ADVERTISEMENT

FIRE KIRK FERENTZ!!!!

Milehigh is a good name for you. Nobody that I've seen thinks kf comes on here to get advise. Low tickets sales translates from unhappy fans, there do you get it??

While this is true, ticket sales for this year hadn't started when Kirk put CJ at #1 on the depth chart. It really sounds like the Nebraska game last year was teh tipping point for the staff. What I've heard him say over and over is "we know you weren't happy with last season and particularly how it ended, neither were we".

Didn't Ferentz acknowledge at least slightly the fans with his comment about players, coaches, and fans leaving Kinnick last November with a bad taste?

He's either listening or saying he's listening to the fans. Either way ... WE'RE IN HIS DOME!

Seriously, if big-time college athletics is big business - and it is - why wouldn't the CEO listen to the fans if we are the customers?

A more jaded view than I would like to have, but probably is true.

Do you feel like CEO's listen to customers. Is that why I am always listening to a voice recording when I call customer service. Someone must have told the CEO of almost every single company in the world that we as customers want voice recordings to help us with our problems. So that is what we got. Well to whoever suggested voice recordings over actual human customer service. F you very much. :)

Reactions: milehighhawkeye24
I know for a fact that for the previous 4 years Kirk Ferentz had an assistant monitor daily fan sentiment on message boards during the course of the season. Here is how it went down:

Sunday - Thursday: Assistant "A" (sorry, I'm protecting my sources) would read every public message board post pertaining to Iowa football players and, specifically, personnel decisions and playing time. Assistant "A" would create a list of players who had been named publically by Iowa fans; he would then keep a tally of favorable vs. unfavorable mentions for each player mentioned by said Iowa fans.

Friday morning: Assistant "A" would meet in person with Coach Ferentz and present his findings. A pro/anti player tally would be presented and a summary of the various commentaries was included, good and bad.

Friday afternoon: Coach Ferentz would meet with his OC and DC concerning final game plan preparations. Pay attention - here is the kicker .......

even if the prevailing opinion among all the coaches was that CJ Beathard should start on Saturday, Ferentz would always decide in favor of starting Jake Rudock when a majority of Iowa fans either criticized Jake Rudock or demanded that Beathard start at QB.

According to Assistant "A" (again, a protected source), Ferentz was clearly more interested in sticking it to the Iowa fans than the well-being of his team, or even winning.

Friday afternoon: At practice, Ferentz would announce starters prior to the walk-thru.

Now you know. Many here have suspected this was the case. We now have confirmation from a member of the coaching staff.

If we keep winning, NO. Fans are still taking credit for this profound change in philosophy. So why fire the guy for doing what the fans have been clamoring for.

The first loss you can bet on it. Those fans will go right back to giving KF full credit for the success of the team.

10356091.jpeg

There are still doubters asking wait until after Iowa plays both Wisconsin and Northwestern. The players need to step up and take care of business. They are off to a good start and for the most part the coaching staff has put them in an excellent position for success or at least playing with an attitude.

4 passing grades ... but, September was truly Pass/Fail.

Is that the same for Iowa-Wisconsin.

The Badgers could be the best team in the West again?

I know for a fact that for the previous 4 years Kirk Ferentz had an assistant monitor daily fan sentiment on message boards during the course of the season. Here is how it went down:

Sunday - Thursday: Assistant "A" (sorry, I'm protecting my sources) would read every public message board post pertaining to Iowa football players and, specifically, personnel decisions and playing time. Assistant "A" would create a list of players who had been named publically by Iowa fans; he would then keep a tally of favorable vs. unfavorable mentions for each player mentioned by said Iowa fans.

Friday morning: Assistant "A" would meet in person with Coach Ferentz and present his findings. A pro/anti player tally would be presented and a summary of the various commentaries was included, good and bad.

Friday afternoon: Coach Ferentz would meet with his OC and DC concerning final game plan preparations. Pay attention - here is the kicker .......

even if the prevailing opinion among all the coaches was that CJ Beathard should start on Saturday, Ferentz would always decide in favor of starting Jake Rudock when a majority of Iowa fans either criticized Jake Rudock or demanded that Beathard start at QB.

According to Assistant "A" (again, a protected source), Ferentz was clearly more interested in sticking it to the Iowa fans than the well-being of his team, or even winning.

Friday afternoon: At practice, Ferentz would announce starters prior to the walk-thru.

Now you know. Many here have suspected this was the case. We now have confirmation from a member of the coaching staff.

Nu2u, I think you have the same inside sources as SP.

Reactions: DarkThunder#61

Lol, im sorry, this is straight comedy. I can't believe KF didn't change his starting QB's based on what we said on a message board. How dare he

Even if the all the above items are true regarding the coach and reporting back to Kirk, why does Kirk making his own decision, as head coach of the football team, mean that he was deliberately "sticking it to the Iowa fans"? He's getting paid to do a job, and he's going to do it the way he feels best. Yes, it's possible that he's become more in-tune with listening to our opinions, but he's still going to do what he wants, and we aren't going to know his reasons unless he tells us. As far as him potentially disagreeing with his entire coaching staff, that's his prerogative, and though it sounds a bit pig-headed and stubborn, he's still the boss.

I would wonder that if said coach has that low of an opinion of Kirk, why isn't he working somewhere else now? Personally, I'd find a better job. Of course, maybe that was the real reason DJ Hernandez left.

It doesn't sound incredibly far-fetched to think that Kirk has somebody taking the pulse of the fans. I would postulate, however, that the message board community does not actually represent a true cross-section of the fan base, especially those who donate the greatest amount of money to the athletic department. I would also postulate that Kirk has the same belief regarding message board fans. It looks like he's made some changes this off-season, and if some fans want to claim some of the credit, that's fine. Kirk has acknowledged that he knows nobody was happy with how last season ended. I don't expect he'll be saying much more than that in the future.

My question is after our first loss, if in fact we do suffer a first loss, will it be because KF reverted back to his old philosophy of giving fans the finger?

Some of you guys are a riot. The sad part is I think some of you actually believe this stuff.

'How To Get the Intelligent Portion of Your Fan Base On Your Case' by Kirk Ferentz

1) pick favorites and stick to them through thick and thin and come up with myriad platitudes why they play over more talented players
2) mismanage the clock year after year which directly lead to losses
3) don't coach special teams and watch opposing teams beat us on easily correctable mistakes for 3 straight seasons and 8 straight successful fake punts/onside kicks, directly leading to losses.
4) give absurdly meaningless and canned press conferences and combative responses to reporters who ultimately become frustrated covering the head coach.
5) say things like "that's football"
6) state publicly that never trying exotics is smart because of that one anecdotal instance where it didn't work. (yes he said and did this)
7) allow an offensive coordinator to call plays that have absolutely no chance in hell of being successful. 7 yard out on 3rd and 12. 3 yard out on 3rd and 6 that fools no one and rarely, if ever work.

"That's a good start." - Kirk.... probably

'How To Get the Intelligent Portion of Your Fan Base On Your Case' by Kirk Ferentz

1) pick favorites and stick to them through thick and thin and come up with myriad platitudes why they play over more talented players
2) mismanage the clock year after year which directly lead to losses
3) don't coach special teams and watch opposing teams beat us on easily correctable mistakes for 3 straight seasons and 8 straight successful fake punts/onside kicks, directly leading to losses.
4) give absurdly meaningless and canned press conferences and combative responses to reporters who ultimately become frustrated covering the head coach.
5) say things like "that's football"
6) state publicly that never trying exotics is smart because of that one anecdotal instance where it didn't work. (yes he said and did this)
7) allow an offensive coordinator to call plays that have absolutely no chance in hell of being successful. 7 yard out on 3rd and 12. 3 yard out on 3rd and 6 that fools no one and rarely, if ever work.

"That's a good start." - Kirk.... probably
I bet it is tough that we are 4-0 right now isn't it......I hope we run the table so you and you "Intelligent" friends have to come on here and just bring up a bunch of BS.....we all get it you do not like KF.....if we are 5-0 after this week can you just STFU for a week???? That would be fabulous....or do you want to make sure that the rest of us are miserable, pessimistic, douche bags?????

This thread in no way was intended to diss kf. I personally would love to see him stay the duration of his contract if he keeps doing what he's doing. It seems as though he has decided not to be so darn stubborn and realized what he's been lately isn't cutting it. Kudos to him for the change up. I think we all can agree we want the hawks to win and that is what it all boils down to. Everyone is in titled to their opinion of what brought on the "new kirk" but I think we all like what we're seeing.

Last edited:
So what the OP is asking is "Does KF have tenure?" In other words, can he lose 20 games in a row and not be fired. The answer is no.

My question is after our first loss, if in fact we do suffer a first loss, will it be because KF reverted back to his old philosophy of giving fans the finger?

Some of you guys are a riot. The sad part is I think some of you actually believe this stuff.

Midway through the 2nd quarter, Wisky ahead by 3, KF will call the stretch play to Daniels and we will lose 3 yards. KF will look at the camera and hold up his middle finger. He will then start chewing gum again.

Midway through the 2nd quarter, Wisky ahead by 3, KF will call the stretch play to Daniels and we will lose 3 yards. KF will look at the camera and hold up his middle finger. He will then start chewing gum again.

Lol, possible, very possible

One bad game and you'll hear how KF needs to be taken out back and shot. Once they get tired of complaining about that they'll set their sights on the AD. If he's not fired immediately the president must go.

I'm kidding...... But it will be interesting if we lose at Wisconsin.
Oh yes. After the first loss, all the second-guessers and former high school football players who get all their advanced knowledge of the game from the NCAA Football series will be on here to dissect the loss and how it's all going to be a free fall from here and how they knew this would happen.

(Okay, I should give the board a little more credit. There are a small handful of former college football players and high school coaches that post on here so their outside opinions of the inner-workings of the Iowa football program might weigh a bit more.....like maybe a couple 3 lb dumbbells worth of weight.....but it weighs more nonetheless!!!!!!!)

I don't expect Iowa to go undefeated, even with the schedule that everyone (not me, include yourselves if you want...) said was the easiest in the country, at the beginning of the season. So the first loss of the season will bring some interesting (maybe even laughable) conversation to this board, if nothing else.

How could anyone want to fire a coach who just put together a win for the ages against the traditional football power house of North Texas?!?!?!?!?

The Hawks and KF are lucky to have CJB and this schedule.

It's going to be hard not to win 4 big ten games this year.

Beating North Texas, Illinois State, Iowa State (2 time in 5 years) and Pittsburgh at home SHOULDN'T be enough to let KF off the hook for the last 4 years, or his record against ISU.

To be honest with this schedule it wouldn't be that impressive/exciting if they went 4 and 1 over their next 5 games. Split NW/Wisconsin and then beat Illinois (just beat MTSU on a missed last second field goal), Maryland (WVU HA!), and the juggernaut that is Indiana football.

On a side note, if they beat Wisconsin and NW and then lose to Indiana well... then... that will be a funny day. The boards and the call-in show will be can't misses.
Haha, bitter fan is still bitter and can't deal with it.

image.png

I bet it is tough that we are 4-0 right now isn't it....
No, it is not tough at all.

He isn't doing any of the above this season. So far anyways.

Heck, our special teams even kind act like they've been coached some this year. It's great.

As to the rest of your post I'll just take the high road and enjoy my view of the game from my seat at Camp Randall this Saturday.

No, it is not tough at all.

He isn't doing any of the above this season. So far anyways.

Heck, our special teams even kind act like they've been coached some this year. It's great.

As to the rest of your post I'll just take the high road and enjoy my view of the game from my seat at Camp Randall this Saturday.
Have to agree, many of the annoyances and critiques from fans and even his peers, including announcers and such, have been addressed mostly this season.
We can only hope that the improvements don't get swallowed up by old habits.

Going for it when there is a decent amount of time left on the clock. Going for it on 4th down. Unpredictable plays, throwing downfield, fight until the end attitudes, electricity once again resonating in Kinnick, etc, etc.

Fun season so far and the Wiscy game is as important of a game as we have seen in awhile. Oh and alternate uniforms that aren't throwbacks. WTH is going on here?!!

Last edited:
I still want him fired. He can't recruit to safe his life/job. He can't even recruit top offensive lineman anymore, much less D-lineman, LBs, wideouts, or RBs. No thanks. I still like the man though.

I still want him fired. He can't recruit to safe his life/job. He can't even recruit top offensive lineman anymore, much less D-lineman, LBs, wideouts, or RBs. No thanks. I still like the man though.
This is laughable.....especially when our OL have paved way for 300 yards consecutively and our DL LBs and DBS are near top in run defense and interceptions.....crow taste yummy

Just glad the old man finally came to his senses. I dont mind him staying if he continues to play the best talent. His constant playing favorites got old... we all knew jakey was a good qb, but not the best option, just like McCann-Banks, Lawn Dart-stanzi. Same old guys back the old man, and it's good to see loyal F fans. I'm a realist, I see a change in him and it's acceptable. Even if we lost a couple thus far. It's more exciting football...win or loose, that's what I wanna see. Put the best players on the field and do your best job coaching...that's all anyone can ask for.

Just glad the old man finally came to his senses. I dont mind him staying if he continues to play the best talent. His constant playing favorites got old... we all knew jakey was a good qb, but not the best option, just like McCann-Banks, Lawn Dart-stanzi. Same old guys back the old man, and it's good to see loyal F fans. I'm a realist, I see a change in him and it's acceptable. Even if we lost a couple thus far. It's more exciting football...win or loose, that's what I wanna see. Put the best players on the field and do your best job coaching...that's all anyone can ask for.

How do you know he's playing the best talent? Oh, cuz he's playing YOUR favorites. Got it. You kids are hilarious. Unless you are at practice and see how kids 'grade out' in practice week in and week out, you have no idea who the 'best talent' is. They don't get the benefit of 'hindsight'.
Coach Ferentz at practice: "Jake, you missed a wide open guy again!" Jake: "How do you keep so fit, Coach Ferentz sir? and how is the mrs.?" CJB: "Give me a chance coach." Coach Ferentz to CJB: "You need to pay your dues here son, and get a haircut, would ya!" Coach Ferentz to Rudock: "oh Jakey, you know I can't stay mad at you, you're my favorite! Get out there Saturday and give'm heck son!" And that my friends is how the starting QB is chosen at Iowa, LMAO.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
There is no way Jerminic Smith sees fhe field this year if the policy had not changed.

And another Herb Grigsby would start when Tevaun Smith went down

Reactions: 1971hawkeye
What I'm suggesting is that fans on a message board were able to see that change was needed before Iowa's head coach, yes. We've been proven right twice now. First time was JC and Stanzi and now JR and CJB.
This "We've been proven right twice now" is maybe the funniest example of unintentional self-satire since Jack Benny's irritable response to the robber demanding "your money or your life": "Don't hurry me. I'm thinking."
It reminds me of the petulant little girl who stomped her foot just as it stopped raining---so consequently she assumed that she was the Weather Goddess and sports teams were stupid for not consulting her to get sun shine for every big game.

How do you know he's playing the best talent? Oh, cuz he's playing YOUR favorites. Got it. You kids are hilarious. Unless you are at practice and see how kids 'grade out' in practice week in and week out, you have no idea who the 'best talent' is. They don't get the benefit of 'hindsight'.
Coach Ferentz at practice: "Jake, you missed a wide open guy again!" Jake: "How do you keep so fit, Coach Ferentz sir? and how is the mrs.?" CJB: "Give me a chance coach." Coach Ferentz to CJB: "You need to pay your dues here son, and get a haircut, would ya!" Coach Ferentz to Rudock: "oh Jakey, you know I can't stay mad at you, you're my favorite! Get out there Saturday and give'm heck son!" And that my friends is how the starting QB is chosen at Iowa, LMAO.

I think you nailed it because anybody who wasn't blind could see Beathard was the better QB last year.
Iowa never would have smelled 7-0 with Rudock taking the snaps.

Reactions: 1971hawkeye
This "We've been proven right twice now" is maybe the funniest example of unintentional self-satire since Jack Benny's irritable response to the robber demanding "your money or your life": "Don't hurry me. I'm thinking."
It reminds me of the petulant little girl who stomped her foot just as it stopped raining---so consequently she assumed that she was the Weather Goddess and sports teams were stupid for not consulting her to get sun shine for every big game.
Jack Benny quotes...lol Grampa it's time for your nap !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT