ADVERTISEMENT

Sydney Affolter

Hawkfan_08

HR Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
I know I have been on my soap box about her all year but my gosh she's awesome. After not getting 6th player of the year, somehow, she took full advantage of her starts. How did she do in the Big Ten Tourney?

Vs PSU: 18 pts, 9 rbs (3 off), 5 ast, 1 block, 1 steal

Vs Michigan: 12 pts, 7 rbs, 8 ast, 2 stls

Vs Nebraska: 11 pts, 11 rbs (6 off), 3 ast, 1 stl, 1 block

What isn't on the stat sheet is her work off the ball, boxing out to get other rebounds, doubling the post and causing havoc. A fantastic player.

I know I have been on my soap box about her all year but my gosh she's awesome. After not getting 6th player of the year, somehow, she took full advantage of her starts. How did she do in the Big Ten Tourney?

What isn't on the stat sheet is her work off the ball, boxing out to get other rebounds, doubling the post and causing havoc. A fantastic player.
I agree 100% and have also been wanting her in the starting line-up. Not because MD was struggling, but because SA is that good rebounding, scoring, passing, and ball-handling. Not to mention her great effort at all times.

She looked at times a little sloppy driving to the basket, imo. But they were aggressive plays which is great. She'll get her feet under her and be in fine shape going forward, especially given the rest of her game.

She looked at times a little sloppy driving to the basket, imo. But they were aggressive plays which is great. She'll get her feet under her and be in fine shape going forward, especially given the rest of her game.

I think Syd and Kylie both should really work on tightening up their ball handling in the offseason, With question marks about the PG position next year the ability to drive will be a real benefit coming from various positions.

I think this is what Bluder wanted them to do. They were trying to challenge the refs to blow the whistle. They didn't. There were two times where she was absolutely hacked. I had no problem with her taking it to the rim.

I think Syd and Kylie both should really work on tightening up their ball handling in the offseason, With question marks about the PG position next year the ability to drive will be a real benefit coming from various positions.

I think a freshman or Johnson will run point next year.

Last edited:
I think this is what Bluder wanted them to do. They were trying to challenge the refs to blow the whistle. They didn't. There were two times where she was absolutely hacked. I had no problem with her taking it to the rim.

I think a freshman or Washington will run point next year.
Washington?

Reactions: amahawk
They need to get a solid player in the portal, IMO. Do that and I think with Stuelke, McCabe, Affolter, and Fuerbach, they could be pretty competitive.

Which position?

Iowa has a pretty good nucleus coming back along with 4 pretty talented players. I think they will be fine, not Elite 8 or maybe even Sweet Sixteen, but pretty good. Lisa isn't going to just take a great talent at any position if she doesn't fit in.

Which position?

Iowa has a pretty good nucleus coming back along with 4 pretty talented players. I think they will be fine, not Elite 8 or maybe even Sweet Sixteen, but pretty good. Lisa isn't going to just take a great talent at any position if she doesn't fit in.
Needs to be a PG.

Only if no one comes. It was supposed to be Guyton but she tore her ACL in January so the timing is really not ideal. Woulda been a step back but necessary part of the development journey.

But now she likely will miss the whole season bc she’ll miss too much to catch up. After her the next best option is Stremlow. Stremlow could very well develop into a great PG but she shouldn’t have to play as a freshman and if she does we should expect a very freshman year.

We absolutely need a veteran PG from the portal. If no one comes, I think the only option will be for Affolter to slide to the 1. Indiana, Maryland, etc have done this with their SF when in this position. Hopefully Stremlow (or potentially Guyton, but I won’t hold my breath) can work their way into the lineup by January….but it’s asking a lot.

She’s the new Warnock. Maybe better.

Reactions: hahkize
Kind of off topic I know, but was JuJu a highly recruited high school kid? Did she commit early, was it close for anybody else? I know the answer has to be she was a 5star type kid but I read something that made it seem like nobody saw that type of production coming?

Kind of off topic I know, but was JuJu a highly recruited high school kid? Did she commit early, was it close for anybody else? I know the answer has to be she was a 5star type kid but I read something that made it seem like nobody saw that type of production coming?
She was the #1 kid in her class and she went to a school where kids like that don’t typically go. She was always going to immediately have an impact.

Last edited:
Not having Czanano isn't great. Guard play is better.

I don’t think she’s a net positive 🤷‍♂️. That’s just me, I don’t think I’m alone, but that’s just how I see it. And as far as that goes, that’s when analytics come into play, and you start to look at the metrics.

I’m not even an advanced stats, kinda guy…

But to me when you look at year over year. At the numbers on pages, you can’t tell me this isn’t a much better team….

Better offense, defense, rebounding 🤷‍♂️ who knew?

Johnson will never be a starter —not even close to being a good shot

Which position?

Agreed. A lot of people think you can just plug a player in through the portal and things will go well. Maryland is a case and point of individual players she plugged in, and they were trying to win by themselves in my opinion.
Catlin is a great player but can't win it all on her own. This team this year has stepped up when she has been down here lately until she gets it going like in the 2nd half today.

Reactions: BGHAWK
We have 3 girls right now, playing at a higher level than Warnock ever did, consistently, NOT counting CC.

I’ve said pretty consistently since January, mid to late January. This team is better than last year‘s. Even more so now.

Which 3?

They need to get a solid player in the portal, IMO. Do that and I think with Stuelke, McCabe, Affolter, and Fuerbach, they could be pretty competitive.
Fuerbach is fast with quick hands and can make shots. If she can get her fake and drive to the hoop game to be very solid she will be good, and tall enough to rebound well.

McCabe can shoot and help make up for some of what lost without Clark, it will be her time.

Stuelke is great and needs to add the 11 to 15 foot jump shot as a dependable part of her game. Maybe even 3 ptrs at some time. She might not be the post next year all the time.

And Affolter is tough, she can jump for rebounds, can shoot and drive and plays pretty good Dee.

I hope Gyamfi takes a bit step because she can give height and other skills.

Yes, a proven portal pt guard would be great. I hope the frosh center is ready to play

they all looked sloppy driving the ball IMO
Nebby did a good job of filling the lane as someone drove in there, multiple times balls were swatted away.

If the hawks were shooting great from the arc to start the game there would have been way more room to drive to the hoop. That being said the returning players can all work to improve their ball handling by 30% or more. Fuerbach starts out ok but dribbles into trouble too much but more practice and playing time will help

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT