ADVERTISEMENT

Fire destroys Amana Colonies Golf Club clubhouse

Yep, round times are the biggest problem in the game today by far, especially when courses are filled with hacks and wannabes taking 15 minutes on every green. USGA 2014 campaign was "While We're Young", which really emphasized ready golf and playing the right tee boxes. This year's campaign was "Play 9", which needs no explanation.

I like the idea of the Play 9 campaign, however, it probably won't gain much momentum as long as the majority of courses charge a 9-hole rate that is 70-80% of the greens fee for a whole round. Some courses I've played it was literally like $3-4 more to play the back nine. Generally I play 18 or I don't play at all because of this pricing method.

....and yes, the timing of this fire and the apparent financial situation seems fishy.

xphoto.php

Personally, I blame this guy....and his cross between Kentucky Bluegrass and California Sensemilia.....

....and yes, the timing of this fire and the apparent financial situation seems fishy.
Sad but true. Lots of talk about that. I really hope they find a legitimate cause to erase those thoughts.

I played there a few times over the years. Pricey unless you used a promotional deal. Couple that with how many balls I lose on that course and the cost really goes up. I'm not a terrible golfer by any means but that course really swallows them up.

I was in the golf industry about 20 years ago....had been around it all my life growing up. I worked at a club in Des Moines for 3 years after college.....we had over 400 members and the membership was very active. The private club business model is not sustainable anymore. We didn't have all the activities that kids do now.....so parents that can maybe afford to join a club, just don't have the time.....I would put my wife and I in that same group....I would love to do it, but I just don't have the time to play often enough for it to make financial sense. So, what is happening.....the clubs are depending on that aging group that doesn't have kids at home anymore....and they lose a handful each year, get replaced by families that go gun ho the first couple months they join.....then start getting the bills!!!! Slows them way down....and they last a year or two. I have a couple buddies that went to a club...tried to warn them....everyone has to learn firsthand I guess.
Hah this was us. Had a lot of fun but did not have time to really golf at all with kids' sports/activities. Just could not justify it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT