ADVERTISEMENT

Freaking Ulis

My history is a bit blurry. How realistically close were we on Ulis? I know were offered him early before everyone else but I didn't know how much we were really in it in the end. It's not like we lost to a chump school in a recruiting battle.

My history is a bit blurry. How realistically close were we on Ulis? I know were offered him early before everyone else but I didn't know how much we were really in it in the end. It's not like we lost to a chump school in a recruiting battle.
You'll get 100 different answers to this question. The only one who really knows is Ulis.

I believe Kentucky came in late and swiped him from us. Like...11th hour late. He was all in for the Hawks and it might have been the weekend before signing day that Kentucky offered and he accepted. If I remember correctly, he did it at a high-school football game.

He said telling Fran he wasn't coming to IA was the hardest thing he ever had to do. That's no consolation though.

There was just an article on him in the Chicago Trib about 1 week ago. It was re: nobody (Izzo, others) wanting him early on b/c he was too small. His high school coach was like, "You guys are totally missing it. The kid can play." They didn't mention that Iowa was in on him before the others were.

Give up the fantasy that Ulis would have come to Iowa if he didn't go to Kentucky. He has said it was MSU if not Kentucky.

"I really liked Iowa, Coach McCaffery," Ulis said. "I really liked him, guys on the team. But at the end of the day it was between here and Michigan State because I always grew up around Michigan State. I liked (Coach Tom) Izzo. I really wanted to go there, then Kentucky came in, and I just felt like that was the best for me."

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...yler-ulis-kentucky-iowa-basketball-recruiting

You just can't kill this idea that Tyler Ulis would have signed with Iowa had it not been for the Kentucky offer ....... even in the face of direct and unambiguous evidence conclusively refuting it.

Reactions: MTHawkeyes43
Give up the fantasy that Ulis would have come to Iowa if he didn't go to Kentucky. He has said it was MSU if not Kentucky.

"I really liked Iowa, Coach McCaffery," Ulis said. "I really liked him, guys on the team. But at the end of the day it was between here and Michigan State because I always grew up around Michigan State. I liked (Coach Tom) Izzo. I really wanted to go there, then Kentucky came in, and I just felt like that was the best for me."

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...yler-ulis-kentucky-iowa-basketball-recruiting

"I really liked Iowa. They were in first place the whole time, then Kentucky came..."

So, it's not some "fantasy". This was right after he committed to Kentucky, when the recruitment was fresh in his mind. A year later it was more convenient for him to say his two finalists were two teams at the final four.

Link:

Go to the 0:30 mark of the video

You just can't kill this idea that Tyler Ulis would have signed with Iowa had it not been for the Kentucky offer ....... even in the face of direct and unambiguous evidence conclusively refuting it.
Unambiguous huh? See my previous post

He'd have to play behind Gesell though probably would of transferred . Does any body really think that Fran would play Ulis over Gesell is in dream land .

He would have. You are dreaming that he wouldn't. He was after him hard. You really think he would have sat him.

I could never fault Ulis for choosing Kentucky. He went to a Final Four and now is the leader of that team. It sucks to miss out on him but how many kids would turn that down. The worst part was that graphic ESPN sent out yesterday. The last two players from Kentucky with 30 and 5 ast were Ulis this weekend and Tayshaun Prince in 2001 against Iowa.
Kind of a double kick in the nuts.

I could never like Prince after that game. He did everything.

"I really liked Iowa. They were in first place the whole time, then Kentucky came..."

So, it's not some "fantasy". This was right after he committed to Kentucky, when the recruitment was fresh in his mind. A year later it was more convenient for him to say his two finalists were two teams at the final four.

Link:

And why would it be convenient for him to do so?

I could never fault Ulis for choosing Kentucky. He went to a Final Four and now is the leader of that team. It sucks to miss out on him but how many kids would turn that down. The worst part was that graphic ESPN sent out yesterday. The last two players from Kentucky with 30 and 5 ast were Ulis this weekend and Tayshaun Prince in 2001 against Iowa.
Kind of a double kick in the nuts.

I could never like Prince after that game. He did everything.

Faulting a kid for picking Kentucky for hoops is like faulting a kid for picking Bama for football. While it can be done unless it is coming from another blue blood it rings hollow.

Link:

This is my recollection as well. He indicated that he would have went to IA at the time he would have made his decision. It was much later after he would have committed and only when both KY and MSU were both in the FF did he say that he would have went to MSU. Made good headlines I guess.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. IA has a reasonable path to the Sweet 16 if we can put it back together.

I'm not bummed one bit. It made me feel good that he liked Iowa but took a better offer.

Why? Because he's chasing his dream of playing in the NBA at a school that puts him there easier than Iowa could? Because he didn't choose your favorite team? What out of state kids would come to Iowa with Kentucky as an option and playing time right away.

Omg, get over yourself and your beloved wildcats. It doesn't matter one bit where he plays, if he's good enough, the nba will come calling. Fran was on him from day 1, he should have been loyal and played for the hawks. Hell, we would probably be on our way to the final four with a big ten championship tucked in our back pocket. I hope he twists his ankle the first minute of the game in dsm and mighty Kentucky goes down. Who ever thinks they are too good for the Hawks I say screw em.

yeah that's not what he said right after picking. he changed his story later.

He'd have to play behind Gesell though probably would of transferred . Does any body really think that Fran would play Ulis over Gesell is in dream land .
This is a droid comment because there's no way of knowing. Maybe the competition would've done something to the development if Gesell's game and maybe he would've become a better player. Maybe they would've both played like sapp and Mike do now. There's so many possibilities.
I don't understand the hatred for Gesell. It's not his fault that Fran puts the ball in his hands at every end of clock situation despite the many times it's failed. Mike is just playing the game the best he can. He's a hard working kid who's given a lot to our program, and for that matter so have the other seniors in spite of this late collapse, and I simply don't understand the need to shit on them now here at the end. One of two things will happen this weekend. We'll continue to swoon and Temple will put us out of our misery. Or these guys will find something in themselves with the opportunity to play fresh opponents who haven't been advanced scouting them, and maybe they rediscover a little of what they had in January. If that halted, temple and Villanova are in deep shit. We're more talented than temple and can run by them to a double digit win if we come out and hit some shots and defend. And quite frankly, we've played several teams that are better then Villanova this year and handled them by double digits when we were right. It had nothing to do with those schools and everything to do with Fran and the players. This is a great opportunity at redemption if they can just find that confidence and swagger again.

That right there makes him a double puke

He never committed to play for Iowa. He never reneged on a commitment to Iowa. I grew up a Hawk fan. I went to and graduated from Iowa. Suppose I had full-ride academic offers from Iowa, Michigan, and Northwestern. I would have bolted for Evanston.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT