ADVERTISEMENT

For those wondering about Wyatt Wriedt

I was very impressed by his finals match. I love to see local kids get a shot at a D1 program, even if it's out of state. Best of luck to him.

Agreed. ^^ Even had he lost the match to Andersen, it was evident to me that he was "right there" with a very, very good opponent. It was not a fluke win IMO. Congratulations and good luck to the youngster!

Reactions: pinters
Agree with all above. Seems like a great kid and unfortunately just not a need weight for Iowa when they already have to nationally ranked wrestlers at heavy.

Agree with all above. Seems like a great kid and unfortunately just not a need weight for Iowa when they already have to nationally ranked wrestlers at heavy.

Not sure I would go that far. This kid is only a junior in high school so he's several years behind Stoll. There's Bradley in between...who isn't even in school yet and even when he shows up there's nothing beyond him in the room at HWT.

It is interesting that he was beaten three times by Lombardi this year including stuck twice. Did he go on a hot streak at state or is he emerging? Only time will tell.

Not sure I would go that far. This kid is only a junior in high school so he's several years behind Stoll. There's Bradley in between...who isn't even in school yet and even when he shows up there's nothing beyond him in the room at HWT.

It is interesting that he was beaten three times by Lombardi this year including stuck twice. Did he go on a hot streak at state or is he emerging? Only time will tell.

Yes I was taking the optimistic approach that Bradley would make it to the room and there would only be one year between Bradley and Wyatt. I guess given Brands history I didn't think it was likely that Iowa would have three nationally ranked heavyweights in the room at one time.

Reactions: pinters
If he is in State, it would be cheaper for him to get 1/5 of scholly from Iowa, than a half ride at Nebby. Why wouldn't we be all over him? Depth is one of our problems. I remember Brands talking about recruiting Nate S and saying he 1st contacted him like late summer or later his senior year. I also remember someone on here saying a coach from a big time Florida program stated that Cael had been contacting he and his wrestlers when the guys were freshmen and sophs. He said they never heard from Iowa until the guys were seniors. Maybe we need a administrative recruiting coordinator for wrestling.

Nate commited b4 his sr year. Around his HS state tourney the Kemt State coach and he clicked. As far as Florida no idea

If he is in State, it would be cheaper for him to get 1/5 of scholly from Iowa, than a half ride at Nebby. Why wouldn't we be all over him? Depth is one of our problems. I remember Brands talking about recruiting Nate S and saying he 1st contacted him like late summer or later his senior year. I also remember someone on here saying a coach from a big time Florida program stated that Cael had been contacting he and his wrestlers when the guys were freshmen and sophs. He said they never heard from Iowa until the guys were seniors. Maybe we need a administrative recruiting coordinator for wrestling.
Pretty sure it is against NCAA's rules to contact a kid til he is a junior. Wouldn't surprise me if Cael bends that rule or any other coach. I do believe kids and there family can contact the school themselves at anytime in there high school or even middle school careers. Camps are also a good way to talk with potential recruits before the allowed time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT