MMA title this weekend. Think/maybe he fought on the Saul (Canelo) Alvarez card. Although he suffered defeat, probably a nice payday.

According to the Census Bureau
City: Minimum population requirement of 25,000 for new cities; ex- isting cities have a minimum population requirement of 5,000. Cities must be at least 4 square miles in area, have a minimum population density of 1,000 people per square mile, and an assessed property valuation of $2,500 per capita.

Typically, once a town reaches a population of somewhere between 20,000 and 30,000 people, it will begin to be informally regarded as a city.
Makes sense to me. And sometimes they make it easy on us by naming them properly. Iowa City, Sioux City, Mason City, etc.

I got no explanation for Swea City. Something must have went awry way back when. A well went dry, the towns only mule died, something to that effect........😏

Speaking of 'fight night', noticed the ubiquitous Colby Covington fought for a MMA title this weekend. Think/maybe he fought on the Saul (Canelo) Alvarez card. Although he suffered defeat, probably a nice payday.
He fought on a UFC card at MSG the same night Showtime held the Canelo fight. (He’s from Eugene area.)

He fought on a UFC card at MSG the same night Showtime held the Canelo fight. (He’s from Eugene area.)
My memory is crap, but I met Colby Covington briefly in between sessions of NCAA's way back when in St. Louis (mutual friend brought him by, don't recall who it was even). Think that might have been when he had a cup of coffee with Iowa (?).

He lost to Kamaru Usman for the 2nd time, 48-47, 48-47, 49-46.

Only been to one MMA show, at Target Center with Brock the Rock Lesnar as the headliner. Don't watch much MMA, follow it some, but those guys are freaking nuts! Ha!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT