ADVERTISEMENT

Florida people, help me out with restaurant recommendations for Clearwater beach

Yeah, when I give people recommendations for Buffalo food, I usually don't even suggest beef on weck. There's like 4 places I know of, and probably another 10 I don't know, that make a good one. But every place in Buffalo HAS one, but they're usually bad. Because nothing about it lends itself to keeping...there's no way to have a beef on weck on standby that ends up being good. So if you aren't a restaurant that sells hundreds a day, it's going to suck.

I normally do consider Charlie the Butcher to be a "if you really want one, it will be of a minimum quality enough to enjoy it" place. Like, if you're back in town and want to get one to say you did, it's fine. That's disappointing if it isn't even that good anymore. I prefer Anderson's, also near the airport in that category though, it's generally just fine. That's where I've gone for years if I didn't make a special trip to Swistons in North Tonawanda.

But basically, a weck roll lasts at most 24 hours, so they need to be getting fresh weck rolls daily, and the beef is only really good if it's been cooked and sliced that morning. Only certain places sell enough to make that practical, but Charlie the Butcher should certainly be one of them. But who knows how any place is cutting corners these days.

I hope that palm harbor one is good. It looks good, at least they're trying.

I normally just whip them up at home with sliced deli roast beef in au jus, and a fake ass weck roll I hack from kaiser rolls. It's fine.

The only two versions of beef on wecks I’ve had are onboard Royal Caribbean at their Park Cafe restaurants on board Oasis class ships and at Glory Days Grill. The three I had on Royal Caribbean were excellent as they make that the star focus of Park Cafe. Have you tried either?

Yeah, when I give people recommendations for Buffalo food, I usually don't even suggest beef on weck. There's like 4 places I know of, and probably another 10 I don't know, that make a good one. But every place in Buffalo HAS one, but they're usually bad. Because nothing about it lends itself to keeping...there's no way to have a beef on weck on standby that ends up being good. So if you aren't a restaurant that sells hundreds a day, it's going to suck.

I normally do consider Charlie the Butcher to be a "if you really want one, it will be of a minimum quality enough to enjoy it" place. Like, if you're back in town and want to get one to say you did, it's fine. That's disappointing if it isn't even that good anymore. I prefer Anderson's, also near the airport in that category though, it's generally just fine. That's where I've gone for years if I didn't make a special trip to Swistons in North Tonawanda.

But basically, a weck roll lasts at most 24 hours, so they need to be getting fresh weck rolls daily, and the beef is only really good if it's been cooked and sliced that morning. Only certain places sell enough to make that practical, but Charlie the Butcher should certainly be one of them. But who knows how any place is cutting corners these days.

I hope that palm harbor one is good. It looks good, at least they're trying.

I normally just whip them up at home with sliced deli roast beef in au jus, and a fake ass weck roll I hack from kaiser rolls. It's fine.

Charlie the Butcher's BoW wasn't terrible. They were slicing the beef to order. I think I thought I would be blown away by the sandwich after hearing so much about it.

This guy went all out for a BoW. He made rolls from scratch

The only two versions of beef on wecks I’ve had are onboard Royal Caribbean at their Park Cafe restaurants on board Oasis class ships and at Glory Days Grill. The three I had on Royal Caribbean were excellent as they make that the star focus of Park Cafe. Have you tried either?

I have not tried the Glory Days Grill, I'll have to check it out when I'm in Tallahassee.

That one on the ship looks excellent. Fresh rolls, freshly slow cooked roast beef, that's the key to be really good. I don't know about the spread, a beef on weck is usually with horseradish, but it looks great. Also, there's usually some au jus involved in a Buffalo beef on weck.

I find the biggest challenge to making it at home is the ability to slice a roast beef really thin. Thats why I usually half ass it with sliced deli meat, but it's not remotely the same, just kind of scratches the itch.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
This guy went all out for a BoW. He made rolls from scratch

That looks pretty great. Rolls need more salt and seeds, but it looks delicious.

See, he's hot a slicer to get the roast beef thin. It really has to be sliced quite thin to not be a bit tough to chew, unless you cook it really well done.

There was a place in New Port Richey - St Angelos - that had a very good BoW. Also had great wings & good pizza; it was started by a family from Buffalo. Used to go there some with a friend who was a huge Bills fan (they hosted Bills watching parties). We were there watching the game when they came back from being down 35-3 against the Oilers in the beiggest comeback in NFL history.
I believe it's changed owners, and some online indications are that they may have closed. Too bad, it was a fun place with good grub.

Reactions: Nole Lou
I have not tried the Glory Days Grill, I'll have to check it out when I'm in Tallahassee.

That one on the ship looks excellent. Fresh rolls, freshly slow cooked roast beef, that's the key to be really good. I don't know about the spread, a beef on weck is usually with horseradish, but it looks great. Also, there's usually some au jus involved in a Buffalo beef on weck.

I find the biggest challenge to making it at home is the ability to slice a roast beef really thin. Thats why I usually half ass it with sliced deli meat, but it's not remotely the same, just kind of scratches the itch.

The Park Cafe on Royal Caribbean also has au jus and prepared horseradish on the side in addition to the mustard spread. My only complaint is that you can’t put the sauces on yourself, you have to tell them what you want. But I know that’s a Covid and food born illness safety issue. If you ever sail on an Oasis class ship or one of the other few RC ships that have a Park Cafe, make sure you also grab their egg salad sandwich. It’s amazingly good on a unique roll that reminds me of a sliced foccaccia but softer while still decently dense. It’s better than even homemade Japanese tamago sandos with Hokkaido Milkbread. Definitely one of my favorite lunch spots on the ship.

Reactions: Nole Lou
11716-3817.jpg

@Nole Lou

The owner said they have 8 locations in Buffalo under this name

You're trying to kill me bruh.

Indeed, I have been to Blasdell Pizza MANY a times, it's probably the biggest local chain on the south suburbs of Buffalo, where my ex is from. In the last 25 years, that's probably been the place I've been to the most when visiting Buffalo. And they definitely know what they are doing there, they are definitely legit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT