ADVERTISEMENT

Funeral Stories......

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
At my age, sadly I am starting to attend funerals all too frequently. However, more oft than not, they have been for folks who have lived well and lived long. Today I attended the funeral of my first "best friend"s" mother. She passed at 98 and enjoyed good health and a keen mind until her end. What I find interesting are the stories the children tell during the eulogies.....
Today, this woman's daughter told about how her father and mother compromised on religion and politics before they married. She was a Baptist and he a Reformed Churcher. Her family were wild eyed Democrats who thought the son rose and set around FDR. His family, dyed in the wool Republicans who named their son after President Warren Harding (scandal and all!).
Before they married they compromised.....she joined the Reformed Church and he became a registered Democrat. They lived their 50+ years together this way. They made a deal that my President could only hope to make.

At my age, sadly I am starting to attend funerals all too frequently. However, more oft than not, they have been for folks who have lived well and lived long. Today I attended the funeral of my first "best friend"s" mother. She passed at 98 and enjoyed good health and a keen mind until her end. What I find interesting are the stories the children tell during the eulogies.....
Today, this woman's daughter told about how her father and mother compromised on religion and politics before they married. She was a Baptist and he a Reformed Churcher. Her family were wild eyed Democrats who thought the son rose and set around FDR. His family, dyed in the wool Republicans who named their son after President Warren Harding (scandal and all!).
Before they married they compromised.....she joined the Reformed Church and he became a registered Democrat. They lived their 50+ years together this way. They made a deal that my President could only hope to make.
You know he voted Republican. :)

Reactions: GOHOX69
Haven’t been to a funeral for a good while(praise God) but I’ve been to way to many for my age. 36 and seen several high school friends buried due to drugs/alcohol/suicide. My best friend died from overdose of painkillers after a bad work accident, loved him like a brother. Still tear up when I think of him. Life is precious.

Haven’t been to a funeral for a good while(praise God) but I’ve been to way to many for my age. 36 and seen several high school friends buried due to drugs/alcohol/suicide. My best friend died from overdose of painkillers after a bad work accident, loved him like a brother. Still tear up when I think of him. Life is precious.
My sincerest condolences.

Reactions: The_Joker13
He might have....but I know she’d never, ever vote Republican...I told her once that I voted for Chuck Grassley for Senator....she looked at me, shook her head and said...”oh, Joel.......how could you?” Honest to God..she did!

Yes Joel, how could you.

Yesterday I heard that June was spay or neuter a republican month. I don't want to bring out the knives.

Growing up, my family was good friends with a lady and her daughter. The lady was around 40, a real jokester and all around great gal. Sadly, she was killed in the OKC bombing while working at the Federal Credit Union.

At her graveside service, scores of people were gathered around her casket to pay their last respects. I was standing along the outer circle as someone got up to sing 'Wind Beneath My Wings'. Suddenly, someone near me let loose the biggest fart you'd ever heard. At once, numerous mourners turned around to give ME the stink eye....wrongfully accused of a crime I did not commit.

Somehow I knew our friend was cracking up laughing at the whole situation.

Reactions: ghost80 and rchawk
Growing up, my family was good friends with a lady and her daughter. The lady was around 40, a real jokester and all around great gal. Sadly, she was killed in the OKC bombing while working at the Federal Credit Union.

At her graveside service, scores of people were gathered around her casket to pay their last respects. I was standing along the outer circle as someone got up to sing 'Wind Beneath My Wings'. Suddenly, someone near me let loose the biggest fart you'd ever heard. At once, numerous mourners turned around to give ME the stink eye....wrongfully accused of a crime I did not commit.

Somehow I knew our friend was cracking up laughing at the whole situation.
Not to change the subject, but the memorial and museum is tremendous.

Yes Joel, how could you.

Yesterday I heard that June was spay or neuter a republican month. I don't want to bring out the knives.
My darkest moment in my voting life. I live in fear of the day I pass from here and thru the Pearly gates...,.,I am sure my dad will be there to greet me....slap me upside the head, and tell me, "I thought I taught you better!"

How many of you have actually seen an embalming procedure?

No, but while in high school (with our parents permission) we were taken for a tour of a funeral home....complete with a tour of the embalming room, viewing the instruments, and a detailed description of the process.

It was intended to be a sober experience and it certainly was.

EDIT: Have you seen an embalming?

Last edited:
No, but while in high school (with our parents permission) we were taken for a tour of a funeral home....complete with a tour of the embalming room, viewing the instruments, and a detailed description of the process.

I was intended to be a sober experience and it certainly was.

Have seen many embalming procedures....worked for my uncle who owned a funeral home. Let's just say I don't wont to be embalmed when my time comes/.

Reactions: ghost80
Have seen many embalming procedures....worked for my uncle who owned a funeral home. Let's just say I don't wont to be embalmed when my time comes/.
I think in some states you have to be embalmed even if you are cremated.

I was intended to be a sober experience and it certainly was.

tumblr_o36w3kjYQ91qmob6ro1_400.gif

Reactions: ghost80
I distinctly remember at my maternal grandfather’s funeral hearing his body fart while he was lying there in the casket and I completely lost it, laughing uncontrollably along with a couple of my cousins to the point I had to leave the church and compose myself outside before I could join the rest of my family for the service. I don’t recall getting into too much trouble for the outburst but even at five years of age, I felt terrible about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT