ADVERTISEMENT

Sydney Affolter

Was watching highlights this morning. Affolter had a great game. She goes all-in on those fast breaks, with little regard to her body. Full speed on this play way past the point where most players have started to brake or give up entirely. She knows that pass is coming. You can tell they have put in time and work, which just elevates the appreciation.

*As side note, it looks like Clark thought Affolter was seriously injured on the play. Lots of conflicted emotion on her face walking to the baseline.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Syd's amazing NCAA Tournament continues.

Check out what she's done so far;

.........................Min...Pts...Reb...Ast...Stl...Blk
Holy Cross.......29......9.......7........3........2......0
West Virginia...35.....13.......7........2,,,,,,,0......0
Colorado...........33....15.......5.........1.......0......0
LSU.....................37....16.......5.........1.......0......0

I know I have been on my soap box about her all year but my gosh she's awesome. After not getting 6th player of the year, somehow, she took full advantage of her starts. How did she do in the Big Ten Tourney?

Vs PSU: 18 pts, 9 rbs (3 off), 5 ast, 1 block, 1 steal

Vs Michigan: 12 pts, 7 rbs, 8 ast, 2 stls

Vs Nebraska: 11 pts, 11 rbs (6 off), 3 ast, 1 stl, 1 block

What isn't on the stat sheet is her work off the ball, boxing out to get other rebounds, doubling the post and causing havoc. A fantastic player.

• Wow
Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Affolter has been huge and I think she will be again tonight. Go Syd!! I am a big fan of hers and really like seeing her enjoy the success that she has earned.

One of the few players who actually boxes out on every shot and isn't afraid to scrap for a loose ball........What's not to love? Wished she'd gotten some more minutes earlier in her career but she seems to be ok w/ where she's at....

Reactions: ddeanHawk
its amazing how much she has contributed

not sure what her minutes were before Molly went down but look at them now

Well, she’s clearly playing more minutes now because we are thinner without Davis. Typically in mid 30s over the last six to 10 or so games.

With that said, she’d been playing quite a bit anyway. But because of agendas and biases and unsubstantiated beliefs our fans had not realized how much she had already been contributing. She played 26 minutes had two points and 14 rebounds in the second game of the season against Virginia Tech….

It’s not like she wasn’t playing…🤷‍♂️

Well, she’s clearly playing more minutes now because we are thinner without Davis. Typically in mid 30s over the last six to 10 or so games.

With that said, she’d been playing quite a bit anyway. But because of agendas and biases and unsubstantiated beliefs our fans had not realized how much she had already been contributing. She played 26 minutes had two points and 14 rebounds in the second game of the season against Virginia Tech….

It’s not like she wasn’t playing…🤷‍♂️
She was also really good last year!! Those of us who were regulars on the 4 dedicated WBB threads (lol) were always praising her. Even if she wasn't draining 3s, she was rebounding well, making her free throws, and taking it to the hoop. During a long stretch of time where it felt like so many of our players were scared on the court, it was obvious she not only wanted the ball but wanted to score. I remember somewhere mid-season, after some big wins, it was like -- damn, why is no one talking about her contributions?! And perhaps best of all, she always looks like she's having a great time. She's either smiling or otherwise fully engaged in the moment. She cleraly elevated the team as soon as she became a regular rotation player, I think in Dec/Jan of last season.

She was also really good last year!! Those of us who were regulars on the 4 dedicated WBB threads (lol) were always praising her. Even if she wasn't draining 3s, she was rebounding well, making her free throws, and taking it to the hoop. During a long stretch of time where it felt like so many of our players were scared on the court, it was obvious she not only wanted the ball but wanted to score. I remember somewhere mid-season, after some big wins, it was like -- damn, why is no one talking about her contributions?! And perhaps best of all, she always looks like she's having a great time. She's either smiling or otherwise fully engaged in the moment. She cleraly elevated the team as soon as she became a regular rotation player, I think in Dec/Jan of last season.

The smiling thing is something I love about all our girls, and I noticed in that tough stretch at the 2/3 mark of the season, for several games in a row. CC wasn’t smiling. It was very telling to me….

Part of the not noticing thing to me, came from the fact that everybody was extremely fixated on Gabby Marshall’s performance and their love affair with Taylor McCabe…

I saw a couple guys suggest McCabe was a bitter defender even and I have no clue what the hell they were watching

Check out what she's done so far;

The stats are great, but it's more than that with Syd. She brings an attitude and toughness to the team that we need. If there is a loose ball, Syd is usually in the middle of it somewhere.

Check out what she's done so far:

UConn...............39.....8.......7.........2.......2......0

I know I have been on my soap box about her all year but my gosh she's awesome. After not getting 6th player of the year, somehow, she took full advantage of her starts. How did she do in the Big Ten Tourney?

Vs PSU: 18 pts, 9 rbs (3 off), 5 ast, 1 block, 1 steal

Vs Michigan: 12 pts, 7 rbs, 8 ast, 2 stls

Vs Nebraska: 11 pts, 11 rbs (6 off), 3 ast, 1 stl, 1 block

What isn't on the stat sheet is her work off the ball, boxing out to get other rebounds, doubling the post and causing havoc. A fantastic player.

Your favorite player stepped up big time again!

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
For the first time she looked a little timid going to the basket but still did all the rest correctly. Love this girl's work.
Hopefully this is something the coaching staff notices and can help Syd recognize, but on that late turnover, Stuelke actually had the right read in mind (hear me out), but she needed Sydney to CUT BACKDOOR, and she would've had a layup opportunity or at the very least forced a foul or had a better opportunity to kick off the collapsing pressure than Stuelke did.

But that's what you unfortunately live with when you run/coach the stupid late shot clock iso/pick and roll and have everyone else camp outside the 3 pt line bullsh** that just about EVERYONE runs.

I f***ing hate it.

The other minor nitpick I'd add as a coach is that she didn't need to turtle up there on that final rebound. Protect the ball, CHIN IT (fundamentals), and at least make it a little difficult for them to force the jump ball. Get the foul and knock down some FTs so we don't have to sweat out the end of the game instead.

It did work in our favor that we had the possession arrow, but I highly doubt she was aware of that in the moment.

;)

"But that's what you unfortunately live with when you run/coach the stupid late shot clock iso/pick and roll and have everyone else camp outside the 3 pt line bullsh** that just about EVERYONE runs.

I f***ing hate it."

I 100% agree and hate it as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT