ADVERTISEMENT

Four hurt in accident on the Raging River ride at Adventureland.

I wonder of there wasn't some horseplay involved. In any case that is a shitty situation.

I wonder of there wasn't some horseplay involved. In any case that is a shitty situation.
Maybe, but most of those rides have seatbelts, don’t they? Plus, those things are pretty big and heavy. It would be hard to tip one. I can see poor weight distribution being an issue.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I cannot imagine how one of those would flip over. It's not like they tip side to side that much, mostly they just spin. Maybe on the conveyor belt lifting them back to the end of the ride?
I think the water is about 2 feet deep for most of the ride, too.

I don’t see how that ride ever opens again after this. Had been closed most (if not all) of this year until late last week … still not sure why it was closed, but a tragedy this soon after reopening tells me no more Raging River.

That ride is responsible for a couple fatalities in the last 5 years now.
To be fair the other fatality was when a worker fell into the ride, but yeah…. As to flipping the tube, some people must have been really heavy and others not with horrible weight distribution.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
The park's lawyers know they have huge liability issues and told everyone to STFU.
Please. We are all deeply saddened by this tragic, and wholly unforeseeable event. Join us in mourning with the family members of the rowdy people on the ride.

Signed,

Adventureland.

Waterloo is going to over take Altoona as the amusement park destination of Iowa. The dry park in Waterloo may not be as big as Adventureland but will continue to grow. Most of Eastern Iowa is going to go to Waterloo instead of Altoona.
That's not going to be an amusement park but a theme park. That's what Gary Bertch(the owner) told me when I asked about comparison in size to Adventureland 6 months ago. I walked away thinking that's a great way not to answer my question. 😀

I do agree with you though. Could be more then just eastern Iowa the first couple of years because of the newness factor.

Adventureland could use some cleaning up.

need to make it look brand new everyday. Weeds, paint, ect.

Waterloo is going to over take Altoona as the amusement park destination of Iowa. The dry park in Waterloo may not be as big as Adventureland but will continue to grow. Most of Eastern Iowa is going to go to Waterloo instead of Altoona.
Good. The lines are long enough already.

There is a reason for that. No surprise to me. information will have to be pried outa this mess..especially if their is a death involved. The lawyers will be cashing checks here. Good chance “Adventureland” will be no more in a few years.
Sure it will……. :rolleyes:

Sounds good to me. Anything to clean up Adventureland works for me.

The lack of info makes me question whether this was a situation of rowdy people. I’d think they would let that info get out. Was it a drowning situation where they were trapped? Caught in some mechanism of the ride? Were there no other guests watching when it happened? Normally you have someone wanting to talk to the media, even if it’s just an observer.

The lack of info makes me question whether this was a situation of rowdy people. I’d think they would let that info get out. Was it a drowning situation where they were trapped? Caught in some mechanism of the ride? Were there no other guests watching when it happened? Normally you have someone wanting to talk to the media, even if it’s just an observer.
Or if it was a situation of rowdy riders they would wait to release that out of respect while they are being treated for their injuries. I just don’t see how you tip one of those tubes unless the riders were doing something they shouldn’t have been.

Or if it was a situation of rowdy riders they would wait to release that out of respect while they are being treated for their injuries. I just don’t see how you tip one of those tubes unless the riders were doing something they shouldn’t have been.
Even if this is the case...the liability goes back to the park operators and ride manufacturers and they are the ones with the deep pockets. This is not the first time the park has had issues with this ride, either. In fact, the ride just received permission to resume operations, if I heard the news report correctly. America is a litigious society. That’s why lawyers rule every thing. ;)

IDK the details but from personal experience at the end of the ride I have witnessed riders all slide around to the back side of the tub prior to starting up the ramp. The tubs also tend to wait there till another hits it from behind to give it a push up the conveyor belt incline.

I could see that being the point where it happened. The tub was tipped over and the injuries were to people trapped below it.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Right, but where are the witnesses? How are they able to keep them quiet?
If you have ever been on the ride, you will know that other tubes are not very close in proximity to each other. If it didn't happen near the loading or unloading zone, it is likely the only witnesses would be the people onboard.

Even if this is the case...the liability goes back to the park operators and ride manufacturers and they are the ones with the deep pockets. This is not the first time the park has had issues with this ride, either. In fact, the ride just received permission to resume operations, if I heard the news report correctly. America is a litigious society. That’s why lawyers rule every thing. ;)
Or there is assumption of risk, waiver, etc. that could shield them from liability.

No person in their right mind would want to get close to Waterloo . Only reason I even have to go thru is on my way to IC. Otherwise I’d rather chew broken glass than spend time in the loo…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT