ADVERTISEMENT

Future HC Seth Wallace

I think Seth Wallace is the best of the best...
when KF retires, its going to be likely the only available will be failed coaches.. and very young unproven coaches.
Seth Wallace has proven himself here at the University of Iowa... there's a very good reason he's been elevated to Assistant Head Coach and the players absolutely love the guy.

and besides... he proved himself on Saturday.. he's the guy.

Remember who our new AD is. She may very well want to put her big stamp on the biggest hire she will every have at Iowa. Replacing a legend who replaced a legend. DEI could come into play here, but she damn well better get this one right or she won't be AD at Iowa for long.
She did just replace Bluder, who’s now also a legend, with Jensen. (Though I do understand the sentiment that the most important coach an AD hires is the head fb coach from a monetary standpoint). Time will tell but imo Iowa could not have done better with this hire. Jensen could have left years ago to be a head coach elsewhere if she wanted but she loved Iowa and the people she was working with. Family likely played a role as well. Point being there’s value in really knowing the candidate and having someone you know is truly vested in the program and loves the University of Iowa, as opposed to a coach who may be chasing the money elsewhere after a little success.

when KF retires, its going to be likely the only available will be failed coaches.. and very young unproven coaches.
Seth Wallace has proven himself here at the University of Iowa... there's a very good reason he's been elevated to Assistant Head Coach and the players absolutely love the guy.

I'm sorry but he "proved" himself by using someone else's game plan to beat an FCS school? I get liking the guy but that deserves a Randy Moss "c'mon, man".

I'm sorry but he "proved" himself by using someone else's game plan to beat an FCS school? I get liking the guy but that deserves a Randy Moss "c'mon, man".
I don’t necessarily disagree with the sentiment but to say he wasn’t involved in the game planning/scouting/preparation it’s naive.

He's really only coached one position at this level. I don't think he's remotely close to qualified to be Iowa's HC.

Then you don't think much of the Iowa program and what talent it can attract as a coach. Definitely top 20 job. We can do much better.

there wouldn’t be a shortage of good candidates for the job that’s for sure .
Wallace should get an interview for sure but if your Beth you hire the best guy for the job, even if it’s not within the program. You owe that to the entire program not to Wallace or Lavar.

Reactions: SI_NYC
Remember who our new AD is. She may very well want to put her big stamp on the biggest hire she will every have at Iowa. Replacing a legend who replaced a legend. DEI could come into play here, but she damn well better get this one right or she won't be AD at Iowa for long.
Yep, she will hire a they/them from outside the program to transition the program.

• Haha
Reactions: SI_NYC
Yep, she will hire a they/them from outside the program to transition the program.
I see you

I See You Reaction GIF by Pantaya

• Haha
Reactions: obfuscating
This is the only way I see it going to Wallace:

Kirk has to know that they'll want to do a national search if he retires at a season's end. I think Kirk has earned enough goodwill he can safely "pull a Stoops" and retire during a Spring off-season, and it won't damage his legacy. A Spring retirement would give Beth the cover she needs to promote from within, and she'd give Wallace a full season as interim head coach. Then it will be up to Wallace whether he can pull off, say 7 wins (or more) out of the first 10 and earn his way into removal of the interim tag.

My preference: Get the best available future HC and keep the best assistants possible, Parker, Woods, Wallace etc....

Hard on for Iowa preference: Phil retires with Kirk, make LeVar HC and promote Seth to DC.

We could do way worse than those two options.

The rumor is that the Minny DC job was Seth's, if he wanted it at the end of last season. Careerwise you gotta wonder if it was the right move to stay at Iowa for the same money, or if he would have been better off at Minnesota this year as the sole D coordinator.
in what world would it be a better career move to coordinate a D on a bad team for a year and get fired?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT