ADVERTISEMENT

Funny thing with #47

Feb 8, 2006
After the verbal exchange betweeen Tom and #47, the official went and sat next to Mike Allen for the 174 matches.

Somewhere at the end of those matches he disappeared. He was the only official not there at the conclusion of the tournament.

Perhaps Mike Allen told him his officiating was so horrible, he best get the heck out of Dodge. I have no idea what was really said, but it was funny that he looked distressed after the Brands interaction.

All I will say, as it is subjective (the stalling calls)... that match was not consistent with tge way the rest of the tournament had been called.

After the verbal exchange betweeen Tom and #47, the official went and sat next to Mike Allen for the 174 matches.

Somewhere at the end of those matches he disappeared. He was the only official not there at the conclusion of the tournament.

Perhaps Mike Allen told him his officiating was so horrible, he best get the heck out of Dodge. I have no idea what was really said, but it was funny that he looked distressed after the Brands interaction.

All I will say, as it is subjective (the stalling calls)... that match was not consistent with tge way the rest of the tournament had been called.
Wasn't 47 the same guy to hit Warner with the bogus stall calls?

IAwrestle‏@IAwrestle17h17 hours ago
Brands is fired up after Alex Marinelli got hit with stalling 3 times in his win over Evan Wick
1f525.png
1f37f.png
1f424.png
#Iowa #Midlands56

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Wasn't 47 the same guy to hit Warner with the bogus stall calls?

Yes it was Warner vs Breske. The dude is terrible. There was another match I watched that is escaping me where it was bad as well. I will have to go back and see if I can find it.

Reactions: hoythawk
I think that was the ref. who I was screaming at through my computer. The truth is that not calling stalling or not calling it consistently is killing wrestling. A ref. and there are a lot who let 2 guys go the whole 1st period without taking a shot. In my non-expert opinion a ref. that allows that should be warned once and then fired. They used to call double stalls all the time. Are they too weak to raise both arms at once now?

The warning and point awarded in second period was warranted. The point given in the 3rd was a gift to Wick. Marinelli was in no way backing up or running to the edge. He was in on some good tie ups which is his bread and butter for duck unders. If Wick would have taken something other than half hearted attempt, Bull probably would have wrapped it up with a counter. That ref needs to learn what is good defense and what is stalling.

This is what happens when they put in the stupid arbitrary out of bounds calls. Half the refs hammer in the early rounds, then swallow their whistle. The other half calls everything "action", and still no FLEEING calls.

If you push a guy out in rear-standing from top, you are FLEEING. If you kick out of bounds in a single leg, you are FLEEING. Hammer anyone that leaves the mat surface to gain a restart or evade a score. Add a step-out. Everyone was worried about step-outs in FS/GR, but we all got over it and guys adjusted. This latest "stalling if you don't let them circle back in, or stalling if you back out" is too wishy-washy and judgemental. Call fleeing. Step-out. We're fine. Don't reward guys for leaving the wrestling surface.

The warning and point awarded in second period was warranted. The point given in the 3rd was a gift to Wick. Marinelli was in no way backing up or running to the edge. He was in on some good tie ups which is his bread and butter for duck unders. If Wick would have taken something other than half hearted attempt, Bull probably would have wrapped it up with a counter. That ref needs to learn what is good defense and what is stalling.
Why were the 2nd period stalls good calls when Wick figure 4 his leg and laid on him. I would have hit each of them with a stall call.

I believe the rules are very specific that if a guy has his head on the mat, that is stalling on the bottom man. I thought the stall calls were correct in the match.
Wrong watch the match again , the calls were not correct in consistency with other similar matches that ref called. That is the key here and there lies the problems.

Bottom man has to open up and at least attempt to get off bottom or else it doesn't matter what top man is doing. The calls against Marinelli were all correct.

If the roles were reversed, we'd be pissed that Wick wasn't called for more
I don't think you should be able to put a leg in and lay parallel on a guy regardless of singlet so speak for yourself.

The calls didn't determine the winner not sure why all the complaining Marinelli won.Brands was frustrated after Lee,Murin,Lugo,Glosser and Young all lost place matches and he took it out on #47 was what I saw.You can't lay on your belly and hold on to the top guys wrist to avoid a cradle and not build up good calls by #47.

Btn plus replay showed Terry coming up behind Allen and #47 just before the 174 match and lit into the ref. Good stuff.

Any parallel ride used to be called stalling. Not sure why it has changed over the years as the rule has not. Back in the 80's and early 90's, If you were lying on a guy, you had a about 3 seconds to get to the side or you were hit. I think it was the '87 IA v ISU dual where Wade Schalles was mic'd up. I'll never forget him calling a stalemate while an ISU kid had a figure four on the leg. As they stood up, he looked at the ISU kid and said clear as day, "lay on the figure four again and I'm hitting you for stalling". Trying to elevate the hips using a fig 4 is fine. Using it to pin the hips while looking for a half or arm bar is stalling and used to be called as such.

Reactions: Chuck C
The calls didn't determine the winner not sure why all the complaining Marinelli won.Brands was frustrated after Lee,Murin,Lugo,Glosser and Young all lost place matches and he took it out on #47 was what I saw.You can't lay on your belly and hold on to the top guys wrist to avoid a cradle and not build up good calls by #47.

Agree the reaction went way beyond the perceived slight by the official. That was an unleashing of frustration that had been building for some time. Directed at the wrong person, IMHO.

There's something admittedly comical about an Iowa coach complaining about stall calls being dished out. I thought that was the unofficial mascot for Iowa wrestling lol I said in another thread that 3 calls against Marinelli in that match seemed fair to me. The right guy won so Brands' reaction does seem a bit odd. I tend to agree with other posters here who think that other emotions from earlier losses spilled over after the Marinelli match

Reactions: HeathForrester
There's something admittedly comical about an Iowa coach complaining about stall calls being dished out. I thought that was the unofficial mascot for Iowa wrestling lol I said in another thread that 3 calls against Marinelli in that match seemed fair to me. The right guy won so Brands' reaction does seem a bit odd. I tend to agree with other posters here who think that other emotions from earlier losses spilled over after the Marinelli match

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Mr. Nebraska troll doesn't realize it was the same official who butchered Warner's and several other matches.

Anyone that agrees with anything that ref #47 did at this tournament doesn't know much about wrestling rules. He was backwards on his calls in almost every Iowa match he officiated.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

You're welcome

Mr. Nebraska troll doesn't realize it was the same official who butchered Warner's and several other matches.

lol Nebraska troll? I can't claim to like anything about the Nebraska program beyond JB and Green when they represent the USA on the world stage. I thought Warner was given points in that match for stalling called against his opponent, was that not the case? Did it get called against both guys? Thinking I may have that match scrambled up in my head at this point

I forget which match but early in the day that #47 ref counted at least 6 times and only awarded 2 for back points..In same match to the same wrestler he missed as he was to slow to get over to count and missed another 4 and only gave 2. He was horse shit all day imo..

I forget which match but early in the day that #47 ref counted at least 6 times and only awarded 2 for back points..In same match to the same wrestler he missed as he was to slow to get over to count and missed another 4 and only gave 2. He was horse shit all day imo..

I recall that match, and the ref legitimately had three 3 counts, never got to a four count because the shoulder momentarily came out of 45 degree. A ref would never swipe six times consecutively - he would stop after four. If you watch closely, there were three swipes, followed by a pause when the 45 degree was lost, followed quickly by another three swipes when 45 degree was there again.

Not sure how many of you got to talk to Mike Allen about the calls #47 made but he agreed with them all.#47 is one of the better officials and was at the NCAA last year and probably will be this year

Not sure how much longer I'll last on this site, with all of the negativity concerning our own wrestlers, coaches, and the refs. I don't mind lively discussions, but not the moaning and complaining and blaming that takes over when the slightest thing goes wrong.

I watched almost every Midlands match (involving Hawks) and was very impressed with most everyone - thought it was a fantastic showing, and am perplexed by all of the complaining and criticism. Seems like many on this board will be satisfied with only perfection by every Iowa wrestler and coach...and the refs.

The sport of wrestling was very influential for me while growing up in Iowa, and I really enjoy following the sport to this day, but it is a only a sport and when the competition is finished I move on to 100 things in this world that are far more important. Just my opinion, but following sports should be a very brief thing that is done in a person's week, to provide some entertainment, enjoyment, relaxation. Our focus should be on the wonderful responsibilities of work, family, improving ourselves mentally, spiritually, physically, looking for ways to help others in their lives, etc etc. In fact, I shouldn't be wasting time even writing this post - it's five minutes that should have been spent on truly important, productive things. Oh well, off of my soapbox now...

Sorry, one last comment - if you haven't officiated any college wrestling matches, then any comments you make about the officiating should be taken with a grain of salt. I have nothing but strong respect for even the "weakest" college officials (shame on Brands for what he yells in anger at the officials - I would hope he regrets it soon afterwards).

Anyone that agrees with anything that ref #47 did at this tournament doesn't know much about wrestling rules. He was backwards on his calls in almost every Iowa match he officiated.

I believe that was Mr. Slowswipe, correct?

Eh. I thought the stall calls were tough in general. Marinelli is on bottom, he bases up, Wick figure fours the leg, Marinelli bellies out to try to clear the leg, rinse and repeat. He scored all the offensive points, and he was on the legs at least as much as Wick in the third period, if not more.

Reactions: HawkeyeEmpire
You're welcome

lol Nebraska troll? I can't claim to like anything about the Nebraska program beyond JB and Green when they represent the USA on the world stage. I thought Warner was given points in that match for stalling called against his opponent, was that not the case? Did it get called against both guys? Thinking I may have that match scrambled up in my head at this point
Called Warner for stalling 2 times in the first period.

Called Warner for stalling 2 times in the first period.

When the guy was constantly backing out. Not pushed out, backing over the line, and every time Warner stepped on the line chasing him, he got warned. It was pitful. Warner wised up and quit chasing him out of bounds. Fortunately, he called it the other way later in the match. #47 was consistently bad most (if not all) of the tournament. If that is what Allen wants from his refs, this sport is screwed.
And the Bull's match was just like Vak said above. Bull could have been called once, maybe twice, in two periods, but Wick sat on the ankle with the figure four most of the second period, and should have been called once or twice as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoythawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT