ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman 3 point accuracy at Iowa: CJ Fredrick is #1. Three of the 4 Best All Time return next year

Just don't screw it up....:(

After the starting 5, then what?

The entire starting 5 return:
JoeT
CJ
Weezy
Connor
Luka

And experience off the bench:
JBo
Nunge
Pemsl

But who else will see action?
PMac
The 5 freshman (when will they get to campus; how soon can they contribute)

Speculating about all this potential talent is a luxury we haven't had for a while. It's a good position right now, and something to carry us to the time we find out. Plus... I like the fact that Franisdaman cares enough to make a list at 2:00 a.m. It proves we probably won't quit caring and dreaming of a special era in Hawkeye Basketball.

CJ is first, and the 3-point line was farther back for him than for the others. It was closest for the guys at 6 and 7. It seems like shooting percentage should be lower the further away from the basket. On the other hand, the defender has a longer distance to close out. Perhaps that's the bigger factor.

After the starting 5, then what?

The entire starting 5 return:
JoeT
CJ
Weezy
Connor
Luka

And experience off the bench:
JBo
Nunge
Pemsl

But who else will see action?
PMac
The 5 freshman (when will they get to campus; how soon can they contribute)

If Jordan is 100% healthy, he's starting. Assuming everyone who can return does, here's your starting 5:

Bohannon
Fredrick
Wieskamp
Connor
Luka

Bench:
Toussaint
Nunge
Patrick
Pemsl (?)

Freshmen (1-2 redshirts, not sure who):
Perkins
Ulis
Kris
Keegan
Ogundele

Reactions: Franisdaman
While his 3 Point Shooting was not great, Ray Thompson was #6 in the B1G in True Shooting Percentage as a freshman, and the conference was quite strong at that time (e.g. IL, MI, IA, IU, PU, etc.).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-ten/1989-leaders.html

I believe he was one of the biggest crumble's in Iowa history. The guy could flat out play. What a shame.

I just hope Joe W breaks out of his funk next year.

That’s the major cliffhanger that was left unanswered by the circumstances of this season. JoeW was struggling with confidence issues down the stretch but it wasn’t like he was injured. As much as I criticized him down the stretch for being passive, tournament time is when a guy like him can go on a Luke Recker tear. Tourney time is a perfect time for the Joe W’s to reset and go on a tear.

If Jordan is 100% healthy, he's starting. Assuming everyone who can return does, here's your starting 5:

Bohannon
Fredrick
Wieskamp
Connor
Luka

Bench:
Toussaint
Nunge
Patrick
Pemsl (?)

Perkins
Ulis
Kris
Keegan
Ogundele
Meh, Fran has the players to not worry about who they are playing and the make up of their team. He can counter almost anyone.

Reactions: HFFL64
Number of attempts for CJ is disappointing.
Lots of factors there. Early on as a freshman he probably deferred to Joe W, and of course Jbo in the first 10 games. Then his numerous foot injuries. I'm sure he played several games where he didn't have the lift to be comfortable taking a lot of shots. Hopefully he'll be healthy next season, If there is one, and we'll see him at full speed.

Bohannon
Fredrick
Wieskamp
Connor
Luka

Bench:
Toussaint
Nunge
Patrick

Pemsl (?)

Perkins
Ulis
Kris
Keegan
Ogundele

I agree with your starters, and while i know it wont happen, I do like the idea of Jobo being the instant offense 6th man.

I believe Nunge will get moderate, but somewhat limited minutes, but of course fills a big hole at the 4/5 as no Kreiner.

My pick to click is Keegan. We really need another athletic wing and he should get about 15 minutes per game at the 3/4.

Starter Minutes
Strong Bench Role
Limited Bench Role

Jordan will probably start but I'm thinking the guard minutes will be somewhat evenly distributed among Jordan, Joe T and CJ. Obviously C Mac's going to be used as a ball handler in a lot of situations.

Either Jack is going to be able to play or we will see a lot of Ogs. Ryan leaves big shoes as a key and talented reserve.

If Cordell plays well I'm not sure we'll see any of the other freshmen for anything but scant minutes.

We are going to have to get CJ 5-6 three shots per game minimum.....Dude is a sniper....I really think CJ has a chance to be one of the best all around guards in Iowa history and play in the NBA some day.

I'd set the bar higher. At the current shooting percentage 8 attempts = 11 ppg. Get it up to ten and he's at 13.8. That's efficient scoring for a guard.

I think it is raining threes in Iowa City. C Mac even got his percentage into the respectable range. If C Mac and Joe T improve their 3 ball a little Iowa could average almost 100 ppg. A whole lot of Hawkeye foemen would be caught between the double on Luka or getting out to the shooter. No man's land.

Last edited:
I was surprised how poor James Moses 3 point stats were.
James Moses!!! Not a name you hear often. The most mindless gunner that ever donned the black and gold. I cannot think of anyone else even close.
so true, he was fearless, threw up some junk.
when you look at the All time scoring list, Keegan and Kris' dad is in the Top 25 and JBo is about to pass James.

And think about this for a second. James is, or soon will be, 50 years old.

Iowa All Time Scoring List

# 20 James Moses...1,343 (4 yrs: 1989-1992, 123 GP, .398 FG%,, 10.9 ppg; 109 three pt goals)

#21 Tyler Cook...1,315 (3 yrs: 2017-2019, 93 GP, .542 FG%, 14.1 ppg; 3 three pt goals)

#22 Jordan Bohannon...1,310 (3 yrs: 2017-2019, 112 GP, .390 FG%, 11.7 ppg; 284 three pt goals)

#23 Jarrod Uthoff...1,298 (3 yrs: 2014-2016, 100 GP, .450 FG%, 13.0 ppg; 137 three pt goals)

#24 Jeff Moe...1,248 (4 yrs: 1985-1988, 131 GP, .480 FG%,, 9.5 ppg; 131 three pt goals)

#25 Kenyon Murray...1,230 (4 yrs: 1993-1996, 124 GP, .462 FG%, 9.9 ppg; 49 three pt goals)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT