ADVERTISEMENT

Funny Q&A with Spencer

Entertaining interview. The girlfriend looks a foot taller in the picture. I wonder who is in charge of the calamari run.

10. What’s your least favorite part of Iowa practices/workouts?

The amount of games we play is tiring. Dodgeball, kickball, pickleball, mat ball, spikeball, wall ball, capture the flag, hungry fox, sharks and minnows, red rover…it’s always something to have “fun” and sometimes I just want to wrestle.

Good stuff.

:D:D

Nice relaxing interview before Big10's. Very entertaining. I don't like him letting the secrets out of the bag about what games we play, I don't want anyone trying to imitate our f*n factor.

That is a joke (& photoshop) about Kemerer playing baseball at Iowa. He is not listed on the Iowa Baseball roster now, nor anytime in the past 3 seasons.

15. How did you celebrate your NCAA title?

Well, I wanted to be with my teammates and family so I went out to eat with my teammates and then celebrated a little with my family before getting back to work since I was going to try and train for the world trials, and then I was going to compete in Spain, but those never came into fruition.

Reading between the lines here is appears Spencer's health issues started right after you won the title last year.

Well, I wanted to be with my teammates and family so I went out to eat with my teammates and then celebrated a little with my family before getting back to work since I was going to try and train for the world trials, and then I was going to compete in Spain, but those never came into fruition.

Reading between the lines here is appears Spencer's health issues started right after you won the title last year.

I noticed that, as well. I was very curious why he didn’t compete this summer. But everything is starting to add up — FLO’s claims otherwise notwithstanding.

Still, it’s good to see that his spirit seems good. Geeze what a nice kid.

If this was true why wouldn't Spencer take his red-shirt this year?

Reactions: el dub
The not so funny part was when he said he came to Iowa to wrestle, not play pickle ball. Paraphrased.

Let’s wrestle then and if you want to play dodgeball, join a league. Why is Iowa wrestling playing games?

The not so funny part was when he said he came to Iowa to wrestle, not play pickle ball. Paraphrased.

Let’s wrestle then and if you want to play dodgeball, join a league. Why is Iowa wrestling playing games?
Be quiet Souci. Those that don't pay attention may actually take your post serious.

Reactions: el dub
If it’s not true why didn’t he compete last summer?
Well he was still only a year removed from an ACL surgery, and probably to have an actual fully healthy offseason for the first time since 7th grade considering beginning in 8th grade he started wrestling for World Titles every summer. Call it a "redshirt" for the freestyle season if you will. He was looking great the first three duals this year. Tech'd Glory 18-2 55seconds into the second. Then missed Purdue, questionable for ISU but still wrestled and then gassed vs Mackall, almost losing a major in the process. Second time vs Glory he gassed and did lose his major, and has continued to be off since. So his issues def didn't start after NCAA's last year as that would be going on a year now of an illness affecting him.

Well he was still only a year removed from an ACL surgery, and probably to have an actual fully healthy offseason for the first time since 7th grade considering beginning in 8th grade he started wrestling for World Titles every summer. Call it a "redshirt" for the freestyle season if you will. He was looking great the first three duals this year. Tech'd Glory 18-2 55seconds into the second. Then missed Purdue, questionable for ISU but still wrestled and then gassed vs Mackall, almost losing a major in the process. Second time vs Glory he gassed and did lose his major, and has continued to be off since. So his issues def didn't start after NCAA's last year as that would be going on a year now of an illness affecting him.

But from the interview he was clearly expecting to compete. Something changed soon after winning the NCAA Championship.

As far as Glory; yes, he tech'd him quickly in the dual. And at Midlands the first period went just the same way -- took him down and scored a bunch of back points. Had Spencer started the 2nd on top the match could very well have been a replay of the first match. The difference was simply that he started down, went for a reversal and got stuck in a front headlock, and eventually wore out. I see no difference in Lee from the start of the season until now. He easily handles anybody outside of the top 10, and he has about four minutes of wrestling before he is exhausted.

And, yes, there are illnesses that could last this long. Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and others.

Because he thought he could overcome it and win a NC. And he probably will.

It's been said a lot lately, in all sports, but not every kid is going to go to college for 4 years, let alone 5.

I know this place will go into full on meltdown mode for about 24-48 hours if he fails to win a national title this year (I'm mostly talking about those that venture over here for 3-5 days during March, but there's regulars here that do it too, you know who you are), but that is one humble kid and he'll figure out a way to turn it into a positive and learn from it if he does in fact not win a national title, regardless of whether or not he's injured/sick.

The kid is a warrior plain and simple. He's not making excuses so why is there so much discussion on it every day? Enjoy the ride gents. I'm all in on him winning a national title this year for what it's worth (next to nothing btw)

It's been said a lot lately, in all sports, but not every kid is going to go to college for 4 years, let alone 5.

I know this place will go into full on meltdown mode for about 24-48 hours if he fails to win a national title this year (I'm mostly talking about those that venture over here for 3-5 days during March, but there's regulars here that do it too, you know who you are), but that is one humble kid and he'll figure out a way to turn it into a positive and learn from it if he does in fact not win a national title, regardless of whether or not he's injured/sick.

The kid is a warrior plain and simple. He's not making excuses so why is there so much discussion on it every day? Enjoy the ride gents. I'm all in on him winning a national title this year for what it's worth (next to nothing btw)

I’m not optimistic about this year, but I do look forward to after he returns healthy and shuts up everybody who thinks the world has figured him out. I think when he comes back he’s going to blow up his weight class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT