ADVERTISEMENT

Flyfishermen - what's your favorite perdigon pattern?

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
I've been tying lately and perdigons are easy so I'm tying them. What do you like?
Not that I'll get to use them any time soon as my right shoulder is not in the process of freezing. Left shoulder freezing two years ago cost me a season as it took a year to unfreeze.

I've been tying lately and perdigons are easy so I'm tying them. What do you like?
Not that I'll get to use them any time soon as my right shoulder is not in the process of freezing. Left shoulder freezing two years ago cost me a season as it took a year to unfreeze.
My dad (RIP) had to go to a perdigon frequently as he ended up with bad receding gums. Had to have skin taken from his thigh and applied to his gums at least a couple times. He never fly fished but he did enjoy lake fishing and a couple trips to Canada for fishing.

Reactions: BelemNole
Rainbow warrior perdigons are the only type I've tried and they work fine. But Iowa trout are so stupid they'll eat anything. I run them on my dry dropper setup when I'm not using a CJ, prince, or midge.

I'm basically a former trout fly fisher as I mostly just swing flies for steelhead nowadays, but I would mostly concentrate on size/color and wouldn't worry about the specific pattern. Plenty of olive/tan size 14's and 16's as caddis nymphs, size 16 and 18 in light olive and grey for pmd and bwo nymphs, and then size 12 and 14 in brown for bigger mayfly nymphs. Probably some blackish super small ones (18-22) for midges. Maybe a few bigger ones in brown as stonefly nymphs too

Reactions: BelemNole
Is this another name for a bead head? Or something more specific? I haven’t come across the term before—but I haven’t done much reading about fly fishing in the last 10 years. My favorite bead head is the pink squirrel.

Sucks about the frozen shoulder. Hope it resolves completely and relatively quickly.

Is this another name for a bead head? Or something more specific? I haven’t come across the term before—but I haven’t done much reading about fly fishing in the last 10 years. My favorite bead head is the pink squirrel.

Sucks about the frozen shoulder. Hope it resolves completely and relatively quickly.
No, it's a fly born out of the fishing competitions. It's a tungsten weighted thinly dressed fly used primarily by people chezch nymphing - although it's becoming popular as just a bottom nymph. Usually is coated in a uv cement and tied on a jig style hook.

Warrior-Perdigon__55876_1__57448.1674231791.jpg

Reactions: JMNSHO
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT