ADVERTISEMENT

For A Guy Not An Interior Designer......

frydaze

HR Legend
Nov 25, 2001
Anyone have a recommendation of a good place to purchase blinds/shutters for house windows? This is way out of my wheelhouse and looking for any recommendations of who to deal with as I'll have them install after the purchase. Quality/reasonable priced.

I live in Iowa City area.

Thanks in advance.

Lowes has a good selection to order from,... I usually install myself but they might also offer the service.

Reactions: frydaze
Don't go here. Employees not helpful. Wandering around running in to things, nobody knows what looks good and what doesn't.

Appreciate this. Yes, recommendations on places not to go to is as helpful as places to go to.

Reactions: Moral
Anyone have a recommendation of a good place to purchase blinds/shutters for house windows? This is way out of my wheelhouse and looking for any recommendations of who to deal with as I'll have them install after the purchase. Quality/reasonable priced.

Thanks in advance.
Selectblindes.com
Blinds.com

Purchased a whole house worth for our vacation rental recently.

Thanks in advance.
We used AmericanBlinds.com for our house. Installation was fairly easy.

Reactions: frydaze
I used Blinds.com and installed them myself.

In rooms and/or areas you want almost always pitch black and well insulated get the DOUBLE cell (not singular cell) blackout windows in cordless inside Mount with bottom lift. So your bedrooms and tv room go with that

For rooms you want good insulation and the ability to choose between pitch black, fully open and skylit where only some light is coming from the top of the windows to indirectly light the room go with DOUBLE cell inside mount corded (not cordless) with top down/bottom up lifts/light control. This would be for rooms like a main entertainment room that alternates between a family room, sitting room and tv room, your main foyer area, study, dining room, office, library, multiuse rooms like guest bedrooms that are also offices, etc…

And finally for rooms where you never want it pitch black but always want incidental light coming through you just want to block direct light and/or peeping toms looking directly in, go with just a classic two inch wood blind With privacy slats. These are for rooms you always want having some ambient light from outdoors such as the kitchen, bathrooms, personal gyms and sunrooms.

A cool money saving tip is to tape aluminum foil onto your windows. If done right people will think it is silver foil and you will look rich.

A cool money saving tip is to tape aluminum foil onto your windows. If done right people will think it is silver foil and you will look rich.
giphy-3.gif

I will never buy anything but plantation shutters for any house I ever live in. Simple, clean, durable and look good.

Nah, that’s not nearly dark enough for bedrooms and tv theaters. I need it pitch black. Only double cell shades get it completely black.

I went to Lowes last May after I moved in to my new place and had no issues. It is a good idea to not rush and wait for a 40% off sale. They run them frequently. I think my total cost was a little under $3,000 total.

They also currently have a blinds display at Costco. I think they do Graber blinds and there is probably some kind of gift card back with purchase.

When we bought our house, we bought custom simple flat white wood blinds from Blinds to Go that were very reasonable. They aren't super great quality, but you can't tell by looking at them and they are still working fine 7 years later.

https://www.blindstogo.com/en

I truly have appreciated all the suggestions!

For those who have purchased blinds on their own at Menards or Lowes or wherever, do you know of anyone that can do the installing?

If you're going to install yourself, consider JC Penney. Nobody ever buys anything there that's not on sale, and this is the time where you're making a big enough purchase to justify getting their credit card, which usually gets you a pretty good discount, like 15%. Pay it off and cancel it immediately. If you take your time and measure carefully, installation is pretty easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT