ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Dochterman: Iowa's basketball legacy is filled with difficult postseason moments

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
This story is from 2016 but is relevant today. It discusses the painful postseason losses over many decades & is a reminder that when you watch Iowa, there is always a chance that they might lose, no matter the expectations or the point spread.

Which postseason loss was the most painful for you?

The story:

Heartbreak Hawkeyes: The higher they fly, the more painful the fall

Iowa's basketball legacy is filled with difficult postseason moments.
In this story, hear from the players who experienced some of the most prominent painful endings firsthand.

Chapter 2: 1970
Chapter 3: 1980
Chapter 4: 1987
Chapter 5: 2006.

Mar. 16, 2016 2:50 am, Updated: Mar. 16, 2016 11:50 am

IOWA CITY — When it comes to Iowa basketball's past glories, the higher the altitude, the more painful the postseason fall.

The Heartbreak Hawkeyes have qualified for 25 NCAA tournaments and three Final Fours. But no national championship banners hang at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Over the years, the names, games and situations have become infamous. For those that lived it, it's something they never forget.

In 1956, Iowa fell to future NBA legend Bill Russell and his San Francisco Dons in the Hawkeyes' only title-game appearance. In 1970, Ralph Miller's Six-Pack finished the Big Ten season 14-0, only to lose on a last-second tip-in. Ten years later, guard Ronnie Lester's knee clipped the Hawkeyes in their most recent Final Four appearance. In 1987, Iowa led UNLV by 20 points in the Elite Eight only to lose by three points.

There are many others, from Northwestern State's last-second 3-pointer that punched out No. 3-seeded Iowa in 2006 to Lute Olson's unfortunate timeout in a 1981 loss against Wichita State. Iowa has succumbed to big-time performances (N.C. State's Rodney Monroe's 40 points in double overtime in 1989), last-second shots (Toledo's Stan Joplin in 1979) and to eventual national champions (five times). There were tough moments at the free-throw line (a 55-54 loss to Villanova 1983) and hard-fought what-ifs (the late-season slide of 2014).

Every exit is painful for players, especially the seniors.

'I've probably thought about this every day of my life since it's happened,' said Jeff Horner, Iowa's point guard in 2006. 'It's definitely heartbreaking.'

But they wouldn't trade the experience for a softer letdown, either.

'If you're afraid of bad endings, then don't play,' said Iowa radio broadcaster Bobby Hansen, who played at Iowa from 1979-1983. 'Ultimately that's part of it. You don't prepare for it.'

Each of Iowa's postseason losses were difficult in their time, but four stand above the rest: 1970, 1980, 1987 and 2006.

For longtime Iowa fans, Jacksonville's 104-103 Sweet Sixteen win against Iowa in 1970 still feels like a gut punch. That year the Hawkeyes set a Big Ten record — that stands to this day — by averaging 102.9 points a game. They won the league title outright and scored more than 100 points in 14 different games.

Four players averaged more than 17 points a game, including John Johnson at a program-record 27.9. Johnson also set Iowa records for points in a game (49), field goals (289) and points in a season (699).

'Downtown' Freddy Brown, who later joined Johnson as NBA champions in Seattle, posted 27.6 points a game and 268 field goals in 1971. To go along with their scoring prowess, the Hawkeyes had a reputation as the best passing team in college basketball.

Against a team loaded with future NBA players Rex Morgan and Artis Gilmore — who nearly picked Iowa a season earlier — the Hawkeyes forged ahead late by one point. Jacksonville had the ball and guard Vaughn Wedeking heaved up a desperation shot. Forward Pembrook Burrows III grabbed the rebound over Iowa's Chad Calabria for the putback with two seconds left for the win.

'We were devastated,' said longtime basketball broadcaster Mac McCausland, who played at Iowa from 1964-68 and served as Iowa's assistant freshman coach that year. 'We thought we had a chance to win the national championship. So we go in the locker room and there was not a dry eye, including Ralph and the coaches.'

In those days, losing teams still played consolation games. Two days later Iowa faced Notre Dame and Austin Carr, who scored 61 and 52 points, respectively, in two previous NCAA games. The Hawkeyes rolled up 75 points in the first half and scored 52 field goals — still an NCAA tournament record — in a 121-106 win.

'This is what we were all about for four months,' McCausland said. 'We could have been next week playing Bob Lanier and St. Bonaventure and we'd have won that game. Actually, they would have killed UCLA. The offense of that team, UCLA wasn't quick enough to stay up with the ball and get great shots. I still get teary-eyed thinking about it.'

In 1980, the Hawkeyes were a year removed from a Big Ten regular-season title but still qualified for the NCAA tournament. Senior guard Ronnie Lester missed 15 games with knee injuries, but Iowa was 15-1 when he played. And he was healthy entering the NCAA tournament.

In Greensboro, N.C., Iowa topped Virginia Commonwealth in the first round before knocking off North Carolina State. Iowa then beat Syracuse and Georgetown in Philadelphia to secure a Final Four bid.

'I think we just kind of hung on long enough to get ourselves in the tournament,' said current Iowa assistant coach Kirk Speraw, who was a graduate assistant in 1980 and lettered at Iowa in 1978 and 1979. 'Ronnie came back toward the end and was playing great and played great all the way through the tournament.'

In an NCAA semifinal against Louisville, Lester knocked down his first four shots for 10 points in 12 minutes. Then Lester reinjured his knee and didn't return. Louisville, which was led by Darrell Griffith's 34 points, beat Iowa 80-72 en route to the national title.

The hypotheticals still ring for Iowa players and coaches more than 35 years later. Hansen, who was a freshman guard that year, lived through four straight years of tough endings. Yet that season stings the most.

'You felt invincible and there was no way you were going to lose,' Hansen said. 'That probably was the hardest one of all. Senior year (a 55-54 Sweet Sixteen loss to Villanova), you kind of gave everything you had. With the injury to Ronnie in the Final Four, you always kind of felt like, 'What if? What if you still had the full contingent?''

In his inaugural season at Iowa, Tom Davis' 1986-87 team opened 18-0 and was ranked No. 1 nationally. The Hawkeyes finished 14-4 in Big Ten play and were seeded second in the West Region.

Iowa breezed past Santa Clara in the opener then outfought UTEP to advance to the Sweet Sixteen. In one of the tournament's better games, the Hawkeyes battled No. 3 seed Oklahoma to overtime. With two seconds left and the Hawkeyes trailing by one point, guard Kevin Gamble drilled a 3-pointer from the top of the key to give Iowa a 93-91 victory. The win sent Iowa to the Elite Eight and a date with top-ranked UNLV.

With the Final Four on the line, Iowa sizzled with 58 first-half points. The Hawkeyes led 62-44 with less than 18 minutes remaining. Then the Runnin' Rebels mounted their comeback, outscoring Iowa 27-4 in a nine-minute stretch. Iowa had a chance, down one point with 14 seconds left, but Gamble's lob pass to Brad Lohaus bounced off the backboard and out of bounds. After two UNLV free throws, Gamble's game-tying 3-point attempt at the buzzer bounced off the rim.

It was a shocking defeat for a 30-win team that had eight NBA draft picks. It's still difficult for players to accept nearly 30 years later.

Continues in next post....

'We were up 18 points with 18 minutes left,' said Les Jepsen, a freshman center that year. 'We could have gone to the Final Four and who knows? If you just play well, we could have won the whole thing. Unfortunately, we didn't win the game, we didn't go to the Final Four.'

Teams eliminated before the national semifinals often are overlooked, while those who reach the Final Four are immortalized.

'You were christened, you went to the Super Bowl, you went to the World Series. We didn't make it there,' Jepsen said. 'We should have, but we didn't go. Unfortunately as time goes on, we didn't go. We had a lot of talent, but we didn't go to the Final Four, which is tough because there's only so many chances to do that.'

Steve Alford's topsy-turvy coaching career at Iowa produced one brilliant season that ended with a shocking flameout. His 2005-06 team was 17-0 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Iowa finished one game behind Ohio State for the league title, then upended the Buckeyes 67-60 to claim the Big Ten tournament title. Their 25 wins then were the second-most in school history. Iowa earned a No. 3 seed and faced 14th-seeded Northwestern State in Auburn Hills, Mich.

For most of the game, it was a typical early-round mismatch. The Hawkeyes cruised to a 17-point lead with eight minutes to go. Then Northwestern State sliced into Iowa's lead and cut its deficit to two points in the final seconds. After retrieving a rebound in a frenetic final sequence, Jermaine Wallace sent a high-arcing shot over Iowa's Adam Haluska before falling to the ground. The shot hit nothing but net, and the moment became another NCAA stunner.

'I think going on three years after I was done playing, I couldn't even watch the NCAA tournament,' said Horner, now an assistant coach at North Dakota. 'That's how heartbreaking it was. I didn't really watch it because I didn't want to see that shot. I knew it was going to be on every NCAA tournament game. It's something that you worked your entire life for, just taken away from you in an instant like that.'

'That team was good,' Hansen said. 'I had blocked off my calendar to the Final Four in the working world. For them to lose on that crazy shot on St. Patrick's Day, it was like, 'No way.' Definitely the '06 loss was disheartening.'

Perhaps most unfortunate of all, the loss might have cost that team filled with native Iowans like Horner, Haluska and Greg Brunner a legacy. A few more wins — even with a different type of heartbreak — might have propelled a team alongside the school's great teams. Instead it's overshadowed.

'There seemed like there was always controversy so our legacy was always kind of in the dark a little bit,' Horner said. 'I think the NCAA tournament was the icing on the cake for that. It was tough for the guys on the team. We fought through the adversity, and I just hope the fans appreciate it.'

Wow, I'm completely depressed right now! Lol. That just brought back so many terrible moments in my life. Those and my first marriage are just depressing to think about much less read those play by plays.

The article mentions Lute Olson's unfortunate timeout in a 1981 loss against Wichita State.

Did he call a time out when he didn't have one?

The article mentions Lute Olson's unfortunate timeout in a 1981 loss against Wichita State.

Yup. Wichita State scored the final 4 points or something like that and cost us the game. I feel sick. And lute is considered one of iowa’s really good coaches. Had like 20 seconds left and the ball. Chris Webber moment.

Reactions: Franisdaman
For me, 1987 was the hardest loss, but 1980 was a tragedy for Ronnie and Iowa.
The 1980 game is probably the toughest on me ever. Losing Ronnie was just devastating. If he'd been healthy all season and through the tournament we might have another big title banner and a championship. Also the unlv loss. Dr Tom slowing down the pace cost us that game imo. Northwestern State is another really tough loss. Probably because we were up pretty big and just gave away an easy win. That was a solid team. Could have made some noise in the tournament.

The 1980 game is probably the toughest on me ever. Losing Ronnie was just devastating. If he'd been healthy all season and through the tournament we might have another big title banner and a championship. Also the unlv loss. Dr Tom slowing down the pace cost us that game imo. Northwestern State is another really tough loss. Probably because we were up pretty big and just gave away an easy win. That was a solid team. Could have made some noise in the tournament.

Ronnies two injuries that year may have cost us our best chance at a title ever.

It derailed his career as well.

I can remember exactly where I was for 27 of Iowa's 30 NCAA losses.
Wasn't around in 55 and 56.

Yes but Iowa should never have been in that situation. Up 11 at halftime and the the lead got 15 I believe.
Crazy they had to play that game in Wichita.
Then the next year they lost to Idaho in overtime to go to sweet 16. Basically a home game for Idaho.

• Wow
This 2022/2023 team has achieved a great deal this season. If someone told us we’d finish above .500 in the big ten and be comfortably in the ncaa tourney, I think most people would take it. Even if we lose first or second round, that’s expected when you are an 8 or 9 seed. But unfortunately the recent failures of past Hawkeye teams might be weighing on the team’s shoulders.

1970 and 1887 were the most painful to me. At least the 1980 team made the Final 4.

I feel bad for younger fans given Iowa’s lack of success in NCAA tournament games in the 21st century.

Will see what happens on Thursday.

Reactions: NI hawk
[/QUOTE
1970 and 1887 were the most painful to me. At least the 1980 team made the Final 4.

I feel bad for younger fans given Iowa’s lack of success in NCAA tournament games in the 21st century.

Will see what happens on Thursday.
Those three games are tied in my opinion. 1970 was a magical run that I still wonder about the tip in. I can’t remember seeing a replay of it but always wondered if it was legit. If some has a seen a video of Pembrook’s tip in how close was he to being within the cylinder?

1980, with Lester healthy IOWA had a real chance to do damage. Had to tear him up when he tweaked the knee again after starting the Louisville game so strong. Magic had been asked later on who was the best guard he had played against in college and his answer was Ronnie Lester.

1987 was devastating. What a fun team to watch beating a really good Oklahoma team with that irritating coach Billy Tubbs the game before was huge. Then come out and play flawlessly, pounding UNLV for the first 25 minutes of the game only to cough it up late.

It’s been too long and the light at the of the tunnel ain’t gettin any closer.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
As a youngster I fell hard for that 1970 team.
Very few games on TV...I listened to Zabel describe the action for every game. My brother and I played laundry room BB while listening to the games. Fun memories of a magical season.
The end was abrupt and brutal.

Yes but Iowa should never have been in that situation. Up 11 at halftime and the the lead got 15 I believe.
Crazy they had to play that game in Wichita.
Then the next year they lost to Idaho in overtime to go to sweet 16. Basically a home game for Idaho.
I believe that was the game with a mysterious and BS call for traveling by Bobby Hansen in the final minute or so.

As a youngster I fell hard for that 1970 team.
Very few games on TV...I listened to Zabel describe the action for every game. My brother and I played laundry room BB while listening to the games. Fun memories of a magical season.
The end was abrupt and brutal.
Zabel and Pester Derby commercials. Jacksonville loss just beginning to numerous heartbreaking NCAA tournament losses.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE
Those three games are tied in my opinion. 1970 was a magical run that I still wonder about the tip in. I can’t remember seeing a replay of it but always wondered if it was legit. If some has a seen a video of Pembrook’s tip in how close was he to being within the cylinder?

1980, with Lester healthy IOWA had a real chance to do damage. Had to tear him up when he tweaked the knee again after starting the Louisville game so strong. Magic had been asked later on who was the best guard he had played against in college and his answer was Ronnie Lester.

1987 was devastating. What a fun team to watch beating a really good Oklahoma team with that irritating coach Billy Tubbs the game before was huge. Then come out and play flawlessly, pounding UNLV for the first 25 minutes of the game only to cough it up late.

I agree - a 3 way tie. All 3 rank up there in disappointment with the '86 Rose Bowl.

:mad:

Was too young to remember 1980, 1987 will always be the most painful for me, nothing else has come close in any sport. Going from the high of that late Fri night game against Oklahoma to the low of Sun afternoon hurt.

I was born in '77 so I have no memory of the 1980 game, and wasn't around for the 1970 game.

Losing to NWST in '06 sucked. So did Richmond last year, as did the second round blowout to Oregon 2 years ago as a 2 seed.

But, that 1987 team was the only team in my lifetime that I felt had a realistic chance to win it all, so that loss to UNLV is the worst for me, and it's not even close, especially given the large halftime lead. I was absolutely gutted by that one, and I've never really gotten over it. This game will haunt me until Iowa makes the Final Four again, or wins it all. 36 years and counting, it looks like I'll be taking this one with me to the grave. Hell, seems like this program can't even get out of the first weekend anymore. Only one Sweet 16 since '88. Sigh...

Last edited:
I was born in '77 so I have no memory of the 1980 game, and wasn't around for the 1970 game.

Losing to NWST in '06 sucked. So did Richmond last year, as did the second round blowout to Oregon 2 years ago as a 2 seed.

But, that 1987 team was the only team in my lifetime that I felt had a realistic chance to win it all, so that loss to UNLV is the worst for me, and it's not even close, especially given the large halftime lead. I was absolutely gutted by that one, and I've never really gotten over it. This game will haunt me until Iowa makes the Final Four again, or wins it all. 36 years and counting, it looks like I'll be taking this one with me to the grave. Hell, seems like this program can't even get out of the first weekend anymore. Only one Sweet 16 since '88. Sigh...
Unfortunately you'll end up with more painful memories. Just how it goes being a college basketball fan. I really hope you get to see that final four soon. There is something really special about it and the intensity is off the charts. UNLV and Northwestern State both haunt me as well. But there are some great memories. I hope you get some of those from the tournament.

[/QUOTE

Damn refs! ;)

Can you imagine being a player on these teams? There has to be those constant questions of "what if Ronnie had been healthy?" and "what if we had held on vs UNLV?" Those were 2 national title contenders, for sure. Ughhh....

They call it March Madness. But it could easily be called March Sadness.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Damn refs! ;)

Can you imagine being a player on these teams? There has to be those constant questions of "what if Ronnie had been healthy?" and "what if we had held on vs UNLV?" Those were 2 national title contenders, for sure. Ughhh....

They had Jeff Horner on and he said it was years before he could even watch the tournament after that northwestern state game. He also said it might have changed the narrative on that group with Alford. Loved to hear the insights from him. Said it still hurts after all these years.

Could be worse! You could be a Hawkeye fan AND a Vikings fan, like @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset !

His Vikings have been to TEN NFC Championship games (lost 6 of them!) and 4 Super Bowls (lost all 4!).

1981 is as tough as any of the other losses talked about. Indiana won national championship that year and Iowa beat them twice during season.

Damn refs! ;)

Lester was so smooth. My fav Hawk of all time. Didn't Magic Johnson say Ronnie was the best point guard he played against? (Was that in college???)

This story is from 2016 but is relevant today. It discusses the painful postseason losses over many decades & is a reminder that when you watch Iowa, there is always a chance that they might lose, no matter the expectations or the point spread.

Which postseason loss was the most painful for you?

The story:

Heartbreak Hawkeyes: The higher they fly, the more painful the fall

Iowa's basketball legacy is filled with difficult postseason moments.
In this story, hear from the players who experienced some of the most prominent painful endings firsthand.

Chapter 2: 1970
Chapter 3: 1980
Chapter 4: 1987
Chapter 5: 2006.

Mar. 16, 2016 2:50 am, Updated: Mar. 16, 2016 11:50 am

IOWA CITY — When it comes to Iowa basketball's past glories, the higher the altitude, the more painful the postseason fall.

The Heartbreak Hawkeyes have qualified for 25 NCAA tournaments and three Final Fours. But no national championship banners hang at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Over the years, the names, games and situations have become infamous. For those that lived it, it's something they never forget.

In 1956, Iowa fell to future NBA legend Bill Russell and his San Francisco Dons in the Hawkeyes' only title-game appearance. In 1970, Ralph Miller's Six-Pack finished the Big Ten season 14-0, only to lose on a last-second tip-in. Ten years later, guard Ronnie Lester's knee clipped the Hawkeyes in their most recent Final Four appearance. In 1987, Iowa led UNLV by 20 points in the Elite Eight only to lose by three points.

There are many others, from Northwestern State's last-second 3-pointer that punched out No. 3-seeded Iowa in 2006 to Lute Olson's unfortunate timeout in a 1981 loss against Wichita State. Iowa has succumbed to big-time performances (N.C. State's Rodney Monroe's 40 points in double overtime in 1989), last-second shots (Toledo's Stan Joplin in 1979) and to eventual national champions (five times). There were tough moments at the free-throw line (a 55-54 loss to Villanova 1983) and hard-fought what-ifs (the late-season slide of 2014).

Every exit is painful for players, especially the seniors.

'I've probably thought about this every day of my life since it's happened,' said Jeff Horner, Iowa's point guard in 2006. 'It's definitely heartbreaking.'

But they wouldn't trade the experience for a softer letdown, either.

'If you're afraid of bad endings, then don't play,' said Iowa radio broadcaster Bobby Hansen, who played at Iowa from 1979-1983. 'Ultimately that's part of it. You don't prepare for it.'

Each of Iowa's postseason losses were difficult in their time, but four stand above the rest: 1970, 1980, 1987 and 2006.

For longtime Iowa fans, Jacksonville's 104-103 Sweet Sixteen win against Iowa in 1970 still feels like a gut punch. That year the Hawkeyes set a Big Ten record — that stands to this day — by averaging 102.9 points a game. They won the league title outright and scored more than 100 points in 14 different games.

Four players averaged more than 17 points a game, including John Johnson at a program-record 27.9. Johnson also set Iowa records for points in a game (49), field goals (289) and points in a season (699).

'Downtown' Freddy Brown, who later joined Johnson as NBA champions in Seattle, posted 27.6 points a game and 268 field goals in 1971. To go along with their scoring prowess, the Hawkeyes had a reputation as the best passing team in college basketball.

Against a team loaded with future NBA players Rex Morgan and Artis Gilmore — who nearly picked Iowa a season earlier — the Hawkeyes forged ahead late by one point. Jacksonville had the ball and guard Vaughn Wedeking heaved up a desperation shot. Forward Pembrook Burrows III grabbed the rebound over Iowa's Chad Calabria for the putback with two seconds left for the win.

'We were devastated,' said longtime basketball broadcaster Mac McCausland, who played at Iowa from 1964-68 and served as Iowa's assistant freshman coach that year. 'We thought we had a chance to win the national championship. So we go in the locker room and there was not a dry eye, including Ralph and the coaches.'

In those days, losing teams still played consolation games. Two days later Iowa faced Notre Dame and Austin Carr, who scored 61 and 52 points, respectively, in two previous NCAA games. The Hawkeyes rolled up 75 points in the first half and scored 52 field goals — still an NCAA tournament record — in a 121-106 win.

'This is what we were all about for four months,' McCausland said. 'We could have been next week playing Bob Lanier and St. Bonaventure and we'd have won that game. Actually, they would have killed UCLA. The offense of that team, UCLA wasn't quick enough to stay up with the ball and get great shots. I still get teary-eyed thinking about it.'

In 1980, the Hawkeyes were a year removed from a Big Ten regular-season title but still qualified for the NCAA tournament. Senior guard Ronnie Lester missed 15 games with knee injuries, but Iowa was 15-1 when he played. And he was healthy entering the NCAA tournament.

In Greensboro, N.C., Iowa topped Virginia Commonwealth in the first round before knocking off North Carolina State. Iowa then beat Syracuse and Georgetown in Philadelphia to secure a Final Four bid.

'I think we just kind of hung on long enough to get ourselves in the tournament,' said current Iowa assistant coach Kirk Speraw, who was a graduate assistant in 1980 and lettered at Iowa in 1978 and 1979. 'Ronnie came back toward the end and was playing great and played great all the way through the tournament.'

In an NCAA semifinal against Louisville, Lester knocked down his first four shots for 10 points in 12 minutes. Then Lester reinjured his knee and didn't return. Louisville, which was led by Darrell Griffith's 34 points, beat Iowa 80-72 en route to the national title.

The hypotheticals still ring for Iowa players and coaches more than 35 years later. Hansen, who was a freshman guard that year, lived through four straight years of tough endings. Yet that season stings the most.

'You felt invincible and there was no way you were going to lose,' Hansen said. 'That probably was the hardest one of all. Senior year (a 55-54 Sweet Sixteen loss to Villanova), you kind of gave everything you had. With the injury to Ronnie in the Final Four, you always kind of felt like, 'What if? What if you still had the full contingent?''

In his inaugural season at Iowa, Tom Davis' 1986-87 team opened 18-0 and was ranked No. 1 nationally. The Hawkeyes finished 14-4 in Big Ten play and were seeded second in the West Region.

Iowa breezed past Santa Clara in the opener then outfought UTEP to advance to the Sweet Sixteen. In one of the tournament's better games, the Hawkeyes battled No. 3 seed Oklahoma to overtime. With two seconds left and the Hawkeyes trailing by one point, guard Kevin Gamble drilled a 3-pointer from the top of the key to give Iowa a 93-91 victory. The win sent Iowa to the Elite Eight and a date with top-ranked UNLV.

With the Final Four on the line, Iowa sizzled with 58 first-half points. The Hawkeyes led 62-44 with less than 18 minutes remaining. Then the Runnin' Rebels mounted their comeback, outscoring Iowa 27-4 in a nine-minute stretch. Iowa had a chance, down one point with 14 seconds left, but Gamble's lob pass to Brad Lohaus bounced off the backboard and out of bounds. After two UNLV free throws, Gamble's game-tying 3-point attempt at the buzzer bounced off the rim.

It was a shocking defeat for a 30-win team that had eight NBA draft picks. It's still difficult for players to accept nearly 30 years later.

Continues in next post....
Was that Villanova game the one where Pinone kept going over the back on Stokes and Stokes getting called for fouls because of it? Then Houston's band played the Iowa fight song and clobbered Villanova.

I have all those games from 1979 to around 2006 on videotape. The 1980 loss was the real killer for me. Ronnie was a once in a generation player. Maybe more. I practically cried when he got hurt in that tournament in Dayton. When he returned, he wasn't 100%, but he was still better than 90% of any other player. He was killing it against the Doctors of Dunk, Louisville, before I believe he was hurt on a hard foul. And that was all she wrote.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT