ADVERTISEMENT

Freaking meteorologists

I took 2 meteorology courses. While the science is extremely interesting, I wouldn't want to be an on air talent. WAY too many variables to get a forecast accurate and WAY too many people think it should be easy to get the weather right 4-5 days out when it's really, really hard to do.
They're right like 90% of the time. It's just when they're wrong, it's noticeable. Scott Foster syndrome?

cool-story-bro-8-300x278.jpg

Reactions: Moral and McLovin32
Spent the day doing some spot treatment for dry spots in the yard. Watered the yard because the rain chance went way down. Now it’s pouring. CSB.
Most people don’t understand when it’s 30% chance of rain - that doesn’t mean there a 30% chance of rain where you are but that 30% of the area will see rain that day.

Many people see 50% and think it means it will rain for half the day. You can’t make this up.

Most accurate?

Weather forecast?
Economic forecast?
Political forecast?
Sports forecast?

None of the above?

They pedal fear for ratings.

I don’t recall hearing them say “chance for damaging wind and large hail in the next 48 hours”. Until recently. Like politics, gotta crank up the noise to 10 instantly.

It’s ridiculous.

Some liquid weed applications do say they are rain resistant after just an hour so don’t fret.

Your dad was well suited for the job.
He did tell me about one situation where they had to launch planes on short notice, and the Captain thought his prediction as to winds was full of shit, and thereby ended up trying to launch F4Us with the wind at their back.

Most people don’t understand when it’s 30% chance of rain - that doesn’t mean there a 30% chance of rain where you are but that 30% of the area will see rain that day.
Wouldn't that still put you at 30% chance that yours is an area that will see rain?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT