ADVERTISEMENT

Fran says he's turning to Dom Uhl

A

anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

Fran says he's turning to Uhl to help turn the Hawkeyes' season around. Sounds like a plan...just a pretty, uh, weak one.

Seriously? The kid hasn't played ALL year, but Fran is so desperate he actually said Uhl will be getting more minutes...good passer, yada, yada, yada.

So if you weren't sure how fast the good ship Iowa was sinking, you should be sure now. Desperate times do call for desperate measures, but this?

Anyway, read it for yourself here: http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...l-challenge-profession-turnaround/1053789001/

Reactions: Mcbooger
tumblr_o5lg8pRfpj1vqw9n5o1_250.gif

I didn't see that. Is that his exact quote, "turning to Uhl to help turn the Hawkeyes' season around."

I could see playing Dom for some perimeter defense.....6'9" long and good lateral quickness. If he has demonstrated in practice that he can guard people on the perimeter then I could understand playing him some minutes....what's that hurt at this point?

Last edited:
2/3 of the way through the season and talking about more PT for a guy who wasn't part of the plan at all up until the purdue debacle. A desperation move to be sure.

He’s replacing an injured player. Why is this crazy?

Fran seems desperate for a lot of reasons, but this isn’t one of them.

I've heard Iowa has very good practice players. Just not translating to the games. Talk about a sophomore slump for the entire team.

Try to finish the season as best as you can, tell the players to put the work in in the off season and see who should be here next year.

Uhl gave Iowa better defensive minutes at the 5 in 2015-16 than anything ive seen the last two years, besides Kriener.

This years starter has been a comedy act.

Like I said I would have went to Uhl and Wagner a while ago and benched the guys who cant play any D.

We are getting blown out every game because of defense.

Fran says he's turning to Uhl to help turn the Hawkeyes' season around. Sounds like a plan...just a pretty, uh, weak one.

Seriously? The kid hasn't played ALL year, but Fran is so desperate he actually said Uhl will be getting more minutes...good passer, yada, yada, yada.

So if you weren't sure how fast the good ship Iowa was sinking, you should be sure now. Desperate times do call for desperate measures, but this?

Anyway, read it for yourself here: http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...l-challenge-profession-turnaround/1053789001/
"McCaffery indicated he might start using Dom Uhl more"

Can you read?

This will never happen, but I would like to see Fran stop the madness of trying to play fast with a roster built for the peach basket era. Slow it down, post and re-post x 2 then if all else fails, take a 3. The notion that trying to play fast against more athletic teams is somehow to our advantage makes sense to Fran and Fran only.

Let Garza and Cook work down low and make the opponent defend for a full shot clock. Hell, I would be fine with some last second heaves to beat the shot clock vs. quick shot, rebound, outlet, dunk. Likely we can always get a Garza / Cook / Baer jumper worst case scenario given the attention Bohannon gets. I have turned the page on Moss. Guy just doesn't have any desire to compete.

I think at this point I would like to see

Bohannon/Dailey
Dailey/Bohannon
Baer/????
Cook/Nunge
Garza/Kriener

Reactions: skydog0784
2/3 of the way through the season and talking about more PT for a guy who wasn't part of the plan at all up until the purdue debacle. A desperation move to be sure.
Yah I'm not sure why a senior who played a role up until now, has gotten some minutes.

I think at this point I would like to see

Bohannon/Dailey
Dailey/Bohannon
Baer/????
Cook/Nunge
Garza/Kriener

I think it would be interesting to see Dailey run the point and have Bohannon slide over to SG. The problem is that leaves Brady as your primary ball handler off the bench. Not good.

Reactions: papabeef
I think it would be interesting to see Dailey run the point and have Bohannon slide over to SG. The problem is that leaves Brady as your primary ball handler off the bench. Not good.

We don't have a lot of good options on this team this year and I am as surprised as anyone.

We don't have a lot of good options on this team this year and I am as surprised as anyone.

How surprised do you think Fran is?? I really wonder if he is just dismayed as all get out. Nothing is working. And we seemed destined to have an upper half team no matter what, less Bohannon getting hurt.... THIS Just seems too strange of a season, after last year.

This will never happen, but I would like to see Fran stop the madness of trying to play fast with a roster built for the peach basket era. Slow it down, post and re-post x 2 then if all else fails, take a 3. The notion that trying to play fast against more athletic teams is somehow to our advantage makes sense to Fran and Fran only.

Let Garza and Cook work down low and make the opponent defend for a full shot clock. Hell, I would be fine with some last second heaves to beat the shot clock vs. quick shot, rebound, outlet, dunk. Likely we can always get a Garza / Cook / Baer jumper worst case scenario given the attention Bohannon gets. I have turned the page on Moss. Guy just doesn't have any desire to compete.
I disagree. Playing fast is fine WHEN you can beat them down the court and get an easy chance . All other times this team doesn't have the athletes to do that consistently.
The rest I agree with.

I disagree. Playing fast is fine WHEN you can beat them down the court and get an easy chance . All other times this team doesn't have the athletes to do that consistently.
The rest I agree with.

In theory I agree with you, but who can finish on this team besides Cook? Bohannon can't get an open look because he is handling the ball. Moss is a non-factor. A lot to like about Garza, but he isn't going to beat anybody down the court. That leaves Baer, who is almost exclusively a 3 point shooter. I would estimate 30% conservatively of this team's turnovers have come from trying to play too fast. Throwing it ahead to guys who can't do anything with it isn't playing intelligent basketball IMO.

Not that I think a roster shuffle is going to matter, but I would like to see Moss out as a starter and Dailey in. Let Dailey take some of the ball handling off of Bohannon early vs. after we are down 15. Rotate Bohannon for some rest and bring Moss in. Rotate Cook / Garza for Kriener / Nunge, but do not take both out at same time. As far as the others, I don't think Uhl can do any worse than Pemsl, Wagner, Ellingson and as others have stated, his length and quickness might result in a blocked shot or steal.

I

What I dont understand is this:

* We have everyone back this season but one player, Jok. Heck, when we did not have Jok last year, we played well!!!! BY NOW, we should be experts in the motion offense and the D's that Fran wants to run. Why aren't we experts????

* We only had 2 new players to incorporate.

* We had 10 extra practices (for the Europe trip) to fine tune everything. We then had actual games in Europe to fine tune everything.

* Fran said this was his best team he's had at Iowa.

And NOW Fran is looking to turn things around???

Suddenly Dom is the answer???

What the hell am I missing?

What the hell happened to this promising season?

I am a Fran supporter but this season is just not acceptable. Something is very very wrong with the program

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT