ADVERTISEMENT

Football Spring Practice, 4/11 Takeaways

Eliot Clough

HR All-American
Staff
Jan 11, 2023
iowa.rivals.com
Offense
-Deacon Hill getting reps with the ones. We heard Marco Lainez was getting reps with the ones this spring too, but didn't see any of that in the 20 minutes we were given this morning.
-First time seeing Tim Lester in person. Seems to command the guys well. Looks like they have respect for him and are following his direction. Offense moving around through drills more fluidly than under Brian, based on what I saw. Again, small sample size, so take it with a grain of salt.
-Saw Gavin Hoffman for the first time. We may have a dude on our hands.
-Cade has a big brace on his knee. Not super mobile, but more mobile.
-A lot of drops by the wide receivers. Not a ton of incredibly well-thrown balls (other than from Cade), but still. Drops.
-TJ Washington getting quite a few reps with the ones at wide receiver. That may lighten the load on scholarship running backs for the fall. He, Kaden Wetjen and Kaleb Brown were the best looking receivers. Some encouraging things from Dayton Howard and Jarriett Buie though, too. Howard has the physical tools to be a good receiver.

Defense
-Got to see some of those ball skills from John Nestor. Again, may have a dude.
-Defense does what the defense does. They're going to be really, really good again.

Other/Special Teams
-Didn't see it myself, but one of the other writers told me that Rhys Dakin can really boot the ball.
-A few notable guys not in pads - Yahya Black, Logan Jones, Gennings Dunker, Jermari Harris, Seth Anderson.
-Alex Mota had his foot/ankle wrapped and had a scooter. Didn't look good.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News