ADVERTISEMENT

Former baseball star Steve Garvey running for California U.S. Senate seat

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Former Major League Baseball player Steve Garvey announced Tuesday he is running for U.S. Senate in 2024 to fill the seat formerly held by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif), who died earlier this month.
Garvey, a Republican, has no political background and faces long odds in a state where Joe Biden defeated Donald Trump by nearly 30 points in the 2020 presidential election. But the former baseball star, who played for the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego Padres, is hoping his name recognition will give him a boost.

Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

“I played in front of millions of fans. I never played for Democrats or Republicans or independents — I played for all of you,” Garvey said in his campaign launch video that featured several images from his baseball career. “Now I’m running for U.S. Senate in California, a state that I believe at one time was the heartbeat of America and now is just a murmur.”

Already there is a large field of Democratic candidates hoping to succeed Feinstein, including Reps. Katie Porter, Barbara Lee and Adam B. Schiff.
After Feinstein died, California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) appointed Laphonza Butler to fill Feinstein’s seat for the rest of her term, keeping his promise to pick a Black woman in case of an early vacancy. Butler was sworn in last week as just the third Black female senator in history.
Republicans have not won a Senate race in California in 35 years. However, Garvey could benefit from California’s nonpartisan primary, in which all candidates are listed on the same primary ballot, regardless of party, and the top two finishers advance to the general election.
In a statement, Garvey said his campaign would be “focused on quality-of-life issues, public safety and education.”

Former Major League Baseball player Steve Garvey announced Tuesday he is running for U.S. Senate in 2024 to fill the seat formerly held by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif), who died earlier this month.
Garvey, a Republican, has no political background and faces long odds in a state where Joe Biden defeated Donald Trump by nearly 30 points in the 2020 presidential election. But the former baseball star, who played for the Los Angeles Dodgers and the San Diego Padres, is hoping his name recognition will give him a boost.

Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

“I played in front of millions of fans. I never played for Democrats or Republicans or independents — I played for all of you,” Garvey said in his campaign launch video that featured several images from his baseball career. “Now I’m running for U.S. Senate in California, a state that I believe at one time was the heartbeat of America and now is just a murmur.”

Already there is a large field of Democratic candidates hoping to succeed Feinstein, including Reps. Katie Porter, Barbara Lee and Adam B. Schiff.
After Feinstein died, California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) appointed Laphonza Butler to fill Feinstein’s seat for the rest of her term, keeping his promise to pick a Black woman in case of an early vacancy. Butler was sworn in last week as just the third Black female senator in history.
Republicans have not won a Senate race in California in 35 years. However, Garvey could benefit from California’s nonpartisan primary, in which all candidates are listed on the same primary ballot, regardless of party, and the top two finishers advance to the general election.
In a statement, Garvey said his campaign would be “focused on quality-of-life issues, public safety and education.”

If elected, I hope he doesn't turn into another Jim Bunning.

160204-yamato-harvey-tease2_b0a5ox

Steve Garvey is 74 years old. To run for a 6 year U.S. Senate
seat is perhaps a little late in the game. He won a World Series
title with the L.A. Dodgers in 1981. How many fans still are in
awe of that accomplishment? He should not run and just enjoy
his retirement.

Garvey wasn't particularly well liked when he was playing.

Either way, funny to think that it was actually a big deal that the Dodgers of that time had four players with 20 hr's (Garvey, Cey, Baker, Smith).

Reactions: cigaretteman

When I was a kid, I wrote him a letter and told him that I broke my arm during baseball tryouts and couldn't play the season. He wrote me a letter back with a signed picture that said "Get Well Soon GES4!" So I kind of like the guy.

Reactions: EasyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT