Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Henry Blake dying

Votes: 47 70.1%
  • COL Potter saying goodbye

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • BJ saying goodbye to Hawkeye when he was in Helicopter

Votes: 12 17.9%

• Total voters
Yeah that one was the most powerful. Also the one with Charles where he sticks up for the guy with a stutter and it is revealed his sister back home sends him recordings of her on records and he plays her message and she is stuttering. I went with Blake for the options presented.

The chicken story was too much to put in this poll

Reactions: Tenacious E
Not sure. I always go to t,he old dvds if I feel like watching it

I'll find a way to hook you if you can't find a service. Has to be cheaper than dvds, Wife tells me to quit watching MASH when I'm going to sleep, Sorry, it is relaxing to me hearing the intro

Interesting. I wonder if that is available on Hulu.
I just read when it was on Netflix there was no option to turn off the laugh track. Not sure about the current Hulu.

This show is a reminder to much simpler times when families weren't running in 10 different directions every day, would watch quality TV together and the children were the remote controls.

Radar going home was a close second, being a little kid from Iowa, I thought it was so cool hearing Radar mentioning Iowa on TV. However, Henry Blake's plane going down announcement I still can vividly recall in my mind 40 some odd years later.

In the days before the internet and knowing everything about everything before it even occurred in the entertainment industry, that was a hell of a shock to a little kid who really loved that cast version of the show.

The announcement of Henry's death was powerful,

BJ refusing to say goodbye and then putting the rocks out saying goodbye.....and then knowing it was the end was tough

The announcement of Henry's death was powerful,

BJ refusing to say goodbye and then putting the rocks out saying goodbye.....and then knowing it was the end was tough
It was sad, but they could hook back up in the states after the war. Not as sad Henry dying, imho.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
It was sad, but they could hook back up in the states after the war. Not as sad Henry dying, imho.

But they weren't going to. Hawkeye was going back Crabapple Cove and was going to struggle with PTSD. BJ was going to hang out in his San Francisco suburb. Frank Burns ended up in a mental institution.....Klinger died of AIDs

....shit, I think we are writing a movie here....

Last edited:
Colonel Blake death is the correct answer. It killed his career. What a bonehead move to leave the show.

No disrespect to Herry Morgan but Potter was far less of a character than Blake. Stevenson was so good in the role.

You can definitely say the same for Larry Linville and Wayne Rogers. None of the replacements were as good as the original cast.

Reactions: stillh8unlv
Colonel Blake death is the correct answer. It killed his career. What a bonehead move to leave the show.

No disrespect to Herry Morgan but Potter was far less of a character than Blake. Stevenson was so good in the role.

You can definitely say the same for Larry Linville and Wayne Rogers. None of the replacements were as good as the original cast.

I had to do some research back in the day about Stevenson. I mean...wtf was he thinking.

Harry Morgan was always a grandpa figure when I first started watching the show. I thought he did outstanding.

Frank's character had run it's time out

Larry Linville had taken that character as far is it could go but Winchester was a terrible character.

What's interesting about MASH is that some shows take a season or two to really get going. Seinfeld is a great example. But I think the first 4 seasons of MASH were the top seasons. They really hit the ground running but started the decline after that. When I watch reruns, I tend to go to episodes with Blake, Trapper and Burns. Great characters and solid comedic writing.

Hawkeye: War isn’t Hell. War is war, and Hell is Hell. And of the two, war is a lot worse.

Father Mulcahy: How do you figure that, Hawkeye?

Hawkeye: Easy, Father. Tell me, who goes to Hell?

Father Mulcahy: Sinners, I believe.

Hawkeye: Exactly. There are no innocent bystanders in Hell. War is chock full of them — little kids, cripples, old ladies. In fact, except for some of the brass, almost everybody involved is an innocent bystander.

I tend to view the Henry Blake years, then the first two Col. Potter years (call those 5 years the Frank Burns years?) as the show's sweet spot.

It wasn't that the show was bad after those 1st 5 years...just wasn't as good I'll call it. Yet I do believe, for me anyway - the 1st 5 years of that show is as good a TV show as I've ever seen.

I chose the Henry Blake scene from the list, but the one scene I believe I loved most was Sidney Friedman in the OR (paraphrasing) "take my advice, everybody...pull your pants down and slide across the ice". I just think that sort of encapsulated the entire show's theme in one line for me. Yes, a comedy - but a comedy that had a message attached to it too.

I tend to view the Henry Blake years, then the first two Col. Potter years (call those 5 years the Frank Burns years?) as the show's sweet spot.

It wasn't that the show was bad after those 1st 5 years...just wasn't as good I'll call it. Yet I do believe, for me anyway - the 1st 5 years of that show is as good a TV show as I've ever seen.

I chose the Henry Blake scene from the list, but the one scene I believe I loved most was Sidney Friedman in the OR (paraphrasing) "take my advice, everybody...pull your pants down and slide across the ice". I just think that sort of encapsulated the entire show's theme in one line for me. Yes, a comedy - but a comedy that had a message attached to it too.
The later years really stripped the cast down to just the stars and a few supporting bits. Early on it was a huge cast and the camp always looked full. At the end it was a few old people living in tents.

Does anyone remember the movie? Maybe the best TV series adapted from a movie ever?

And, the only actor that was in the movie and then the series was ... Gary Burghoff (Radar).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT