ADVERTISEMENT

Ford rethinking EV strategy

Teslas are one of the safest vehicles on the road. They rarely if ever roll over.

Every 1000 pounds of vehicle weight increases the likelihood of a death in an accident by 47%.

It’s why traffic deaths are trending up in the United States. The NHTSA has studied this exhaustively with regard to passengers and pedestrians.

Last edited:
The Limited Highlander is closer to the Model X than the Model Y.

You selected a seven seat trim, in a longer vehicle with more interior space, and a greater towing capacity and compared it to a five seat trim version of the smaller Tesla.

Tesla Model Y comes in 7 seat configuration. They are both mid size crossover SUVs.

“The Highlander has plenty to offer, but in a brutally competitive mid-size SUVsegment of more than two dozen vehicles, it's only a mid-pack player.”

“Model Y is a fully electric, mid-size SUV with unparalleled protection and versatile cargo space.“

The Limited Highlander is closer to the Model X than the Model Y.

You selected a seven seat trim, in a longer vehicle with more interior space, and a greater towing capacity and compared it to a five seat trim version of the smaller Tesla.

The Model X is a full sized SUV. For an appropriate comparison you woild have to compare to Toyota Sequoia. Source: Toyota.

Sequoia 6,150 lbs.
Model X 5,148 lbs.

Last edited:
Sure, if you ignore the size of the vehicles.

Model X is 600lbs more than the comparable Grand Highlander.

Maybe you are right. I dont want to argue, i guess my point is they are heavier but not outrageously so. As battery density increases and fewer cells are needed, weight will come down.

Every 1000 pounds of vehicle weight increases the likelihood of a death in an accident by 47%.

It’s why traffic deaths are trending up in the United States. The NHTSA has studied this exhaustively with regard to passengers and pedestrians.

Surely you are very concerned about the millions of truck drivers who buy them for vanity and never haul anything then, right?

Surely you are very concerned about the millions of truck drivers who buy them for vanity and never haul anything then, right?
Yes, the size and weight of trucks and SUVs is a serious problem. At a minimum there should be a tax to accommodate the reduced infrastructure cycle.

The Model X is a full sized SUV. For an appropriate comparison you woild have to compare to Toyota Sequoia. Source: Toyota.

Sequoia 6,150 lbs.
Model X 5,148 lbs.
The Grand Highlander is bigger than the Model X with the same towing capacity. The Sequoia is a body on frame hybrid that is almost a foot longer than the Model X and can tow 4000lbs more.

Sequoia 6,150 lbs.
Model X 5,148 lbs.
A model X and a Sequoia is an “appropriate” comparison? 😂

Reactions: mnole03
I'm fine kicking this back to 1970 and having nothing with a chip in it in my car
I hear you but at the same time, my starter, piston, gasket, fuel pump, water pump, thermostat, etc will never go out on my car

Death for who?

O5ziQAg.gif

Reactions: mnole03
Our next car will likely be a hybrid although I'm seriously tempted by the model S. I think the EV industry is close but it's just not quite there yet for the reasons people have already listed. Range anxiety, infrastructure, recharge times, battery capacity etc...

I'm also excited to see the ongoing investments in alternatives like hydrogen/fuel cells. Even if some of these turn out to be dead ends, innovation often comes from exploring potentially bad ideas.

Reactions: Finance85
How did it start and drive in the middle of January when the high temperature didn’t get above single digits?

It still has a tarp on it…..

Though I’m sure that it still functioned in that temp. The world didn’t stop for winter every year until the microchip was invented

No the world didn’t stop for winter because of no microchip, but was alot more difficult. Why are you not daily driving a 1970 or earlier car right now there are plenty of them out there to drive?

I've put <800 miles on my "daily driver" since it was purchased last March

I have enjoyed my plug in hybrid but next year when I get a new SUV I will move down to the regular hybrid. The extra cost for the plug in is about 8k over the hybrid. I’m getting 60mpg right now but the tank is only 10 gallons. My battery has the 31 mile range

The hybrid gets 39 but has a 14 gallon tank.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT