ADVERTISEMENT

FRL today re: Teasdale

If true, this sounds like a screw job. Either the ncaa or psu is behind this beauty. Wasn’t it in January that GT was officially released? Seems like a hybrid cross between the 1 year transfer rule and the full release because he didn’t actually wrestle a match but they still want to punish the big to big transfer. And they aren’t taking the whole season because he didn’t hit the mat? What do I know...let me go begrudgingly listen to frl and see what a couple buddies have to say. This is doo doo.
Yep. Penn State told the Big10 how to handle this. You are a brilliant individual. Capable of using your inner thought to paint a mental Picasso picture and deduce you have drawn a straight line.

Reactions: Hotshoe and Ski
This isn’t as terrible as it could be. If true, he’ll miss: UT Chattanooga, ISU, Wisconsin, & Princeton.
He can wrestle Midlands unattached and I’m sure they’ll find 1-2 more opens he can go to in November/December.

For those 4 duals he’ll miss, we have VERY capable backups if DeSanto goes 133 OR 141 (Murin, Turk, Glynn, Happel)
If DeSanto is going to wrestle 141 I doubt in November and December. we see him filling in at 133. So 141 kids aren't possible Teasdale replacements.

so Slushhead ...meaning no disrespect , have you seen any of the articles where females are already crying foul over the results of allowing this to happen in their sports? Is it really fair to them? we eliminate all Performance Enhancing drugs and test for everything under the sun....and yet allowing transgenders to compete is really fair to these females? I have no problem with people choosing their lifestyles...Hell i have a hard enough time living my own life , let alone live someone else's for them. this was meant as a serious point.
It was just a little off-topic is all. Valid discussion for another thread.

Reactions: HawkeyePA
its been proven out East here...that if you cant win a starting spot or may have been banged up somewhere along your way... you just apply for your 6th or whatever year you need and the NCAA will grant it because you are deserving of a fair chance...and soon you will see men who don't win in male sports change to women's sports and dominate those ones....and yes i know it has already started that way...because ...everyone deserves a fair chance.. According toe the NCAA.....unless you happen to be a natural born female competing against one of these trans gender athletes.... then i wonder what did they do to deserve being physically over matched for the sake of fairness ???

Lol If you want to put your gobbler on the chopping block in order to participate in women's sporting events, knock your self out. Before hand. (This one me might hurt..)

Last edited:
its been proven out East here...that if you cant win a starting spot or may have been banged up somewhere along your way... you just apply for your 6th or whatever year you need and the NCAA will grant it because you are deserving of a fair chance...and soon you will see men who don't win in male sports change to women's sports and dominate those ones....and yes i know it has already started that way...because ...everyone deserves a fair chance.. According toe the NCAA.....unless you happen to be a natural born female competing against one of these trans gender athletes.... then i wonder what did they do to deserve being physically over matched for the sake of fairness ???
Anybody who is so worked up over transgender issues that they can't help but insert them into a discussion completely unrelated needs to take a look in the mirror and figure out why they're so upset.

For the record, the idea that male athletes who aren't good enough to succeed at the highest level are going to change their entire identity, go through expensive and difficult hormone therapy, and deal with the social difficulties of being trans like limited job opportunities and an increase in the likelihood of being a victim of violent crime or discrimination just to win at sports is, to put it very mildly, laughable.

Find another bogeyman to worry about because this one will never live up to the fears you've constructed in your head.

Anybody who is so worked up over transgender issues that they can't help but insert them into a discussion completely unrelated needs to take a look in the mirror and figure out why they're so upset.

For the record, the idea that male athletes who aren't good enough to succeed at the highest level are going to change their entire identity, go through expensive and difficult hormone therapy, and deal with the social difficulties of being trans like limited job opportunities and an increase in the likelihood of being a victim of violent crime or discrimination just to win at sports is, to put it very mildly, laughable.

Find another bogeyman to worry about because this one will never live up to the fears you've constructed in your head.

The issue isn't boys/men faking who they are to dominate girls/women's sports -- I agree that few (though not zero) would do that. The issue is that athletes with male genetic advantage are being allowed to compete with females. That is happening, even in wrestling, and it's not fair to the other girl/women competitors.

The issue isn't boys/men faking who they are to dominate girls/women's sports -- I agree that few (though not zero) would do that. The issue is that athletes with male genetic advantage are being allowed to compete with females. That is happening, even in wrestling, and it's not fair to the other girl/women competitors.
The only instance I've seen in wrestling was the case in Texas. That athlete wanted to compete in the boys division, but the state government wouldn't let him. This is not happening in serious numbers and the whole issue is only used to stoke culture war fears of people who don't understand the reality of the situation.

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King
The only instance I've seen in wrestling was the case in Texas. That athlete wanted to compete in the boys division, but the state government wouldn't let him. This is not happening in serious numbers and the whole issue is only used to stoke culture war fears of people who don't understand the reality of the situation.

It's a culture war issue I guess (and a trans' rights vs women's rights issue), but I'd stick to the merits of the policy and not get into the politics.

One thing to think this stuff, another to post it. Wow.
I see that this has already been answered, but he did point out ACTUAL events, so you're the one who is mistaken. It has nothing to do with "thinking" or posting. This is reality in 2019.

Debate all you want about the merits of 6 year medical red shirts and why some get them and some don't. That's fair.

Its happened in multiple sports. I am not searching for links. It is very real as stated.

But Murin doesn't have a shirt to use. If he sits because he is beat out for a spot, that isn't any different from anyone else "losing" a year of competition because they were beat out. Teasdale not being eligible until 2nd semester can hurt only if ADS wrestles attached and then sits because he can't stay in the lineup.

You've got 3 guys hypothetically vying for 2 spots. Only one (ADS) has a shirt to use. If there really is concern that he might be out of the lineup come 2nd semester, then don't wrestle him attached 1st semester. The situation "sucking" seems really easy to work
around, while still putting the best team on the mat during the 2nd half and being fair to all involved. Otherwise, your point would seem to suggest the team would have been better off not accepting Teasdale.

No. my point is exactly what you're saying above. With Teasdale a no-go until 2nd semester, AD will be our starting 133. All indications in the room are that:

Teasdale beats AD
AD beats Murin

So, it is very likely that AD will be manning the 141 spot 2nd semester. And the issue with that is two-fold:

Murin loses a year
AD will be undersized

I get that wrestlers want to wrestle. They want to compete. But it sounds like we're missing an opportunity to creatively use available redshirts for long-term success.

Its happened in multiple sports. I am not searching for links. It is very real as stated.
I know there have been cases of transgender athletes wanting to compete in other sports, and never said there weren't. Those cases are very very limited and don't pose any sort of systemic threat and are completely overblown on the internet.

What isn't happening is people specifically altering their bodies to compete as women for sports purposes which is what the initial poster claimed would happen. That will not happen.

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King
No. my point is exactly what you're saying above. With Teasdale a no-go until 2nd semester, AD will be our starting 133. All indications in the room are that:

Teasdale beats AD
AD beats Murin

So, it is very likely that AD will be manning the 141 spot 2nd semester. And the issue with that is two-fold:

Murin loses a year
AD will be undersized

I get that wrestlers want to wrestle. They want to compete. But it sounds like we're missing an opportunity to creatively use available redshirts for long-term success. We could trot out the same lineup in 2020-21 AND 2021-2022. With any changes in the lineup due to another guy just being better.

This doesn't necessarily follow from the facts you've laid out. If the coaches know Desanto will be at 141 it seems highly unlikely that he will start the year at 133, especially with a capable back up available in Paul Glynn to hold the spot until Teasdale shows up.

Yep. Penn State told the Big10 how to handle this. You are a brilliant individual. Capable of using your inner thought to paint a mental Picasso picture and deduce you have drawn a straight line.

I think you should have a comma after "individual", not a period. Otherwise, fine effort.

I know there have been cases of transgender athletes wanting to compete in other sports, and never said there weren't. Those cases are very very limited and don't pose any sort of systemic threat and are completely overblown on the internet.

What isn't happening is people specifically altering their bodies to compete as women for sports purposes which is what the initial poster claimed would happen. That will not happen.
I'm fairly certain it already has, but whatever.

If DeSanto is going to wrestle 141 I doubt in November and December. we see him filling in at 133. So 141 kids aren't possible Teasdale replacements.
He’s not going from 197 to HWT. He’s POSSIBLY going 133 to 141. He knows already if Teasdale can or can’t wrestle first semester. He could stay sucked down at 133 until the holidays and then have until March to fill out as a full 141. I assume if it’s in the best interest of the team he would do it.

I’m also in the camp of DeSanto/Murin until proven otherwise. Teasdale is gonna need to prove it to me. If our lineup is better with him and DeSanto in it and Murin is odd man out, that’s great because I know what Iowa has with those two (A finalist contender and a blood round/low AA contender).

How did this thread get so wildly off topic? This is absolutely ridiculous, even by cesspool standards.

And from everything I have heard and read, AD is handling GT in the room. Take off the tinfoil hats, guys. This situation doesn't suck. The best guy is going to go, regardless.

If GT beats out AD then the best wrestler is in. If AD or GT goes 141 and beats out MM then the best is in. If AD beats GT and MM stays then the best is in. Get it?

I'm not worried about next year and eligibility. I'm worried about winning right now. This year. This is the open door we've been wanting, now these guys need to kick it in.

The issue for women is the same regardless of intent of the transitioning man. Doesn't make a lick of difference in terms of the threat to women's athletics. I'm not sure why your hanging your hat on that distinction.
I'm not the one that started down that road. The original poster claimed that it's happening and I denied that claim. In fact, I've never actually given my opinion on trans women competing in women's sports.

The reason why it's important is because the majority of the fear around the issue stems from the idea that non-trans men will start gaming the system. That isn't happening and it won't start. That's the idea I was critiquing in his original post.

The actual issue is more complex than that, but the fear mongering about men gaming the system by becoming women distracts from the important things.

Reactions: sstark46
I'm not the one that started down that road. The original poster claimed that it's happening and I denied that claim. In fact, I've never actually given my opinion on trans women competing in women's sports.

The reason why it's important is because the majority of the fear around the issue stems from the idea that non-trans men will start gaming the system. That isn't happening and it won't start. That's the idea I was critiquing in his original post.

The actual issue is more complex than that, but the fear mongering about men gaming the system by becoming women distracts from the important things.

Okay - fair enough.

Reactions: js8793
vhs - i think you're a bit confused about how this is gonna play out.

TNT will have a plan. the best two guys will go at 133 and 141. No one is going to miss out or burn any eligibility beyond not being 1 of the 2 best options.

in other words, if AD isn't going to start at 133 the second semester, TNT aren't gonna run him out there in the first.

That’s not right. The majority of the “fear” (I’d say legitimate concern) around the issue is that biological males will unfairly compete in women’s sports (not that people will game the system), and that women/girls won’t get a fair playing field.

That’s not right. The majority of the “fear” (I’d say legitimate concern) around the issue is that biological males will unfairly compete in women’s sports (not that people will game the system), and that women/girls won’t get a fair playing field.
The estimates I've seen say trans people make up roughly 0.6% of the US population. Cut that in half to get the number of trans people that are transitioning from male to female. Cut that number down significantly to get the number of trans women that want to play sports and are still at the correct age to play said sports and we're talking about an absolutely minuscule amount of people. The only way for this to become a widespread problem would be if men were gaming the system, which they aren't.

Reactions: el dub and sstark46
Simply put, once you enroll the clock starts ticking... You must complete enough credit hours each semester to remain eligible... He probably has not done that. Besides, who cares? If he is eligible 2nd semester, that is all that matters. Nobody ever won an NCAA title in December.

But I thought (and certainly can be wrong) that Teasdale got a (medical) waiver so that the first semester didn't exist. That is grades didn't count and he was going to be eligilble second semester. And since he didn't wrestle second semester, I thought the whole year didn't count.

He transferred out at least by Jan. 23.
https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/...end-teasdale-set-transfer-out-psu/2657214002/

Second semester started on January 7.
http://registrar.psu.edu/academic_calendar/spring19.cfm

But even if last year counts as his redshirt year, are we not assuming he's going to be able to get a second redshirt year? I mean everybody gets two redshirt years now.

And by now, I mean ever since Clark, b/c we went to the ISU meet (12/10/16 -thanks wrestlestat) and ate at Shorts and the young ladies next to us told us that they went to HS with Clark and he messed up his shoulder and wasn't going to wrestle his senior season. And he was in fact, trying to get a redshirt ,and I remember thinking "You can't get a second redshirt".

And since he couldn't get a redshirt, he went out and won a NC with one shoulder. Against Seth Gross, who...well I'll just end it there.

Feel free to give me the example of somebody transitioning specifically for a sports advantage.
Frankly I don't know that you or this topic are worth my effort. Tennis and Track, I would start there if anybody cares.

But I thought (and certainly can be wrong) that Teasdale got a (medical) waiver so that the first semester didn't exist. That is grades didn't count and he was going to be eligilble second semester. And since he didn't wrestle second semester, I thought the whole year didn't count.

He transferred out at least by Jan. 23.
https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/...end-teasdale-set-transfer-out-psu/2657214002/

Second semester started on January 7.
http://registrar.psu.edu/academic_calendar/spring19.cfm

But even if last year counts as his redshirt year, are we not assuming he's going to be able to get a second redshirt year? I mean everybody gets two redshirt years now.

And by now, I mean ever since Clark, b/c we went to the ISU meet (12/10/16 -thanks wrestlestat) and ate at Shorts and the young ladies next to us told us that they went to HS with Clark and he messed up his shoulder and wasn't going to wrestle his senior season. And he was in fact, trying to get a redshirt ,and I remember thinking "You can't get a second redshirt".

And since he couldn't get a redshirt, he went out and won a NC with one shoulder. Against Seth Gross, who...well I'll just end it there.
You only get four years to compete. I'm guessing Clark decided to use that 4th year, with one shoulder, instead of rolling the dice and applying for a medical waiver. The waivers aren't quaranteed that's why they're so risky. They obviously felt he was good enough to compete especially with proper rehab and pain management. If he had been completely incapacitated it's possible he have received one.

Now, had the ncaa denied Gross, he would've been done last year.

And from what I understand those medical waivers typically aren't handed out until after the athlete's final year of eligibility has been exhausted. Plus, with Gross, I believe he would've had to apply for a sixth year waiver as well.

So it's possible GT will get a waiver... We just won't know for certain for another few years.

But I thought (and certainly can be wrong) that Teasdale got a (medical) waiver so that the first semester didn't exist.

This was strictly dreamed up by people on the internet. Teasdale is listed as a RS frosh on the Iowa roster for a reason. He might be able to get the year back later.

ughhhhh heard of Fallon Fox? In MMA as well which is a lot more harmful / unfair competitively than a non-contact sport.

Sounds like you and I are just a couple of dummies doing our best to avoid cow patties here in PA. Your reading comprehension is the real Picasso here. I said it was either psu (meaning they didn’t grant a full release which is well within their right, but shouldn’t be) or the NCAA (whose rules suck ass). Turns out it was probably both. I never said psu told the big ten anything. I guess all that’s left now is for us to go cow tipping...Ladies first.

Teasdale beats AD
AD beats Murin

Murin loses a year
AD will be undersized

I get that wrestlers want to wrestle. They want to compete. But it sounds like we're missing an opportunity to creatively use available redshirts for long-term success.
Yeah - if desanto is going 141 I would think he would be bulking up now instead of mid season... I really like the combo of. Lee Teasdale desanto if everyone fits the weight.

Reactions: HIWILLE and vhsalum
Yeah - if desanto is going 141 I would think he would be bulking up now instead of mid season... I really like the combo of. Lee Teasdale desanto if everyone fits the weight.
I would too if I had more faith in Teasdale. Not because he's not any good, he just has no proof at this level, like everyone else when they come in.

DeSanto is proven. And I don't like our track record for planning ahead and making guys fit the weight before the season starts when we have options, but no sure fire starters at a particular weight.

Hope is not a strategy I guess is my point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT