ADVERTISEMENT

Floridians - Living in St Pete

bhawk24bob

HB Legend
Jul 8, 2001
Tell me about it, my wife wins and I’m taking a job there. My office will be in St Petersburg, so I will be driving (I just realized you probably think I’m crazy for saying that, i haven’t had to do it since college). Where should we live, the requirements are -

- 2 bedrooms, 2 bath
- On or within a couple blocks of the water
- Walkable restaurants and grocery
- not a trailer like trad

I collect properties and struggle selling them, so this will eventually be a rental. What area do I look in? All I know there is St Pete Beach and Ybor City

It's GIAHORT

giphy.gif

Stay as close to Ferg’s as you can get and not be murdered within a week. That’s the perfect location.

Tell me about it, my wife wins and I’m taking a job there. My office will be in St Petersburg, so I will be driving (I just realized you probably think I’m crazy for saying that, i haven’t had to do it since college). Where should we live, the requirements are -

- 2 bedrooms, 2 bath

I collect properties and struggle selling them, so this will eventually be a rental. What area do I look in? All I know there is St Pete Beach and Ybor City
If you are looking for a house a couple of blocks from the water, I know we’re all millionaires, but bring your checkbook bro.

Reactions: goldmom
If you are looking for a house a couple of blocks from the water, I know we’re all millionaires, but bring your checkbook bro.

It's just my wife and I, a condo or co-op is fine - I assume this is doable under $650k. I don't care if it's the gulf, the intercoastal waterway, or the bay. Preference is given to a building that won't self-destruct

And yes, I know that Florida is a shithole.

Mar
It's just my wife and I, a condo or co-op is fine - I assume this is doable under $650k. I don't care if it's the gulf, the intercoastal waterway, or the bay. Preference is given to a building that won't self-destruct

And yes, I know that Florida is a shithole.
Market has slowed a bit and you should be able to get a condo in a decent location at that price. Don’t get too close to the water or the monthly dues will be a killer.

- 2 bedrooms, 2 bath

Sounds like downtown St. Pete might be a winner for you. Quite a few condos $600-$800k.

I've lived Pass-a-Grille, as well as Coquina Key, both within a block or two of water. I prefer ocean side rather than Bay side, but really enjoyed it all. Definitely a few sketchy areas around St. Pete, so hopefully your budget allows for some flexibility.

Reactions: goldmom

- 2 bedrooms, 2 bath

First off, welcome brother! I have fallen in love with this city and I will never leave. It’s such a wonderful and unique City and area. You can live downtown with countless bars, restaurants, parks, sports, art galleries, breweries, etc. Or, if you wanna live the beach lifestyle check out St Pete Beach or Treasure Island. Seriously, hit me up with any questions you have. Been here since 2017.

Sounds like downtown St. Pete might be a winner for you. Quite a few condos $600-$800k.

I've lived Pass-a-Grille, as well as Coquina Key, both within a block or two of water. I prefer ocean side rather than Bay side, but really enjoyed it all. Definitely a few sketchy areas around St. Pete, so hopefully your budget allows for some flexibility.
Still in the area? And I agree with your preference of ocean side. I’ve lived in T.I., SPB, DTSP, and Old NE. Moving back out to the beach in February. Found a nice townhouse on the water with a dock.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
The entire island will be underwater when the "Tampa Hurricane Bubble" pops.

A 10' storm surge would wash across the entire area from Gulf to Bay....

First off, welcome brother! I have fallen in love with this city and I will never leave. It’s such a wonderful and unique City and area. You can live downtown with countless bars, restaurants, parks, sports, art galleries, breweries, etc. Or, if you wanna live the beach lifestyle check out St Pete Beach or Treasure Island. Seriously, hit me up with any questions you have. Been here since 2017.
Completely OT- if you live near Vinoy Park and haven't been to Reggae Rise Up, go.

The entire island will be underwater when the "Tampa Hurricane Bubble" pops.

A 10' storm surge would wash across the entire area from Gulf to Bay....

And I'll be back in Baltimore or Brooklyn while you're trying to figure out how to make your single-wide float

Still in the area? And I agree with your preference of ocean side. I’ve lived in T.I., SPB, DTSP, and Old NE. Moving back out to the beach in February. Found a nice townhouse on the water with a dock.
I'm assuming bayside or did I read your post wrong? Mind if I ask how much? We are thinking of looking in the STP/Tampa area.

No longer in the area, have nothing but love for the area and definitely miss living there (still visit old friends occasionally) . You've been in some great locations, the move to the townhouse with the water/dock is how I'd do it if I were still around. Well played.

Reactions: SolarHawk
I'm assuming bayside or did I read your post wrong? Mind if I ask how much? We are thinking of looking in the STP/Tampa area.
Bayside is not my preference. When I first moved here I was still doing the bar scene and downtown was where I lived. Loved it. Now I’m happily married and 40. Beach life for us.

edit: Do not move to Tampa, it sucks.

Double edit lol: The waterfront townhouse we’re moving to is $4k/month. 1800sq/ft. Right now in Old NE paying $3k for 1100sq/ft. It’s not cheap here, but we love it. There are plenty of cheaper options in great areas, but if you wanna be in the hot spots it’s gonna cost ya.

Bayside is not my preference. When I first moved here I was still doing the bar scene and downtown was where I lived. Loved it. Now I’m happily married and 40. Beach life for us.

As someone how has an eye on the area down the road, can you give me a synopsis on this? We vacationed at Clearwater beach and loved it. But I’m my mind I can’t distinguish the continuous mass of humanity along the coast from Tampa to Marco island. How does Tampa suck and at. Pete’s does not?

As someone how has an eye on the area down the road, can you give me a synopsis on this? We vacationed at Clearwater beach and loved it. But I’m my mind I can’t distinguish the continuous mass of humanity along the coast from Tampa to Marco island. How does Tampa suck and at. Pete’s does not?

You have to get hyperlocal in the metropolis.

One neighborhood is fine but a mile away your car will be broken into every night.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Double edit lol: The waterfront townhouse we’re moving to is $4k/month. 1800sq/ft. Right now in Old NE paying $3k for 1100sq/ft. It’s not cheap here, but we love it. There are plenty of cheaper options in great areas, but if you wanna be in the hot spots it’s gonna cost ya.

Eh, nothing's cheap anymore.....that doesn't seem bad all things considered

Reactions: SolarHawk
Tampa and St pete are very different. Tampa pretends to be a high class fancy town, where st Pete is just chill AF. I really can’t describe it any better lol. If You like more “big city” feel, Tampa is for you. If you like more small town vibes, it’s st pete. Clearwater beach is super touristy. Treasure Island and St Pete Beach are certainly touristy, but way more relaxed and there are plenty of locals spots. I can tell you this, if you’re thinking about it, do It. My only regret is not making the move sooner. Plus, you’ll get to hang with me at the Iowa game watches at Fergs!

Reactions: Tenacious E
I like fergs just fine, but living within close proximity is not ideal by any means. In fact, I would never want to live anywhere close to there.
Yeah. That’s why I mentioned getting murdered. I think you read it wrong.

The distance from Ferg’s in which you will not be murdered in a week…

Old NE is my favorite, but there are several great areas to live. If I had my druthers, east of 275, and south of 54th. But there’s always the beach side communities if you’re into that.

Tampa is different as they like to pretend they’re more uppercrust etc. St Pete vibe is awesome (and better) imo.

**I can take care of your pest control too!**

Good luck.

Is the $4k rent or or a mortgage? HOA fees?

Tampa and St pete are very different. Tampa pretends to be a high class fancy town, where st Pete is just chill AF. I really can’t describe it any better lol. If You like more “big city” feel, Tampa is for you. If you like more small town vibes, it’s st pete. Clearwater beach is super touristy. Treasure Island and St Pete Beach are certainly touristy, but way more relaxed and there are plenty of locals spots. I can tell you this, if you’re thinking about it, do It. My only regret is not making the move sooner. Plus, you’ll get to hang with me at the Iowa game watches at Fergs!
The possibility is out in the future for work reasons. If we were really going to do something like St. Pete’s, it adds a few working years versus staying put. Maybe more than a few - Iowa is a very cheap place to live.

They are building a ton of condos downtown right now but I'm not sure you can get in many for $650k. You'll be close to a ton of bars/restaurants/festivals/parks/etc. Walkable to the bay water.

If you want to be near the gulf, the stretch from Clearwater Beach down to St. Pete Beach is the place. We are right in the middle at Indian Shores Beach. The stretch from Bellair Beach down to Redington beach is a little quieter. Still plenty to do and plenty of tourists during season. Couldn't be happier with our decision to land here.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
Completely OT- if you live near Vinoy Park and haven't been to Reggae Rise Up, go.
We have our tickets for Thursday-Saturday in March. The only downside is that it's the opening weekend of March Madness. It's tough to check scores on my phone through the smoke from all the stoners.

We have our tickets for Thursday-Saturday in March. The only downside is that it's the opening weekend of March Madness. It's tough to check scores on my phone through the smoke from all the stoners.
Bummed we can't make it this year. Might try rhe Vegas fest in October.

Reactions: seminoledq
They are building a ton of condos downtown right now but I'm not sure you can get in many for $650k. You'll be close to a ton of bars/restaurants/festivals/parks/etc. Walkable to the bay water.

If you want to be near the gulf, the stretch from Clearwater Beach down to St. Pete Beach is the place. We are right in the middle at Indian Shores Beach. The stretch from Bellair Beach down to Redington beach is a little quieter. Still plenty to do and plenty of tourists during season. Couldn't be happier with our decision to land here.

Tell me about the latter - I know St Pete Beach but nothing else along the gulf, I’m guessing I’ll eat at Woody’s at least a half dozen times a month. It looks like my office is going to be just off 275 in St Pete

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT