ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Christie Sides

They are clearly working on it because it is better than it was last week. But you aren't wrong. Boston still needs to shake off the rust as well.
Watching Boston run is like watching Luka Garza run up the floor. Only you could tell that Luka was running as hard as he possibly could. Boston looks like she's running with cement shoes on and yet also isn't pushing 100% because she isn't at maximum conditioning like Luka.

"In 142 possessions where she has brought the ball up, Indiana has averaged 1.06 points per possession -- good for a top-five offense in the WNBA. When someone else brings the ball up, the Fever's offense drops to 0.82 points per possession, which would rank last."

Is there also a stat for defense when Clark is on the floor vs not? Her offense seemed to be decent on Monday, but the stats say she was -18 in an overall even game. Is her defense that bad?

Is there also a stat for defense when Clark is on the floor vs not? Her offense seemed to be decent on Monday, but the stats say she was -18 in an overall even game. Is her defense that bad?
It's not good, but neither is anybody else's on that team either.

yes her defense is bad but +/- is a really stupid stat. I wouldn't pay much attention to it

Reactions: like-woahh
yes her defense is bad but +/- is a really stupid stat. I wouldn't pay much attention to it
It seems to me that the coach is willing to do what bluder let her do at times on defense. Just kind of sag and hangout to rest and stay out of foul trouble. That way she is fresh on offense. Usually turns out to be a net positive.

Iowa has never been known for their defense. Their style of defense does not translate well to the next level. If Caitlin wants to really move her game up to the next level, she will have to learn how to play WNBA defense otherwise teams will highlight her and she'll end up either in foul trouble or giving up easy buckets.

Reactions: Andrew Houk

"In 142 possessions where she has brought the ball up, Indiana has averaged 1.06 points per possession -- good for a top-five offense in the WNBA. When someone else brings the ball up, the Fever's offense drops to 0.82 points per possession, which would rank last."

I don't even understand why they drafted Clark if this is how they are going to play.

The fever were up 4 around 5 minutes left, Sides sits CC and Seattle goes on a 9-0 run and CC came back in around the 3 minute mark.

It's like she has some stupid set rotation where, ope... 4-5 minutes left, time to pull Clark.

I don't understand wtf she is doing or trying to do. They put up a bunch of points and a solid effort against Conn, who is supposed to be really good. Then it's like, "for tonight's performance, time for something completely different!"

Not impressed with her so far, I get she's a new head coach... but she'd better figure it out. They suck in all phases.

Five games in and I still don’t have a freaking clue what Sides wants to do on offense. Try Wheeler at the point. Try Mitchell at the point. Hey, tonight let’s try Wallace at the point. WTF.
I don't understand why Wallace was the primary person bringing the ball up the floor last night.

Reactions: spiderland
I thought it was interesting that on Memphis sports radio today, they were talking about how many games it will take before the Fever decides to fire Sides. The guys talking said an 0-7 or 0-8 start might do it.

Just notable to see that this notion isn't limited to Hawkeye fans who are wearing Caitlin Clark blinders.

The blood was cleaned up before they resumed play. Clark looked at Sides with "I'm ready" gesture. Sides then sat her for 2.5 minutes.
Then I'm guessing Sides took it as an opportunity to give CC a quick breather before the stretch run.

This is very common for NBA coaches to do with their stars. Although the player is usually inserted back into the game around the 5 or 4 minute mark. I would not be at all surprised to see this continue with CC.

Although I would say, in a vacuum, and without the benefit of inside info, that it was a mistake to not have CC back into the game by at least the 4 minute mark. Maybe she was waiting at the scorer's table for quite a while. I don't recall.

One thing we do know is that CC is currently dealing with a shaky ankle. So I don't think we can beat a coach up for mixing in some rest for her. The Fever are playing a lot of games in a short period of time. And it's been a long and stressful year for CC, when you consider the weight of dealing with breaking the records.

The Knicks are an example of what happens when a coach runs his players into the ground. They were barely able to field a five man unit by the end of their season.

If Sides were to ride CC too hard, and she were to get injured, people would be giving her crap about that too

Then I'm guessing Sides took it as an opportunity to give CC a quick breather before the stretch run.

This is very common for NBA coaches to do with their stars. Although the player is usually inserted back into the game around the 5 or 4 minute mark. I would not be at all surprised to see this continue with CC.

Although I would say, in a vacuum, and without the benefit of inside info, that it was a mistake to not have CC back into the game by at least the 4 minute mark. Maybe she was waiting at the scorer's table for quite a while. I don't recall.

One thing we do know is that CC is currently dealing with a shaky ankle. So I don't think we can beat a coach up for mixing in some rest for her. The Fever are playing a lot of games in a short period of time. And it's been a long and stressful year for CC, when you consider the weight of dealing with breaking the records.

The Knicks are an example of what happens when a coach runs his players into the ground. They were barely able to field a five man unit by the end of their season.

If Sides were to ride CC too hard, and she were to get injured, people would be giving her crap about that too
Yes. All true. The best players usually sit for minute or so at the end of the 1st and 3rd periods to take advantage of the TV timeouts. Why she sat for two minute (game clock) and about six minutes (actual time) during the decisive closing stretch is beyond me. The Fever got outscored 10-3 with CC siting.

Clark was at the scorcer table from 4:10 to 3:13 waiting to get in. There were two whistles 20 and 30 seconds earlier where Sides could have got her in, but she didn't. She should have told an assistant coach to watch the clock and get her in at at least 4:00. This might seem picky, but good coaches don't this this do stuff happen. I've seen coaches yell at players to foul to get their stars in in such situations.

If Hull hadn't fouled Lloyd on that 3-point shot, Clark could have sat there until two minutes were remaining.

Last edited:
It's like she has some stupid set rotation where, ope... 4-5 minutes left, time to pull Clark.

I don't understand wtf she is doing or trying to do. They put up a bunch of points and a solid effort against Conn, who is supposed to be really good. Then it's like, "for tonight's performance, time for something completely different!"

Not impressed with her so far, I get she's a new head coach... but she'd better figure it out. They suck in all phases.
Article in the DM Register today by Indy Star reporter "Sides helping Clark break bad habits"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT