ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for a car repair shop in Coralville/North Liberty

menwithouthats

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2006
My car is probably going to need new breaks next time I take it in for maintenance. Needing New tires is not too far down the line as well. Will gladly accept recommendations for a reputable shop in this area that is honest and doesn't overcharge. I'll consider online reviews also but I feel that a place like this forum is where you're gonna get the most honest reviews. Thanks in advance

They are in Iowa City, but I like Overdrive Auto, off Gilbert Ct. Father and son local shop.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Off Campus Automotive ! Coralville. Keith Villhauer
Dodge St Tire Iowa City Brian Sekafetz
Iowa City Tire IC see Andy Miller
The best in the area! Period

Skay automotive, Iowa City, Boyrum Street is my guy. Very professional, he can get tires too...
I assumed that was you pretending you weren't hanging on Whoopi's every word while watching The View in his waiting area.
One of my favorite things is trying to get Brian to smile. It's a well run shop, and he does quality work for the price he says he will. You can tell how good he is by asking at other shops and the dealerships how many of their mechanics he trained. Sucks that he lost Luke a few years ago.
To the OP, Skay's is a really good option for general maintenance.

I love their commercial where Dave basically spits, "Fine", at you as he dares you to use another car repair service.
Do you remember it was Dave's brother Randy who was stabbed to death by an Iowa football player, Dan Treiber if I remember right? They got in a scuffle at I think the Fieldhouse bar and Treiber went out to his car, came back and fatally stabbed Seydel. He got off light ( got 10 years and served 2 1/2) and never played for Iowa...

• Sad
Do you remember it was Dave's brother Randy who was stabbed to death by an Iowa football player, Dan Treiber if I remember right? They got in a scuffle at I think the Fieldhouse bar and Treiber went out to his car, came back and fatally stabbed Seydel. He got off light ( got 10 years and served 2 1/2) and never played for Iowa...
No, I'm not old.

• Haha
I assumed that was you pretending you weren't hanging on Whoopi's every word while watching The View in his waiting area.
One of my favorite things is trying to get Brian to smile. It's a well run shop, and he does quality work for the price he says he will. You can tell how good he is by asking at other shops and the dealerships how many of their mechanics he trained. Sucks that he lost Luke a few years ago.
Of course, I poured the foundation for Skay's. :) At the time it was for the big Irishman, George Drea who was relocating from Gilbert St across from Pleasant Valley. George also owned and ran Hawkeye Waste. After Skay took it over we no longer had an after work watering hole in the shop refrigerator. He and Seydel had a little friendly rivalry, I think it was friendly. I took my truck in there once and it had a Drea sticker on it and Seydel told me, "that drunken Irishmen is no mechanic, he's a garbage man..."

Reactions: lucas80
Of course, I poured the foundation for Skay's. :) At the time it was for the big Irishman, George Drea who was relocating from Gilbert St across from Pleasant Valley. George also owned and ran Hawkeye Waste. After Skay took it over we no longer had an after work watering hole in the shop refrigerator. He and Seydel had a little friendly rivalry, I think it was friendly. I took my truck in there once and it had a Drea sticker on it and Seydel told me, "that drunken Irishmen is no mechanic, he's a garbage man..."
I remember Drea's. So, I am that old. I also remember my mom warning me to get any repairs done at Drea's before he noon, otherwise the Old Style took over.

When you die, your mausoleum better have more concrete than the Iowa state campus.

I went to law school with a concrete magnate, Adam Manatt 😉

• Haha
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Wasn't he from Brooklyn, Iowa? I think he donated big money to restore the old Opera House there. I had a few acquaintances who worked on Manatt's road crew. Yeah they were definitely magnates...
Yes, Brooklyn. I think he's had some trouble getting sauced up and driving 😉

Thanks for going easy on me over the whole breaks/brakes snafu. I appreciate the recommendations. Back when I lived closer to there, I usually took my car to Dodge Street tire and auto and had good experiences there. But now I might give All Seasons a go cause that location would be more convenient.

Dodge Street is awesome. Brian is very honest and a great guy. He was a huge help with my kids' used cars when they were there. he once spent most of a day trying to figure out an electrical issue, he took it on as like a personal challenge. He ruled out everything he could do and wouldn't charge me anything.

Reactions: Speedway1
Brian does run a great shop. That said he is very serious and a tough guy to talk to if you are selling to him. Also Techs at these shop re on a merry go round. They continually jump from one shop to the other. Techs are badly needed all across the country. Many of the best end up at the dealerships because of the bennys and pay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT