ADVERTISEMENT

Former Fox News editor: network is DEEPLY afraid of its own audience

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
Interesting comments.

“I did not understand how deeply afraid so many people where I worked were of their own audience,” said Stirewalt, who is now NewsNation’s political editor. “And that is really what you get to see as this stuff comes out, which is afraid of their own audience and afraid to level with them and tell them how things are, and deal with it.”

Evidence in Dominion Voting Systems’ $1.6-billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News shows network executives and star personalities fretted that the Arizona call would cause conservative viewers to defect to other media. The court records also show that host Tucker Carlson privately bashed Trump while he and other network stars promoted 2020 election lies.

Despite the letdown of Trump’s defeat, Fox News wanted to keep its “sugar high” ratings going, Stirewalt said.

“So I watched Fox trade a short-term problem, which would be the decline in ratings after a presidential election, which is what happens, that’s just the business ... for this long-term problem that they’re still dealing with,” Stirewalt said.

Many people believe that Fox is going to lose the Dominion suit, and that Fox would be better off settling. The problem for Fox is that in a settlement Dominion would demand that Fox admit on their own programming that they lied. Fox cannot admit to this, for fear of losing the rubes. So, they are willing to gamble that they won't lose.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Many people believe that Fox is going to lose the Dominion suit, and that Fox would be better off settling. The problem for Fox is that in a settlement Dominion would demand that Fox admit on their own programming that they lied. Fox cannot admit to this, for fear of losing the rubes. So, they are willing to gamble that they won't lose.

After all this comes out, I am not sure how Tucker faces Maga nation

Look what they did to their own country that day at the Capitol. They'll tear Fox News limb from limb if they don't follow the narrative. There is a reason that even further hyperbole networks like OAN and NewMax have a seat at the table now

Look what they did to their own country that day at the Capitol. They'll tear Fox News limb from limb if they don't follow the narrative. There is a reason that even further hyperbole networks like OAN and NewMax have a seat at the table now
Look what they did on election night when the statistician called Arizona for Biden. The guy literally went on air and articulately explained his math, which was correct.

Trump started attacking Fox, and the network immediately caved, firing the guy and his team.

I do not think Dominion is done, once they win/settle with Fox. I think they take that $1.6B and then go after the individuals who did this - because they have the emails which show those individuals also defamed Dominion.

They're just going after the big bank account, first.

America has a problem when TV news anchors are afraid
to tell their audience the TRUTH. Biden won Arizona that
was a fact. Biden won the 2020 election and Trump lost.
It is wrong to hide the truth.

Bottom Line: Fox News is going to be disgraced when they
lose this lawsuit by Dominion.

But, Fox controls the messaging to tens of millions of people, who only get their news from Fox. Fox is already disgraced to normal people. The people who only watch Fox won't know about losing the Dominion suit. It will be spun as a great victory somehow by Fox.

I do not think Dominion is done, once they win/settle with Fox. I think they take that $1.6B and then go after the individuals who did this - because they have the emails which show those individuals also defamed Dominion.

Baby Babies GIF

Hopefully Mike Lindell gets sued, as well.

This is like watching NASCAR and waiting for the next big wreck.

Reactions: Joes Place

Fox News is news in name only. They've admitted as much in a court of law. They provide opinion and entertainment and the rubes eat it up as fact.

Fox News is news in name only. They've admitted as much in a court of law. They provide opinion and entertainment and the rubes eat it up as fact.
Truer words were never spoken.

Unfortunately, my wife is a dedicated Fox viewer. We have some hellacious arguments regarding politics. Not MAGA crazy, just doesn't like Hillary and Biden.

Most didn't like Hillary, that's why the Dems handed the presidency to Trump in 2016..." no choice "...
What's humorous about those that didn't like Hillary and criticize Biden...if people had voted for HRC, Biden would never have been elected.

And think of all those lawyers that would be unemployed if 45 had lost in 2016.

Reactions: nelly02
Their audience will never grasp that people like Tucker and Hannity wouldn't cross the street to piss on them if they were on fire (just like Trump). They are elitist pricks playing a game.

The Ugly Elitism of the American Right​

No one hates ordinary people like the Republicans and their media enablers do.
By Tom Nichols

MARCH 9, 2023, 6:33 PM ET

Fox News will likely never face any real consequences for the biggest scandal in the history of American media. But will Republican voters finally understand who really looks down on them?
Loathing and Indifference

It’s time to talk about elitism.

Last month, I wrote that the revelations about Fox News in the Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit showed that Fox personalities, for all their populist bloviation, are actually titanic elitists. This is not the elitism of those who think they are smarter or more capable than others—I’ll get to that in a moment—but a new and gruesome elitism of the American right, a kind of hatred and disgust on the part of right-wing media and political leaders for the people they claim to love and defend. Greed and cynicism and moral poverty can explain only so much of what we’ve learned about Fox; what the Dominion filings show is a staggering, dehumanizing version of elitism among people who have made a living by presenting themselves as the only truth-tellers who can be trusted by ordinary Americans.

I am, to say the least, no stranger to the charge of elitism. When I wrote a book in 2018 titled The Death of Expertise, a study of how people have become so narcissistic and so addled by cable and the internet that they believe themselves to be smarter than doctors and diplomats, I was regularly tagged as an “elitist.” And the truth is: I am an elitist, insofar as I believe that some people are better at things than others.

But even beyond talent and ability, I do in fact firmly believe that some opinions, political views, personal actions, and life choices are better than others. As I wrote in my book at the time:

Americans now believe that having equal rights in a political system also means that each person’s opinion about anything must be accepted as equal to anyone else’s. This is the credo of a fair number of people despite being obvious nonsense. It is a flat assertion of actual equality that is always illogical, sometimes funny, and often dangerous.

If that makes me an elitist, so be it.

In this, elitism is the opposite of populism, whose adherents believe that virtue and competence reside in the common wisdom of a nebulous coalition called “the people.” This pernicious and romantic myth is often a danger to liberal democracies and constitutional orders that are founded, first and foremost, on the inherent rights of individuals rather than whatever raw majorities think is right at any given time.

The American right, however, now uses elitist to mean “people who think they’re better than me because they live and work and play differently than I do.” They rage that people—myself included—look down upon them. And again, truth be told, I do look down on Trump voters, not because I am an elitist but because I am an American citizen and I believe that they, as my fellow citizens, have made political choices that have inflicted the greatest harm on our system of government since the Civil War. I refuse to treat their views as just part of the normal left-right axis of American politics.

(As an aside, note that the insecure whining about being “looked down upon” is wildly asymmetrical: Trump voters have no trouble looking down on their opponents as traitors, perverts, and, as Donald Trump himself once put it, “human scum.” But they react to criticism with a kind of deep hurt, as if others must accommodate their emotional well-being. Many of these same people gleefully adopted “**** your feelings” as a rallying cry but never expected that it was a slogan that worked both ways.)

In 2016, I believed that good people were making a mistake. In 2023, I cannot dismiss their choices as mere mistakes. Instead, I accept and respect the human agency that has led Trump supporters to their current choices. Indeed, I insist on recognizing that agency: I have never agreed with the people who dismiss Trump voters as robotic simpletons who were mesmerized by Russian memes. I believe that today’s Trump supporters are people who are making a conscious, knowing, and morally flawed choice to continue supporting a sociopath and a party chock-full of seditionists.

I have argued with some of these people. Sometimes, I have mocked them. Mostly, I have refused to engage them. But whatever my feelings are about the abominable choices of Trump supporters, here is the one thing I have never done that Fox’s hosts did for years: I have never patronized any of the people I disagree with.

Unlike people such as Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity or Laura Ingraham, I have never told anyone—including you, readers of The Atlantic—anything I don’t believe. What we’re seeing at Fox, however, is lying on a grand scale, done with a snide loathing for the audience and a cool indifference to the damage being done to the nation. Fox, and the Republican Party it serves, for years has relentlessly patronized its audience, cooing to viewers about how right they are not to trust anyone else, banging the desk about the corruption of American institutions, and shouting into the camera about how the liars and betrayers must pay.

Fox’s stars did all of this while privately communicating with one another and rolling their eyes with contempt, admitting without a shred of shame that they were lying through their teeth. From Rupert Murdoch on down, top Fox personalities have admitted that they fed the rubes all of this red, rotting meat to keep them out of the way of the Fox limos headed to Long Island and Connecticut.

You can see this same kind of contemptuous elitism in Republicans such as Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, and Elise Stefanik. They couldn’t care less about the voters—those hoopleheads back home who have to be placated with idiotic speeches against trans people and “critical race theory.” These politicians were bred to be leaders, you see, and having to gouge some votes out of the hayseeds back home requires a bit of performance art now and then, a small price to pay so that the sons and daughters of Harvard and Yale, Princeton and Stanford, can live in the imperial capital and rule as is their due and their right.

Some years ago, I was at a meeting of one of the committees of the National Academy of Sciences. The conferees asked me how scientists—there were Nobel laureates in the room—could defend the cause of knowledge. Stand your ground, I told them. Never hesitate to tell people they’re wrong. One panel member shook his head: “Tom, people don’t like to be condescended to.” I said, “I agree, but what they hate even more is to be patronized.

I believed it then, but we’re now testing that hypothesis on a national scale. I hope I wasn’t wrong.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
What's humorous about those that didn't like Hillary and criticize Biden...if people had voted for HRC, Biden would never have been elected.

And think of all those lawyers that would be unemployed if 45 had lost in 2016.
...or if Biden had been the nominee in '16 he'd be serving out his second term. You notice I have never criticized Biden. Like '16 " I had no choice "...

This is going to be a really good case study for the "F**k around and find out" theory of cause and consequence.

Truer words were never spoken.

Unfortunately, my wife is a dedicated Fox viewer. We have some hellacious arguments regarding politics. Not MAGA crazy, just doesn't like Hillary and Biden.
Sounds like your wife is an idiot. How fun for you!

• Haha
Reactions: torbee
Interesting comments.

“I did not understand how deeply afraid so many people where I worked were of their own audience,” said Stirewalt, who is now NewsNation’s political editor. “And that is really what you get to see as this stuff comes out, which is afraid of their own audience and afraid to level with them and tell them how things are, and deal with it.”

Evidence in Dominion Voting Systems’ $1.6-billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News shows network executives and star personalities fretted that the Arizona call would cause conservative viewers to defect to other media. The court records also show that host Tucker Carlson privately bashed Trump while he and other network stars promoted 2020 election lies.

Despite the letdown of Trump’s defeat, Fox News wanted to keep its “sugar high” ratings going, Stirewalt said.

“So I watched Fox trade a short-term problem, which would be the decline in ratings after a presidential election, which is what happens, that’s just the business ... for this long-term problem that they’re still dealing with,” Stirewalt said.
Hopefully, these meathead election deniers will finally come to grips with the truth. But they still probably won’t…

Huffington Post is a joke site

Fox evening shows are all opinion shows that are not worth watching, just like MSNBC and CNN

The Ugly Elitism of the American Right​

No one hates ordinary people like the Republicans and their media enablers do.
By Tom Nichols

MARCH 9, 2023, 6:33 PM ET

Fox News will likely never face any real consequences for the biggest scandal in the history of American media. But will Republican voters finally understand who really looks down on them?
Loathing and Indifference

It’s time to talk about elitism.

Last month, I wrote that the revelations about Fox News in the Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit showed that Fox personalities, for all their populist bloviation, are actually titanic elitists. This is not the elitism of those who think they are smarter or more capable than others—I’ll get to that in a moment—but a new and gruesome elitism of the American right, a kind of hatred and disgust on the part of right-wing media and political leaders for the people they claim to love and defend. Greed and cynicism and moral poverty can explain only so much of what we’ve learned about Fox; what the Dominion filings show is a staggering, dehumanizing version of elitism among people who have made a living by presenting themselves as the only truth-tellers who can be trusted by ordinary Americans.

I am, to say the least, no stranger to the charge of elitism. When I wrote a book in 2018 titled The Death of Expertise, a study of how people have become so narcissistic and so addled by cable and the internet that they believe themselves to be smarter than doctors and diplomats, I was regularly tagged as an “elitist.” And the truth is: I am an elitist, insofar as I believe that some people are better at things than others.

But even beyond talent and ability, I do in fact firmly believe that some opinions, political views, personal actions, and life choices are better than others. As I wrote in my book at the time:

If that makes me an elitist, so be it.

In this, elitism is the opposite of populism, whose adherents believe that virtue and competence reside in the common wisdom of a nebulous coalition called “the people.” This pernicious and romantic myth is often a danger to liberal democracies and constitutional orders that are founded, first and foremost, on the inherent rights of individuals rather than whatever raw majorities think is right at any given time.

The American right, however, now uses elitist to mean “people who think they’re better than me because they live and work and play differently than I do.” They rage that people—myself included—look down upon them. And again, truth be told, I do look down on Trump voters, not because I am an elitist but because I am an American citizen and I believe that they, as my fellow citizens, have made political choices that have inflicted the greatest harm on our system of government since the Civil War. I refuse to treat their views as just part of the normal left-right axis of American politics.

(As an aside, note that the insecure whining about being “looked down upon” is wildly asymmetrical: Trump voters have no trouble looking down on their opponents as traitors, perverts, and, as Donald Trump himself once put it, “human scum.” But they react to criticism with a kind of deep hurt, as if others must accommodate their emotional well-being. Many of these same people gleefully adopted “**** your feelings” as a rallying cry but never expected that it was a slogan that worked both ways.)

In 2016, I believed that good people were making a mistake. In 2023, I cannot dismiss their choices as mere mistakes. Instead, I accept and respect the human agency that has led Trump supporters to their current choices. Indeed, I insist on recognizing that agency: I have never agreed with the people who dismiss Trump voters as robotic simpletons who were mesmerized by Russian memes. I believe that today’s Trump supporters are people who are making a conscious, knowing, and morally flawed choice to continue supporting a sociopath and a party chock-full of seditionists.

I have argued with some of these people. Sometimes, I have mocked them. Mostly, I have refused to engage them. But whatever my feelings are about the abominable choices of Trump supporters, here is the one thing I have never done that Fox’s hosts did for years: I have never patronized any of the people I disagree with.

Unlike people such as Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity or Laura Ingraham, I have never told anyone—including you, readers of The Atlantic—anything I don’t believe. What we’re seeing at Fox, however, is lying on a grand scale, done with a snide loathing for the audience and a cool indifference to the damage being done to the nation. Fox, and the Republican Party it serves, for years has relentlessly patronized its audience, cooing to viewers about how right they are not to trust anyone else, banging the desk about the corruption of American institutions, and shouting into the camera about how the liars and betrayers must pay.

Fox’s stars did all of this while privately communicating with one another and rolling their eyes with contempt, admitting without a shred of shame that they were lying through their teeth. From Rupert Murdoch on down, top Fox personalities have admitted that they fed the rubes all of this red, rotting meat to keep them out of the way of the Fox limos headed to Long Island and Connecticut.

You can see this same kind of contemptuous elitism in Republicans such as Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, and Elise Stefanik. They couldn’t care less about the voters—those hoopleheads back home who have to be placated with idiotic speeches against trans people and “critical race theory.” These politicians were bred to be leaders, you see, and having to gouge some votes out of the hayseeds back home requires a bit of performance art now and then, a small price to pay so that the sons and daughters of Harvard and Yale, Princeton and Stanford, can live in the imperial capital and rule as is their due and their right.

Some years ago, I was at a meeting of one of the committees of the National Academy of Sciences. The conferees asked me how scientists—there were Nobel laureates in the room—could defend the cause of knowledge. Stand your ground, I told them. Never hesitate to tell people they’re wrong. One panel member shook his head: “Tom, people don’t like to be condescended to.” I said, “I agree, but what they hate even more is to be patronized.

I believed it then, but we’re now testing that hypothesis on a national scale. I hope I wasn’t wrong.

I can already imagine the triggered rant from hawkedoff over this one, without addressing any of the substance of course.

All of Fox news is scared to death of trump. All of the republican senators are scared to death of trump. All of the republican congressmen are scared to death of trump. It would have been so easy on either impeachment trial of trump for the republican senators to vote to convict trump and eliminate him forever. Maybe.

Reactions: nelly02
In addition to the $1.6 billion, there could be more punitive damages as well, and those could bankrupt Fox.

Reactions: Joes Place
In addition to the $1.6 billion, there could be more punitive damages as well, and those could bankrupt Fox.

....and continuing to allow their "talking heads" to espouse conspiracy theories that defame Dominion....months AFTER their own personal emails demonstrated they KNEW those claims were total BS, isn't going to work in their favor in a jury trial....

Ant Tucker is putting out misleading material from January 6th, which is more lies. That's really helping their cause.

Which was incited by those same "Dominion Helped Biden Steal The Election" claims...

You create the monster, find you can only feed it despite it getting out of control, then complain you're scared of the monster you created.

Hmm, maybe if you'd have been honest from the start, you wouldn't have created the monster.

Fox is definitely walking a tight rope here.

For those that watch more than I, has the Dominion lawsuit ever been mentioned?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT