ADVERTISEMENT

Freedom Caucus: Cancel NC election and give state to Trump

So on the off chance some small % of voters cannot reach a polling place due to an act of God they would disenfranchise ~50% of the voters? I am 99.9% sure that will not happen. It would be despicable and if it happened it would be career ending for any republicans in purple districts in North Carolina.

It would be so egregious that the damage to the GOP would be felt nationwide in 2026/2028.

So on the off chance some small % of voters cannot reach a polling place due to an act of God they would disenfranchise ~50% of the voters? I am 99.9% sure that will not happen. It would be despicable and if it happened it would be career ending for any republicans in purple districts in North Carolina.

It would be so egregious that the damage to the GOP would be felt nationwide in 2026/2028.

Would it though? I would have said the same thing about storming the Capitol or sending fake electors to DC.

They would just run fake Dems in as many of those districts as they could. That’s how they got their one vote super-majority.

I don’t think it would hurt them. It would energize millions to do the same thing in other states.

Harris is winning Texas too.
The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

The gall to propose this with the reasoning to not disenfranchise voters is peak GOP.

Nearly matched by the fact that the GOP congressman from NC that opposes him, is on his way out.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I assume there are lawsuits being prepped in case Trump loses demanding an extra week or two of voting to make sure all the people affected by the hurricane get to vote?

Yeah one guy says something off the wall and democracy is dying.
Just stop.

If it was some random fool making a drunken post on Facebook, I'd laugh it off. This wasn't the case, it was a US Congrssman, who happens to be the chair of a congressional caucus that includes 17% of the Republicans in the House.

That's not something to disregard.

Hell no. Have we learned nothing from the last 9 years of Trump? The line on "egregious" has moved so far in the last 10 years that it's conceivable they potentially won't suffer any damage at all in 2026 or 2028 if they successfully normalize the idea to their base.

And if they normalize it to their base it will automatically be normalized for the general public by the "liberal" MSM because "both sides".

I like you, but again, some of us have been screaming about the red alert danger to the country posed by Trump and the MAGA Republican party and there are still large large numbers of people who do the "well they'd never go that far because consequences" schtick.

Trump and his lackeys can obviously do anything they want (they've done worse than shooting the person on 5th ave at this point) with no consequences.

Democrats and like minded Americans need to finally, FINALLY get it through their heads that the country is in serious serious danger.

Just stop.
Oh FFS. This is always where MAGA has been going and we've now got a member of Congress saying out loud one of the ways per how they'll maintain permanent power and end democracy. Very very soon if Trump wins YOU'LL be repeating it back as a mantra and say this is True Democracy because of whatever "reasons" they give you.

Lynne Cheney is a hero. She took the courageous choice of political irrelevance by opposing MAGA fascism. It probably could have been her running as Trump's running mate if she had gone the JD Vance route of submission and degeneracy.

Didn't the DNC cancel their primary and give the nomination to Kamala Harris?
I'm certainly not suggesting that the State of North Carolina cancel their election and hand their electoral college votes to Trump, but Democrats are in no position to complain about it. Glass houses and all that.

Some of you think we are engaging on hyperbole when we say the GOP has become a threat to democracy. We are not.

I feel sure Mr. Harris would be thinking quite differently if a pol from North Carolina proposed similar action after the Baltimore bridge collapse, for instance.
I respect Pat McHenry and his stance does not surprise me. Hell, even bathroom-bill McCrory realizes how dangerous this proposal is to voting rights.
———————-

Under the Constitution, state legislatures have the power to choose how to allocate their votes in the Electoral College. All 50 states assign their electors based on the popular vote of their citizens.

North Carolina election officials have attempted to address challenges voters are facing in the state’s western counties. They’ve added new early voting sites and expanded the ability for displaced voters to obtain absentee ballots outside their home county. The Trump campaign has supported measures to ease voting in light of the hurricane.

Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) told reporters on Friday he hadn’t heard about any plans for the state Legislature to take the steps discussed by Raiklin and Harris. Asked about Harris’ comments, McHenry said, “It makes no sense whatsoever to prejudge the election outcome. And that is a misinformed view of what is happening on the ground in North Carolina, bless his heart.”

The retiring congressman described a “massive amount of work” going into ensuring everyone in the storm-affected counties can vote.

I’m confident we’ll have a safe and fair election in North Carolina, and then everyone that wishes to vote will have the opportunity,” he said.

The leaders of the N.C. Senate and N.C. House — state Sen. Phil Berger and state Rep. Tim Moore, both Republicans — did not respond to requests for comment. Neither did the Trump campaign.

Democrats weighed in on Harris’ statements throughout the day.

Vice President Kamala Harris addressed the Freedom Caucus chair’s comments during a media gaggle Friday, saying: “America deserves to have leaders who respect the importance of one of the pillars and foundations of our democracy, which is free and fair elections, and that they are not manipulated by elected leaders for the sake of their own political future or their own political strategy for how they themselves want to succeed.”

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, insisted the state’s “electoral votes will reflect only what the people say at the ballot box.” He got some backing from Democratic state legislators and even from his GOP predecessor, former Gov. Pat McCrory, who said that following the path described by Rep. Harris would be “a grave mistake.”

I'm certainly not suggesting that the State of North Carolina cancel their election and hand their electoral college votes to Trump, but Democrats are in no position to complain about it. Glass houses and all that.
And here we go! "Both Sides" completely false equivalence! "Glass houses and all that". It should maybe clue you in as to the legitimacy of Harris as the Democratic nominee for President that the only people bitching about the selection process for her are members of the other party. But what the hell does that have to do with a general election anyway?

Another of the Board MAGA's who will be repeating back as a mantra that gerrymandered REPUBLICAN legislatures can do this as the representation of "True Democracy" as the normalization process proceeds. No need for statewide elections any more for President--at least in states controlled by Republican legislatures.

Just stop.
At what point when people show us who they are is it okay to believe them? At what point is it okay to question if these “off the wall” comments that continue to occur are not merely coincidental?

Trump has already proven he rejects democracy when he doesn’t like the results of it. Do you actually believe his subordinates have a different view? Newsflash: all the adults left MAGA a long time ago.

When people show me who they truly are, I believe them the first time. Chishawk may be crazy, but he has yet to be proven wrong. Wake up.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

You must be one of the stupidest mother ****ers on the planet to generate that level of false equivalence.

Do not procreate and please expedite your demise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT