ADVERTISEMENT

Former speaker Kevin McCarthy will retire from Congress at end of year

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), the former House speaker who was ousted from his position in October in a revolt by hard-right members, will not seek reelection to his congressional seat and retire from Congress at the end of this month, he announced Wednesday.

Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

“I have decided to depart the House at the end of this year to serve America in new ways,” McCarthy said in a Wall Street Journal op-ed. “I know my work is only getting started.”

McCarthy’s retirement will bring to an end a 16-year House career that saw him quickly rise through the ranks of Republican leadership, culminating with his stint as speaker. His ouster marked the first time in history that the House voted to remove its leader, a move that threw the chamber into a period of instability.

Goodbye GIF

Reactions: ICHawk-I and h-hawk
Walk of shame for Mccarthy. Lol @ the blue wave folx.. have you seen biden's approval ratings?

Man, I hope so.
Won't happen in the senate. Dems are losing in West Virginia thanks to Manchin bowing out and are defending I think 3 or 4 seats that are in red states like Montana and Ohio.

The most vulnerable Republican seat seems to be Ted Cruz which isn't very vulnerable.

Reactions: ICHerky
Johnson will soon have a 1 vote majority.
Gaetz has a pending ethics committee review. If I’m Johnson is he worth it?
Not sure on the count, but some GOP House member announced he has cancer. I am in no way pro cancer whoever you are, but if he can’t continue in his office that is another issue for Johnson.

Still young enough to capitalize on his notoriety and make A LOT more money than in his current role. I'd assume will start close to $1mil/year as a "consultant" or something similar.
He won the lottery, and used the money to open a bunch of Subway franchises. That's how he got his money. He's a lottery winner that a local republican party activist convinced to get into politics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT